Proposal: Devils-Islanders

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Every GOOD team is prepared for that lol. The only teams not sweating the expansion draft are the crappy ones. Since every team will lose 1 player, why would we be worried about losing one of our forwards or defenseman? It's going to affect all teams.

Exactly.
Cannot protect them all.

Does not make sense to move Lee for an unwanted return, only to see another young isles taken by Vegas

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nothing defensive about it

Isles with several young forwards getting close to nhl ready, would not touch 34 yr old Cammy's 3 yr/ $15m contract. He would have to be on a similar contract to PAP' s 1 yr/$1.25 deal and even then, isles imo would not move Lee for him.

this is bonkers

Cammalleri played half the year and still outscored Lee last year on the worst offensive team in the NHL

you are SEVERELY underrating how good Cammalleri is. We all know he is injury prone, but still.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
You guys just signed PA Parenteau and Jason Chimera.
And Ladd for 5 yrs @ $5.5M per!
There should be no complaining about old players who can't play from any of the Isles fanbase.

This so many times over.

Andrew Ladd, signed for 7 years at $5.5M per, 18 points in 64 playoff games.

Michael Cammalleri, signed for 3 years at $5M per, 32 points in 32 playoff games.

That's almost double the production in half the games.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
this is bonkers

Cammalleri played half the year and still outscored Lee last year on the worst offensive team in the NHL

you are SEVERELY underrating how good Cammalleri is. We all know he is injury prone, but still.

He is 34 yrs old with $15m left on his contract.
The isles would not touch that contract because they not only have several young nhl forwards fighting for nhl icetine, they also have 4-5 quality forward prospects who either turn pro this season or are getting closer to turning pro.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The isles would not touch that contract because they not only have several young nhl forwards fighting for nhl icetine, they also have 4-5 quality forward prospects who either turn pro this season or are getting closer to turning pro.

Where was that thinking when Ladd was being signed? Not to mention Snow gave Ladd that kind of cash/term

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Where was that thinking when Ladd was being signed? Not to mention Snow gave Ladd that kind of cash/term

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Lee sucks and Cammalleri is one of the better wingers in the league. Not sure why people think the Devils would ever do this. Saves money on the cap they aren't even close to and makes NJ a worse team than they are now.

Last edited:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Lee sucks and Cammalleri is one of the better wingers in the league. Not sure why people think the Devils would ever do this. Saves money on the cap they aren't even close to and makes NJ a worse team than they are now.

Lee absolutely does not suck. What are you talking about?

If you look at Ladd's contract, the last two years are so cheap that a buyout will cost nothing. He essentially signed a 5-year contract. And what, we shouldn't sign an excellent veteran player?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't care about the Isles signing Ladd, but then don't turn around and try to say that you'd only take Cammalleri on a ~$1.5 million contract or something. THAT is what is outrageous.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I don't care about the Isles signing Ladd, but then don't turn around and try to say that you'd only take Cammalleri on a ~$1.5 million contract or something. THAT is what is outrageous.

I was begging to sign Cammalleri when he was a free agent. He and Tavares would have been dynamite together.

I heard two separate rumors, and I'll never know which one is true. One I heard was that Cammalleri's agent actually called the Islanders saying he really wanted to play with Tavares, but the Islanders weren't interested. The other one I heard was that the Islanders called Cammalleri right away, and he said "don't bother I don't want to sign there" (similar to what Okposo did with MTL). I heard these from two separate people who supposedly had connections to the organization, but like I said I'll never know which one is true.

At this point though, we have so many LW's, and throw in our LW prospects (MDC, Bellows, Beauvillier) on top of the ones that are on the roster right now (Ladd, Lee, Bailey, Kulemin, Nelson), there's no room for Cammalleri no matter how cheap he came.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Lee absolutely does not suck. What are you talking about?

I'm talking about in comparison to the player being offered up + how well he fills any wants/needs of the team.

He can't do what Cammalleri does (10 years Lee's senior) in 2-3 times more time at nearly the same amount of money and term, and yet it's somehow a great deal for NJ and a terrible one for NYI.

We've got Zajac if we want a pseudo 2nd-liner defensive playmaking center. No need trading a goal scorer for another third line mr dependable.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I posted in early July that I did not like the term on Ladd's contract,Okposo's contract or Nielsen's contract.

Does not make want 34 yr old Cammy, with $15m left on his deal. prefer PAP on a 1 yr/$1.25m contract.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

How is that outrageous when they already have a big contract locked up with an older player? Cammalleri is not in their future plans. Can he be a really good winger? Sure, when he's playing. Islanders aren't looking to take a contact on like Cammys, with hope of most of it going to LTR. If they're trading Lee, they want a player filling that spot playing 82 games, and in their future plans.

So, how is it outrageous to say they'd take him on a short, no risk contract?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm talking about in comparison to the player being offered up + how well he fills any wants/needs of the team.

He can't do what Cammalleri does (10 years Lee's senior) in 2-3 times more time at nearly the same amount of money and term, and yet it's somehow a great deal for NJ and a terrible one for NYI.

We've got Zajac if we want a pseudo 2nd-liner defensive playmaking center. No need trading a goal scorer for another third line mr dependable.

Isles badly missed the injured Lee's presence in front of the net, during the playoffs

I doubt the isles would touch Cammy's remaining 3 yr deal

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Glad that 34 yr old Cammy with 3 yrs/$15m left on his contract, is so highly valued by NJ fans.
Isles imo would not touch that contract. How's that for reading comprehension?

We value him because we know what he's capable of when healthy. We have an abundance of cap space he doesn't hurt us in any way shape or form. I even explained in my previous post why the isles wouldnt do it as well as well as why the Devils wouldn't do it. Also my opinion of your reading comprehension is still up for debate, considering that prior post of yours that or you just search for arguments, but I'm done with you. Have a nice day keep your player and we'll keep ours, the better player who just needs to stay healthy, larger contract or not.

The fact that you said you wouldn't take Cammalleri at 1.25m is just insane as well. One of the more underrated players in the league. I really hope he stays healthy this year and I think he will, he's had a lot of time to rest and he no longer has to be the man with Hall on the team now. As well as the emergence of Palmieri and Henrique.

Last edited:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
For the record I think Lee is a great player but I don't think he'll ever be a big scorer in this league. More of 20-20-40 guy who has size and net front presence but I am not trading Cammalleri for him no matter what the contracts are.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
so it's basically horrible for both sides

Yeah.

It sounds like Cammalleri is a good fit for the Devils and a poor fit for the Isles. They're just at different spots with different organizational needs.

It does make you wonder why anyone would have thought this would be a good swap in the first place.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
BREAKING NEWS: Bad team wants a young player from the Islanders for their 34+ year old veteran. Bad teams states the Islanders would be absolute fools to not explore every possible avenue in acquiring 34+ year old veteran. 34-year-old veteran is compared to Andrew Ladd and Jason Chimera, without considering the difference between signing a UFA for nothing and giving up a 23-year-old former top-5 picks for said 34-year-old veteran.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

If all this reasoning was dead on then why the hell did Snow sign Ladd for so long and so much $$$$

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If all this reasoning was dead on then why the hell did Snow sign Ladd for so long and so much $$$$

Have you taken a look at how that contract is structured? Its heavily weighted so most of the $ are early when he's actually useful, with less $ going out later as he declines (moving to a modified NTC rather than a full no move as well).

Also, just because they thought one particular guy was worth overpaying, doesn't mean they should want to take all of the ageing overpaid guys anyone wants to dump there. That's not how it works.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Have you taken a look at how that contract is structured? Its heavily weighted so most of the $ are early when he's actually useful, with less $ going out later as he declines (moving to a modified NTC rather than a full no move as well).

Also, just because they thought one particular guy was worth overpaying, doesn't mean they should want to take all of the ageing overpaid guys anyone wants to dump there. That's not how it works.

Devils fans aren't trying to "dump" anything. This was proposed by an Isles fan, and most of the posts by Devils fans have been ambivalent about it

We love Cammy, we're not looking to get rid of him. The fact that Isles fans seem to think he has a bad contract (which he doesn't) is moot.

A lot of fuss over nothing.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Devils fans aren't trying to "dump" anything. This was proposed by an Isles fan, and most of the posts by Devils fans have been ambivalent about it

We love Cammy, we're not looking to get rid of him. The fact that Isles fans seem to think he has a bad contract (which he doesn't) is moot.

A lot of fuss over nothing.

If you guys actually want to keep him that's cool. I was just going by the sheer number of times he's appearing in other trade threads. Its turning into the NJ version of Emelin and a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad