Confirmed with Link: Devils get Alexei Ponikarovsky from Jets for 2013 7th & 2014 4th round picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's still missing something. I'm really puzzled as to what to move around and what to bring in. We need one more goal scorer, and for Zajac to break out of his offensive slump.

It is possible that one of Loki, Butler, Matteau, or JJ could add to it. Hopefully the extra depth maybe adds some competition for them to step it up to another level plus we haven't seen what Loki can do yet. Zajac will be fine, its an early season slump it won't last, we were saying the same thing last week about Kovy.

I'd definitely feel better if we added one more top 6 goal scorer. Roster would be locked and loaded for a deep run if Lou could pull that off, but I don't think it is a do or die type of need though, especially not after what we have seen from the guys already here and the moves Lou has already made. Plenty of time to check out if one of these kids can spark something, and still make a bigger move with the assets we got if they don't once more teams go into sell mode.

One thing for sure is our forecheck should be back in full force come playoff time. Already starting to come back to life against the Pens last weekend and that was without Zubs. Add in Poni, then Zubs come playoff time. Not bad.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's still missing something. I'm really puzzled as to what to move around and what to bring in. We need one more goal scorer, and for Zajac to break out of his offensive slump.
My preferred forward arrangement:

X - Zajac - Kovalchuk
Elias - Henrique - Clarkson
Ponikarosvky - Zubrus/Josefson - Matteau/Butler/Zubrus
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

My preferred X = Nikolai Kulemin, but I'm open to alternatives. Ideally, I'd like to see Matteau get his game ready for the NHL playoffs, because that line would have a ton of size and strength and would produce some goals. But, if he can't, Josefson can slot in instead and it'll be an excellent shutdown line. I do think that one thing we should actively avoid is having both Matteau and Butler (or Barch) in the lineup on a daily basis. Lineup also depends on Zubrus' health, which we shouldn't count on.

Loktionov is a huge wild card, but I'm not expecting much.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
this is just perfect. should give us some depth...

think its because of the zubrus injury...

for the jets, they get the picks for free...cause we could have just signed HIM first place in offseason...

but anyways, its not that much of a cost...

sign him THIS time please -_-

apice3*

We have so much depth on both sides of the puck it's incredible.

There has to be a package deal coming.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
I really really like how much Josefson's skating has improved. He can absolutely fly now and his strength in the corners/on the puck is also noticeably better, but he HAS to contribute offensively if he wants to truly become a valuable player for the Devils.

I love watching this guy play because he makes smart plays and does a lot of little things right, but he leaves you wanting a lot more.

DevilChuk*

I sat here and tried to figure out what my ideal line-up would be but seriously can't. Stems from the fact that there is no ideal #1LW and then we have simply too many forwards who should be top 6/9 :laugh:

Seriousy, Deboer must be happy right now but can't imagine he's finding making a balanced line-up that easy right now either...

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm not sure I get all the desire for a top line winger to replace Parise. The general thought seems to be that he's left a hole in the lineup that has to be filled by some outside source or else. Imo the replacement is already here and his name is David Clarkson. Obviously this is assuming players can be moved around the wings.

I think we're all still a little in disbelief of what Clarkson is accomplishing, but he's earned the right to be on the top two lines. Last year he was playing bottom 6, so with essentially the same team, you swap him with Parise.

Landing a top line winger is not only going to be difficult, but it will also be expensive. Assuming that none of the young guns secure a role on the third line, I think this team will be in great shape if Lou can just bring in a strong, versatile, quality player to play that 3rd line role. The player won't need to be a scoring machine, but strong on the puck forecheck and have some decent hands.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'd be stunned if Poni doesn't play on the 1st line Friday. Zajac needs help to cycle the puck down low.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not sure I get all the desire for a top line winger to replace Parise. The general thought seems to be that he's left a hole in the lineup that has to be filled by some outside source or else. Imo the replacement is already here and his name is David Clarkson. Obviously this is assuming players can be moved around the wings.

I think we're all still a little in disbelief of what Clarkson is accomplishing, but he's earned the right to be on the top two lines. Last year he was playing bottom 6, so with essentially the same team, you swap him with Parise.

Landing a top line winger is not only going to be difficult, but it will also be expensive. Assuming that none of the young guns secure a role on the third line, I think this team will be in great shape if Lou can just bring in a strong, versatile, quality player to play that 3rd line role. The player won't need to be a scoring machine, but strong on the puck forecheck and have some decent hands.
I don't think people are saying find a top-winger. We're saying find a solid veteran who can forecheck and play defense and complement Zajac and Kovalchuk.

Something else this team could still use is a second quality face-off guy, to back up Zajac.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I don't think people are saying find a top-winger. We're saying find a solid veteran who can forecheck and play defense and complement Zajac and Kovalchuk.

Well it's not everybody I guess, but there is that tendency to feel the need to replace with like quality. You look at the current team and it's the same team as last year's with one very noticeable absence in Parise. It's a lot of goals and big shoes to fill, but with the added experience and improvement in Larsson, Clarkson, etc., this team is pretty damn close as is.

Agreed about the faceoffs. That's a good observation.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Well right now it is going to be Poni, but adding another forward like that would be great because it would just give us really solid forward depth and lots of different ways to shake up the lines.

I think nona sort of right though in that some people are clamoring for a true top 6 winger because they are undervaluing what we already have. Zach left a hole, but other guys have stepped up to keep us pretty close to the level we were at last year. No need for big fixes when you added Poni and are pretty sure Zubs will be back come playoff time like Zajac last year.

Definitely agree on a faceoff guy. If there is one place we are noticeably weak it is on the dot. Though it does seem when we need a faceoff win we have been getting them more often then not.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I just hope Lou can sign both Clarkson and Poni right away this offseason. Secure that depth.

Just a suggestion but what about:

Ponikarovsky - Henrique - Kovy
Elias - Zajac - Clarkson
Josefson - Loki - Butler
CBGB

All contingent on the Henrique line slumping. Once Zubrus comes back he can replace either Loki or Butler. You could put Josefson back at center if Loki would be sent back down. Matteau would obviously be sent back to the juniors. Flame away.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
WOW! Surprisingly on my way home tonight I was thinking about Poni, and his OT goal against the Flyers! I had no idea this happened! My buddy did send me a text earlier, but I just now read it! Back where he belongs!

Also after months of speculating whether Lou really wanted to bring this player back, or if he was a Zach Parise sweepstakes casualty well that answers that! Straight from the horses mouth. He was a casulaty of the Parise sweepstakes. Go **** yourself, and continue to rot with the wiLOLd POS!

HOLY **** WE GOT PONI BACK!:handclap:

Semak

I really really like how much Josefson's skating has improved. He can absolutely fly now and his strength in the corners/on the puck is also noticeably better, but he HAS to contribute offensively if he wants to truly become a valuable player for the Devils.

I love watching this guy play because he makes smart plays and does a lot of little things right, but he leaves you wanting a lot more.

I'm with you on this one. I like the way he's been playing and it's just a matter of time until his offense catches up.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Depends absolutely whether Carolina is out of the playoffs picture at the deadline, but if that happens, I see Lou trading for Semin as a real possibility.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Depends absolutely whether Carolina is out of the playoffs picture at the deadline, but if that happens, I see Lou trading for Semin as a real possibility.

Adding more Soviets to the mix, I like. I don't see the Canes in the hunt either, but other teams may be able to outbid us.

they will be right in the mix with that joke of a division they play in

This is true. Never mind. I forgot someone HAS to make it from that division.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
they will be right in the mix with that joke of a division they play in

And honestly, I've been kind of impressed how well they might forecheck too. They're not balanced enough to be a serious threat but I see them as a playoffs team too.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A few ways to get Carolina out of the playoff picture. First of all show up when we play this team unlike last game. We should be able to put this team down if we come to play. Maybe the Isles can play a decent game once in a while.

Other factors in their division. Washington needs to get a little better. Florida needs to stop using Scott Clemmensen in net immediately. There is even a Foster must go esque thread about him on the Panthers board right now calling for his demotion, and the promotion of Markstrom. Tampa Bay needs to get better defense fast. It's too sucky just like it was last year. You can put Lundqvist, or Quick, or Luongo in the net there and they'd still suck with that awful D. Winnipeg is another trainwreck defensively.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Adding more Soviets to the mix, I like. I don't see the Canes in the hunt either, but other teams may be able to outbid us.

This is true. Never mind. I forgot someone HAS to make it from that division.

Seems like they need to add defence. Tallinder + Burlon would do it ? The only thing I wouldn't like about this trade, is that it'd make the Devils an immediate Cup contender on paper.

I'd hate that.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Wow, we are ****ing geniuses.

998AMG_Steve_Buscemi_020.jpg

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How about Jagr? Despite having a decent team, and a great goalie in net I don't see Dallas going too far. Jagr's cap hit isn't good, but who cares when it's a late season rental, and we have millions in cap space? I know it wouldn't look right seeing him in our jersey to some of us, but he could be had for cheap. He likely won't run out of gas though he did play in the Czech during the lockout.

I'm just throwing out ideas. We don't need Umberger or one of these guys with multi years left at those cap hits until we get Clarkson locked up.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I like Jagr on paper but I fear that condensed schedule will completely wear him out. He was already nowhere to be seen after the deadline last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad