Proposal: Devils - Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Just see if what takes are on this.
I’m trying to address both teams needs. I am a Devils fan so I might be somewhat biased but trying hard to have a neutral and fair take in this.

NJ
Jesse Puljujarvi
Koskinen ( or another cap dump )
McLeod

Oilers
Severson at 50% retention
Zacha

Remove McLeod if Oilers want to keep him . He appears to be a very good prospect that fills a need

Oilers get a winger / C to try to fill Jesse ‘s departure. I’m not saying Zacha is a direct replacement.
Cap room to add a goalie elsewhere.
Severson at 2 mil for two playoff runs . Good top 4 RHD that can produce .

Devils get a much needed winger with size and can play an interior game style. Devils are currently too easy to play against . Jesse adds some of that needed interior game.

Joins the McLeod brothers . Would allow Mercer to play wing in the top 6 instead of 3C where he normally is . Mercers more effective as a winger than a C in my opinion.

Thoughts ?
Can tweak things with what the cap dump is from Edmonton, however the Devils could use him as they are using a 5th / 6th string Gilles and two kids as their starters.
Maybe add a forward or LHD prospect from the Devils like a Boqvist ?
If replacing McLeod from the offer , it would preferably be for a RHD prospect that NJ would want .

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Just see if what takes are on this.
I’m trying to address both teams needs. I am a Devils fan so I might be somewhat biased but trying hard to have a neutral and fair take in this.

NJ
Jesse Puljujarvi
Koskinen ( or another cap dump )
McLeod

Oilers
Severson at 50% retention
Zacha
Pick ?
Remove McLeod if Oilers want to keep him . He appears to be a very good prospect that fills a need. Subtract the pick the Oilers get then.

Oilers get a winger / C to try to fill Jesse ‘s departure. I’m not saying Zacha is a direct replacement.
Cap room to add a goalie elsewhere.
Severson at 2 mil for two playoff runs . Good top 4 RHD that can produce .

Devils get a much needed winger with size and can play an interior game style. Devils are currently too easy to play against . Jesse adds some of that needed interior game.

Joins the McLeod brothers . Would allow Mercer to play wing in the top 6 instead of 3C where he normally is . Mercers more effective as a winger than a C in my opinion.

Thoughts ?
That is a lot for us to give up. Severson at 50% for two years is an incredibly valuable asset, and I'm not sure that the difference between Puljujarvi and Zacha is really all that great.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Zacha and Severson and good pieces but I'm not sure if the Oilers would be willing to part with Puljujarvi (unless it's for a goalie). He fills an import role on the team and is right handed. I personally would strongly consider Severson for a pick though.

McLeod we are probably keeping. Doesn't make sense to trade him for a pick after all that time and effort spent on development. Oilers are also in win-now mode so that kind of deal isn't going to be happen.

What about Puljujarvi + Barrie + Smith for Blackwood + Severson?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Zacha and Severson and good pieces but I'm not sure if the Oilers would be willing to part with Puljujarvi. He fills an import role on the team and is right handed. I personally would strongly consider Severson for a pick though.

McLeod we are probably keeping. Doesn't make sense to trade him for a pick after all that time and effort spent on development. Oilers are also in win-now mode so that kind of deal isn't going to be happen.
Severson at max retention is worth quite a bit. I, essentially saying he is worth the difference between Zacha and Jesse plus McLeod which is more than fair value.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Zacha and Severson and good pieces but I'm not sure if the Oilers would be willing to part with Puljujarvi. He fills an import role on the team and is right handed. I personally would strongly consider Severson for a pick though.

Severson is worth a lot more than a pick, especially at 50% for next season

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Why would the Devils do this? They are slightly upgrading from Puljujarvi to Zacha but taking a UFA goalie and a redundant player in McLeod isn't anywhere near enough for Severson @ 50%
We could actually use Kosk for the rest of the year. Saves us from rolling out kids to get peppered or a terrible goalie in Gilles where we need to score 6 or more goals to have a chance to win

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Severson at max retention is worth quite a bit. I, essentially saying he is worth the difference between Zacha and Jesse plus McLeod which is more than fair value.
I agree there is value there but Severson at his full cap hit doesn't scare me enough to consider dealing Puljujarvi and McLeod if the Devils retain.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Oiler should aim lower and go after Subban instead of Severson. Wont cost much to acquire even with salary retained

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Value is there but it sounds like your Devil brethren believe McLeod is a throw in. I think he will be surprising some people in a couple of years, once he develops a bit more and gains some confidence.
From limited viewings of him, he appears to be exactly what we need on the 3rd line and potentially spot duty on the second if he continues to develop

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why are Oiler fans rejecting it the if it’s so bad of value for us ?

I don't think Holland will deal Puljujarvi unless he asks for the moon in the off season during contract negotiations. The Oilers are thin on the right side and Puljujarvi is the best option there, and Holland worked hard to get J.P. back into the fold. So I really doubt he goes.

McLeod is a guy they drafted late, developed well and is finally showing results. He can move up and down the line up, playing every forward position asked of him. Woodcroft loves him.

I'd rather the Oilers move their 1st, Bourgault maybe a prospect like Samorukov and some cap to make this work. Right now Puljujarvi and McLeod seem to be part of the solution in Edmonton and contributing right now, not later like Bourgault or a 1st will.

Severson is a great asset, even better at 50%.

Reactions: McBooya42

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Why are Oiler fans rejecting it the if it’s so bad of value for us ?

Do you realize how valuable an asset such as Damon Severson at 2 million AAV for two playoff runs is?

Severson @50% retained is worth 2 1sts + from a playoff team. (Think Coleman return, but even moreso considering the massive premium RHD go for on the trade market)

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
We could actually use Kosk for the rest of the year. Saves us from rolling out kids to get peppered or a terrible goalie in Gilles where we need to score 6 or more goals to have a chance to win

Sure we could use Kosk, but we don't need to give away Severson for a few months of him.
Zacha has out produced JP every single year they've been in the league except this year where JP has 2 more points than Zacha. and Zacha doesn't get to play with McDavid or Draisaitl like JP does

Heck we could probably get Kosk for Subban @ 50%

Reactions: Bet the Over

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
NJD are big losers. Severson is likely worth the EDM package. Zacha makes the deal one-sided.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pretty bad value for NJ.

How about this.

To EDM
Damon Severson @ 50%
Pavel Zacha
Michael McLeod

To NJ
EDM's 1st 2021
Dylan Holloway
Mikko Koskinen

Not a fan of dealing Holloway, at all, and he's probably off the table for a deal like this in reality but it seems like ok value but a lot depends on Severson. How is Severson defensively because if he's not rock solid defensively, this doesn't do much for the Oilers.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Sure we could use Kosk, but we don't need to give away Severson for a few months of him.
Zacha has out produced JP every single year they've been in the league except this year where JP has 2 more points than Zacha. and Zacha doesn't get to play with McDavid or Draisaitl like JP does

Heck we could probably get Kosk for Subban @ 50%
It it’s more all about just production. Jesse is a much needed right hand shot , plays a more interior game and is better defensively. I think he does a lot of little things better than Zacha.
Kosk is added to make it work for cap reasons and entices the Oilers by giving them cap room to go out and acquire a different goalie or another piece they are after.
Jesse and McLeod fix two big needs for the Devils. Value we give up might not be great but it fills specific needs.
Tweak the offer then but I’d still want Jesse and McLeod as the return and main pieces .
What if the Oilers add Samorukov and Devils offer another prospect or player or different addition than Zacha?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It it’s more all about just production. Jesse is a much needed right hand shot , plays a more interior game and is better defensively. I think he does a lot of little things better than Zacha.
Kosk is added to make it work for cap reasons and entices the Oilers by giving them cap room to go out and acquire a different goalie or another piece they are after.
Jesse and McLeod fix two big needs for the Devils. Value we give up might not be great but it fills specific needs.
Tweak the offer then but I’d still want Jesse and McLeod as the return and main pieces .

I really don't understand what need McLeod fills, Boqvist has done a decent job at 3C while Mercer has been playing wing. As for Jesse, I think either Zacha with a smaller add or Severson @ 50% straight across should be closer in value than your original offer.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Not a fan of dealing Holloway, at all, and he's probably off the table for a deal like this in reality but it seems like ok value but a lot depends on Severson. How is Severson defensively because if he's not rock solid defensively, this doesn't do much for the Oilers.
Define defence lol. He is good according to advanced stats but with the eye test , when he makes a mistake , it’s a massive glaring mistake that makes you want to throw your remote at the TV.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You won't notice him (in a good way) for 6 games, and then the 7th he'll make the most embarrassing peewee level mistake you've ever seen in your life.

In the big picture he's very effective but the individual bad plays you actually notice will drive you up the wall. His underlying numbers are excellent but the brain farts are obvious and inexplicable, though they don't happen every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad