Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
But Buffalo went backwards in the draft from 11 to 14. They added a 2nd at least, but wouldn't Carolina prefer #10 to #14 if the Devils were willing to part with it?

Knowing how Carolina is I’m pretty positive they’d prefer 14 and 42. Carolina loves to trade back and make a ton of picks every year. They want all the darts they can have

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If there is anything the past 2 years have taught us as Devils fans, it's that if Brady Tkachuk is even the slightest bit available via trade, the Devils absolutely must be the team to acquire him. Overpay by 1000x times if you have to. The day Florida made the Matthew Tkachuk trade, the hockey world was glamouring about how well the Flames did on the return and how Calgary FLEECED Florida. What has happened since then? Florida goes to back to back Stanley Cup finals. Wins a Stanley Cup.

If I am Fitzgerald, I am calling Staios and offering this package for Brady Tkachuk right now.
- 10th overall pick
- John Marino OR Dougie Hamilton (if he'd waive)
- Seamus Casey
- Lenni Hameenaho
- Alexander Holtz
- 2026 1st round pick - Unprotected
- 2027 1st round pick - Unprotected

That is the type of massive overpayment it would likely take to land Brady Tkachuk. And I think it would absolutely be worth it. The type of lineup the Devils could assemble with the addition of Brady Tkachuk is tremendous. And that's just for this coming season. Next year (2025-26) the Devils will have the Kovalchuk penalty, some performance bonus carryovers off their books. As well as $4 million of increased salary cap space, and pretty much all of their important pieces locked up to contracts. The could then look to move Hamilton as his NMC turns to a modified NTC.

Tkachuk - Hughes - Mercer
Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Haula - Palat
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
MacDermid

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Hatakka - Nemec
DeSimone

Markstrom
Allen

Are you ok? Seriously

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I really really really don't think they can afford another young star that's gunna be expensive. Our long-term core is Meier, Bratt, Both Hughes, Nemec, Nico. That's going to be a pretty significant proportion of the cap. Then you got the goalie position, which imo, we should not cheap out on.

We should be looking to add to the roster with cheaper, older (or promising younger players but they will be harder to acquire) on short-term, and keep recycling them.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
a cup finalist after how many years and on the back of one of the best players ever. Edmonton was and is not a good team at all.

Edmonton is a good team now. They’ve got some of the strongest underlying numbers in the league and just went to G7 of the finals. Saying they aren’t a good team is dumb. The point that should be made is that they could easily be even better if they were managed better and weren’t spending 12+ mil on 2 disaster Dmen

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Edmonton is a good team now. They’ve got some of the strongest underlying numbers in the league and just went to G7 of the finals. Saying they aren’t a good team is dumb. The point that should be made is that they could easily be even better if they were managed better and weren’t spending 12+ mil on 2 disaster Dmen

I disagree. McDavid and Draisaitl got neutralized and they had 0 answers. They had 0 depth to make up for it. McDavid completely carried that team, until he couldn't anymore.

Btw, when I said they aren't a good team, I didn't mean the on-ice results, I meant more their roster construction, which sounds like you agree with

Some may say, "yea they got to the finals" but like @guitarguyvic just said, if they were better built, McDavid would have multiple cups by now

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Trading for Necas would be exactly what Edmonton did, spending on the wrong players. Can't believe people actually want this guy.
there's literally like.... two people saying we should trade for Necas. Almost everyone is saying "good player, doesn't fit." You're getting into an argument with the masses who agree with you lol.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
there's literally like.... two people saying we should trade for Necas. Almost everyone is saying "good player, doesn't fit." You're getting into an argument with the masses who agree with you lol.

2 is more than 0 and last I checked, other people are saying it's not a good fit so I don't see how "I'm getting into an argument"

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I honestly wouldn’t be too upset with Necas, he’s a good player. I’ll admit that giving up a top 10 pick for a guy who has topped 70 points once with an elite team scares me a little… him apparently wanting close top 9 mil also makes me pause. Also, is he truly the type of player we need to add to the core or do we need a little more variety? I think context is definitely important when discussing Necas here, he’s a good player, but does he fit? He apparently wants to play C.

Trocheck had +70 point seasons on the Panthers and Rangers, but not on the Canes.

They have a peculiar system that’s not always getting guys points.

But I don’t see how we add his salary, at some point we need cheaper production.

Carolina wanted to keep him, he didn’t want to stay. He’s a bit of a disgruntled weirdo. Maybe that’s an opportunity for other teams, maybe that’s a red flag.

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Carolina plays the shots on net and chase as opposed to dump and chase

Just fire low quality shots and go retrieve it until the other team is gassed and gives up a scoring opportunity

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Trocheck had +70 point player on the Panthers and Rangers, but not on the Canes.

They have a peculiar system that’s not always getting guys points.

But I don’t see how we add his salary, at some point we need cheaper production.

Carolina wanted to keep him, he didn’t want to stay. He’s a bit of a disgruntled weirdo. Maybe that’s an opportunity for other teams, maybe that’s a red flag.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a disgruntled weirdo!

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
My opinion is that until Nico actually wins a Selke AND plays like an animal in the playoffs we will be an early out in the playoffs regardless of the changes/additions and subtractions this off season.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If there is anything the past 2 years have taught us as Devils fans, it's that if Brady Tkachuk is even the slightest bit available via trade, the Devils absolutely must be the team to acquire him. Overpay by 1000x times if you have to. The day Florida made the Matthew Tkachuk trade, the hockey world was glamouring about how well the Flames did on the return and how Calgary FLEECED Florida.

I’m going to ignore the rest but this isn’t true btw.

Maybe some idiots thought Calgary fleeced Florida, but who cares what idiots think?

Reactions: TrufleShufle

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Depends on teams draft boards. Some teams may think there will be a dropoff after 11. Sharks apparently felt the need to move up.

Sharks need quality, the Sabres already have that quality so the quantity of picks gives them more flexibility. Canes also have quality guys and might need ELC's to come in and help them ASAP with the departure of a ton of their guys. The Canes are also one of the best drafting teams in the league so more shots they can get, the better for them

If there is anything the past 2 years have taught us as Devils fans, it's that if Brady Tkachuk is even the slightest bit available via trade, the Devils absolutely must be the team to acquire him. Overpay by 1000x times if you have to. The day Florida made the Matthew Tkachuk trade, the hockey world was glamouring about how well the Flames did on the return and how Calgary FLEECED Florida. What has happened since then? Florida goes to back to back Stanley Cup finals. Wins a Stanley Cup.

If I am Fitzgerald, I am calling Staios and offering this package for Brady Tkachuk right now.
- 10th overall pick
- John Marino OR Dougie Hamilton (if he'd waive)
- Seamus Casey
- Lenni Hameenaho
- Alexander Holtz
- 2026 1st round pick - Unprotected
- 2027 1st round pick - Unprotected

That is the type of massive overpayment it would likely take to land Brady Tkachuk. And I think it would absolutely be worth it. The type of lineup the Devils could assemble with the addition of Brady Tkachuk is tremendous. And that's just for this coming season. Next year (2025-26) the Devils will have the Kovalchuk penalty, some performance bonus carryovers off their books. As well as $4 million of increased salary cap space, and pretty much all of their important pieces locked up to contracts. The could then look to move Hamilton as his NMC turns to a modified NTC.

Tkachuk - Hughes - Mercer
Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Haula - Palat
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
MacDermid

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Hatakka - Nemec
DeSimone

Markstrom
Allen

This is the worst mock trade I've ever seen on this board

My opinion is that until Nico actually wins a Selke AND plays like an animal in the playoffs we will be an early out in the playoffs regardless of the changes/additions and subtractions this off season.

He played like that in 22/23, the goals just went dry for their stars in their first run. It's a natural thing to happen, lol

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Knowing how Carolina is I’m pretty positive they’d prefer 14 and 42. Carolina loves to trade back and make a ton of picks every year. They want all the darts they can have
So if we trade 10 for 35, 45, 56 they would like that more than 10?

Why wouldn't they take 10 and trade down themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad