Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Heard all summer let’s trade 10 for a young proven player.

Necas who is young and proven becomes available and everyone all of the sudden is like nah.

very few often a tkachuk becomes available where he’s a top 6 forward and plays with an edge.

You can find the edgy players for cheap in free agency

Reading the tea leaves fitz intends to go for it pretty hard. They only have 2 years left of a goaltender before they have to go find one again

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Heard all summer let’s trade 10 for a young proven player.

Necas who is young and proven becomes available and everyone all of the sudden is like nah.

very few often a tkachuk becomes available where he’s a top 6 forward and plays with an edge.

You can find the edgy players for cheap in free agency

Reading the tea leaves fitz intends to go for it pretty hard. They only have 2 years left of a goaltender before they have to go find one again

I love Necas as a player and would be happy but the contract is gonna suuuuuuuck

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
10 OA & Marino for Necas and a secondary prospect. Something in that range. We may have to overpay for a intradivision deal.

Interesting with the Pesce rumors maybe his rights are tossed in there also.

I love Necas as a player and would be happy but the contract is gonna suuuuuuuck

Won’t any young proven players contract suck?

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I just hope it is rumors only.

We already had offensive only player who can score. Thanks, no. Even for less money.

Necas will get 8+ mil. For 50-60 points? Devils can sign Skjei for 7 mil and build very strong defense. Without wasting pick, draft young talent send use him on elc. But no, its a pain in the vss, we should trade the huge asset for contending team no matter what because... we can't use assets smarter.
Devils already have two 8 mil wingers, they will not fix their problems by Necas at all. They can sign Skinner for 3 mil for 60-75% of what necas can bring if we don't want any defense from top 6 player at all.
Tonns of options on the market. Devils already have Nico, Jack, Simon, Luke, Jesper and Timo. They need better depth.
There are Henrique, Monahan, Trenin, Joshua, Foegele, Duchene etc on the market. Skjei, Dillon, Kulikov for different role.

They can sign Skjei and still they will have a few mil for depth player. Or Henrique or Monahan. God, I hope Fitz will make it smarter. I dint care about inpatient fans, gm with chair under fire is a problem for organisation.
If they will waste 10OA for Necas they will lost ELC talent who will play three years for free, they will lose all the cap and if something will not work, they will have no space for maneuver. Defense will continue to be weak. Depth will continue to be bad and every injury will make a damage.

Or they can sign Monahan/Henrique, Trenin, Dillon/Kulikov or even Skjei and start to be really deep and strong team. With Gritsyuk, 10OA prospect and mobility to make more moves.

Last edited:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Still all aboard team trade the pick

This lot poopooing trading for Necas, when it could only cost a lottery ticket (potentially), is hilarious to me.

Meier - Nico - Necas
Bratt - Hughes - Mercer

oh-yeah.gif

just make the pick Fitz MBN....We can't afford Necas LT

They absolutely can.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
While signing their other young players? We need a LHD and two bottom six guys not Necas imo....

Mercer isn't going to get a huge contract, he'll be bridged. Luke is likely to want to sign for as long as his brother is, so that'll reduce the dollar amount. Nemec still has 2 ELC years left.

I agree, they do need those players, but it's not often an opportunity to add a player like Necas comes up for what is essentially house money.

LHD can be found via UFA or trade (even up to the deadline next season...) and bottom sixers are dime a dozen, I don't think that's what keeps Fitz up at night.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Mercer isn't going to get a huge contract, he'll be bridged. Luke is likely to want to sign for as long as his brother is, so that'll reduce the dollar amount. Nemec still has 2 ELC years left.

I agree, they do need those players, but it's not often an opportunity to add a player like Necas comes up for what is essentially house money.

LHD can be found via UFA or trade (even up to the deadline next season...) and bottom sixers are dime a dozen, I don't think that's what keeps Fitz up at night.
Seems like Pesce is maybe the solution to LD1 with Hamilton, and Siegenthaler down with Nemec to bounce back and defend for him

Past that I dont prefer the idea of getting another top-6 forward; id prefer a medium term middle-6 player whos a bit more physical and can play the game we need more of

Add in a bottom line forward if needed and I think were set

Reason I think going cheaper for a middle-6 guy is we eventually move Palat in the next three years and we keep a top-6 spot possibly open for a UFA or trade that fits better than a Necas or Ehlers (both great options but we arent desperate for that type of talent)

Commit to one of those guys or similar now or later and the amount of roster spots depletes - and we arent likely to ever move Hischier Hughes Bratt Meier so thats four of six already locked down very long-term

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Defenseman are already getting paid look at DeMelo contract.....Bottom sixers are a dime a dozen as every team tries to add them at deadline only to fail....We have fast skilled offensive players...Add MBN at draft in a year or two he's playing (elc) much better than Necas at an insane contract....Last I looked Necas didn't deliver a cup to Carolina so I just don't see him as a missing piece......

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Defenseman are already getting paid look at DeMelo contract.....Bottom sixers are a dime a dozen as every team tries to add them at deadline only to fail....We have fast skilled offensive players...Add MBN at draft in a year or two he's playing (elc) much better than Necas at an insane contract....Last I looked Necas didn't deliver a cup to Carolina so I just don't see him as a missing piece......

So the hope is that an 18 year old, maybe possibly could help in a couple years. When their goalie acquisition is gone and Nico has one year left on his contract. That everything goes right and that player isn't a bust.

Last point about Necas "didn't deliver a cup to Carolina", what a load of bollocks mate. f***ing McDavid couldn't deliver a Cup on his own, that's not how this sport works.

Reactions: mdj12784

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
So the hope is that an 18 year old, maybe possibly could help in a couple years. When their goalie acquisition is gone and Nico has one year left on his contract. That everything goes right and that player isn't a bust.

Last point about Necas "didn't deliver a cup to Carolina", what a load of bollocks mate. f***ing McDavid couldn't deliver a Cup on his own, that's not how this sport works.
He's not alone ...My point is that Necas isn't the missing piece and neither is MBN....We don't need another high skilled one way player we need better balanced harder to play against fwds that are not a dime a dozen...If they get MBN he will be a nice asset to have on an elc....Carolina is trying to get the cup what 5 years now if Necas was that good they wouldn't let him leave....

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He's not alone ...My point is that Necas isn't the missing piece and neither is MBN....We don't need another high skilled one way player we need better balanced harder to play against fwds that are not a dime a dozen...If they get MBN he will be a nice asset to have on an elc....Carolina is trying to get the cup what 5 years now if Necas was that good they wouldn't let him leave....
No, man, we cant find solutions through cheaper trades or on the market. Best assets away only. Until they are not fully nhl ready they are not proven. No one need ELC players in contending teams, Lundell doesnt exist. So 10OA for Necas, Gritsyuk for Anderson, Casey for Justin Holl - Keefe liked him they said.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you're talking a right hand shot for Jack's wing...

Please consider: Necas has scored exactly 2 more goals than Mercer has over the last 3 years

Necas
237 games 66 goals

Mercer
246 games 64 goals

And Mercer is still a puppy.

Giving away a 10th and a massive contract for a right hand shot for Jack's wing when we know we have one that has worked with him in the past would be really dumb.

Edit:: and spending that much to use him as Center which inevitably would be a 3C...would be even dumber.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
No, man, we cant find solutions through cheaper trades or on the market. Best assets away only. Until they are not fully nhl ready they are proven. No one need ELC players in contending teams, Lundell doesnt exist. So 10OA for Necas, Gritsyuk for Anderson, Casey for Justin Holl - Keefe liked him they said.
Lol Guadana adding some sarcastic fuel to the fire....Righteous

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I wouldn’t be upset with Necas, but I’d like something else added as well and I’m not super convinced he’s what we need. His offensive potential would be unlocked on our roster though, that’s for sure. We also need a right-handed shot badly.

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
I just hope it is rumors only.

We already had offensive only player who can score. Thanks, no. Even for less money.

Necas will get 8+ mil. For 50-60 points? Devils can sign Skjei for 7 mil and build very strong defense. Without wasting pick, draft young talent send use him on elc. But no, its a pain in the vss, we should trade the huge asset for contending team no matter what because... we can't use assets smarter.
Devils already have two 8 mil wingers, they will not fix their problems by Necas at all. They can sign Skinner for 3 mil for 60-75% of what necas can bring if we don't want any defense from top 6 player at all.
Tonns of options on the market. Devils already have Nico, Jack, Simon, Luke, Jesper and Timo. They need better depth.
There are Henrique, Monahan, Trenin, Joshua, Foegele, Duchene etc on the market. Skjei, Dillon, Kulikov for different role.

They can sign Skjei and still they will have a few mil for depth player. Or Henrique or Monahan. God, I hope Fitz will make it smarter. I dint care about inpatient fans, gm with chair under fire is a problem for organisation.
If they will waste 10OA for Necas they will lost ELC talent who will play three years for free, they will lose all the cap and if something will not work, they will have no space for maneuver. Defense will continue to be weak. Depth will continue to be bad and every injury will make a damage.

Or they can sign Monahan/Henrique, Trenin, Dillon/Kulikov or even Skjei and start to be really deep and strong team. With Gritsyuk, 10OA prospect and mobility to make more moves.
really great post and i couldnt agree more on all of this. great selection of players too.
the only thing i would use the 10th is on a player like mcgRoar as he seems to fill a need and should be close to make the roster while we get 3 yrs on ELC out of him. to spent it on a player that needs to be paid big bucks and even have to add more assets marino/holtz on good deals is bad management and on of top helping the canes with cap and 10th, no thanks. already sucks to loose bahl that reason. selling low obviously is never a good thing and he had more value then most people think here.

i just hope, this all is to hide from our true targets.

maybe they feel with cap going up to sign as much talent as they can and expect to rise salaries for players even more the next years. but that would be a classic overreaction imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad