Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Why would Fitzgerald want to give a reason for the team acquiring Necas to have to increase their offer though? That would be strenghtening the return for Carolian - a division rival, and team we are likely going to have to go through to advance in playoffs.
Data probably tells you that you should worry a lot less about this than strengthening your own position.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Wait till you see what I have in mind for Friday!
IMG_9079.gif

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Lawson Crouse would be the type of guy I’d look to target. Does stuff well that we don’t as a team, has a favorable contract for the next 3 seasons. Only problem is he is probably not going anywhere. Worthy of a top 10 pick? Don’t think so, but that contract is nice.
Ya Crouse has been discussed here a little and on the main boards some. He'd be a great fit for us, and a lot of other teams. However, they'd need an overpay and he is not the type of player who moves the needle enough to give up serious assets.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
People going nuts before the draft. Trading 10OA for Necas wasnt enough so lets trade Bratt or even Meier. or Meier or even Bratt. Lets trade full farm for Brady. Lets trade Jack and Nico for Mcdavid. Lets trade Mcdavid and Brady for... i dont know. For Saros now?
You should keep quiet or YOU'LL end up on the trade block.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
People going nuts before the draft. Trading 10OA for Necas wasnt enough so lets trade Bratt or even Meier. or Meier or even Bratt. Lets trade full farm for Brady. Lets trade Jack and Nico for Mcdavid. Lets trade Mcdavid and Brady for... i dont know. For Saros now?
Id trade a large sum for Brady Tkachuk. Thats not to say hes some superstar, but he plays the exact way we need; though maybe a little toned down on the penalties once hes on an actual team

Reactions: JimEIV

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This lot poopooing trading for Necas, when it could only cost a lottery ticket (potentially), is hilarious to me.

Meier - Nico - Necas
Bratt - Hughes - Mercer

oh-yeah.gif

They absolutely can.

No they can't. They could only afford it for 1 year top. You really want to go with a top heavy team like Edmonton?

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I like Necas a lot. I just don't think he fits what we need, as constructed.

Similar to Ehlers in Winnipeg. Good player. Shiny toy.

I think our money should be spent elsewhere.

If we got him, and depending on what we give up, I likely wouldn't be mad about it. He would make us better. But i think we can be made better with more balance to team.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You should keep quiet or YOU'LL end up on the trade block.
Im functioneer already. If they will trade me, i will ruin this sheep in revenge.

Id trade a large sum for Brady Tkachuk. Thats not to say hes some superstar, but he plays the exact way we need; though maybe a little toned down on the penalties once hes on an actual team
I like Brady too and I would trade 10OA without any problem. Its a big difference between trading 10OA for Necas or for some player just because fan just dont have patience and understanding of different and better ways of making this team better.
its especially funny when we signed Keefe few days ago and now fans want to give him a team without defense, depth and with offensive oriented Necas who will ruin any chance to make this team better because of his next big deal.
But I would not trade Lenny, Holtz, 10 OA, two unprotected first round picks etc for a player. We can have 50-85% version of Brady for free on the draft. Or future long term defensive piece. For free. For many cheap years. And still we will have cap space for sign OTHER players from the market in the same time. There are no cheap options for trading 10OA, so instead of working on the market, sign good free agent(Skjei for example) and in the same time draft player - we will trade 10 OA for Necas without fixing defense, with losing free ELC talent for a player who can be slightly better than Mercer and will not fix any problem with no chances to fix real problems because of the cap hit for the next many years.
Brady? If its 10OA + Holtz or(and) Casey - I would listen.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
We have our studs in Jack, Nico, Bratt and Meier. While we could stand to add a scoring winger (would be nice if Holtz was that guy), what we really need are complementary pieces upfront. The bottom six needs a facelift. Adding another big contract when Luke and Nemec will need to be paid sooner than later….well, it’s a bad idea. Fitz has been forward thinking in the past so I’m not too panicked he will make a move that hamstrings the team in the future.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and JimEIV

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I know Mercer had a down year, but honestly I don't care one bit about it. Two ways it can go.

He keeps his spark, is a bottom 6 workhorse that teams trade for every year at the deadline and get so much credit from everyone during the playoff runs. We presumably already have ours and don't have to waste assets to get him.

Or he turns into a Hyman, Rust, whatever name you want to throw out there that just sat passenger on a line with some great center while doing all the right things and racking up points. We need that for Jack, I could see him turning into that guy in the next year or two.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
After that Buffalo SJ trade today, I'm leaning to Necas being a Sabre. I'm sure the Canes leaked that Devils info whether or not it was true to get a higher offer from BUF.

Both options are so weird. If the guy wants to play center why are the 2 options talked about teams that already have their top 2 Cs locked in?

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
After that Buffalo SJ trade today, I'm leaning to Necas being a Sabre. I'm sure the Canes leaked that Devils info whether or not it was true to get a higher offer from BUF.
But Buffalo went backwards in the draft from 11 to 14. They added a 2nd at least, but wouldn't Carolina prefer #10 to #14 if the Devils were willing to part with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad