Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Tanev, Marino, Jeannot…

The players aren’t being moved excuse has tragically passed away

Reactions: jd1970

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tanev, Marino, Jeannot…

The players aren’t being moved excuse has tragically passed away
Let's look at this...where did these players go..

Tanev--Dallas to toronto
Marino-- NJ to utah
Jeannot--TB to LA

Do you recognize a pattern here????

Players traded between conferences. NJ and TB know that will be battling with buffalo for a playoff spot. Why help them?

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Let's look at this...where did these players go..

Tanev--Dallas to toronto
Marino-- NJ to utah
Jeannot--TB to LA

Do you recognize a pattern here????

Players traded between conferences. NJ and TB know that will be battling with buffalo for a playoff spot. Why help them?
Ullmark.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Outlier bid

Teams trades within division or conference it needs to be far better.

If he’s the clear backup by playing 20 or so out of 60 at deadline , he’s not getting a first.

Boston also believes he’s a byproduct of system and coaching where he won’t do well fr Ottawa

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why does it seem like players, coaches, and management around the league don’t want anything to do with Buffalo?

Every single offseason it’s the same talk.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
High taxes and seen as a boring place if you’re single.
Besides Florida - where exactly do you think there are lower taxes than Buffalo where it would be significant in a contract decision?

No one wants to play for the Sabres because the franchise is a shit show. It's hard to understand when you're a fan, but now that Az has moved to Utah, it's probably viewed as THE WORST franchise in the NHL. That's the brutal reality.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Besides Florida - where exactly do you think there are lower taxes than Buffalo where it would be significant in a contract decision?

No one wants to play for the Sabres because the franchise is a shit show. It's hard to understand when you're a fan, but now that Az has moved to Utah, it's probably viewed as THE WORST franchise in the NHL. That's the brutal reality.
Texas, Nevada, Tennessee, Washington

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Let's not delude ourselves. Players willingly go to high tax locations that have a history of winning and are contenders. NYC. Toronto, LA, etc.

Players see dysfunction and inability to ice a competitive team in Buffalo. There's a reason why its understood across the league that Buffalo is on many no-trade lists.

It's not the taxes.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Texas, Nevada, Tennessee, Washington
I responded to the tax topic, so I understand this is my bad, but I'm going to avoid dragging this thread into libertarian politics.

While you hear this state tax refrain thing all the time, players still are signing big contracts for Canadian teams and in supposed high-tax states.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Let's not delude ourselves. Players willingly go to high tax locations that have a history of winning and are contenders. NYC. Toronto, LA, etc.

Players see dysfunction and inability to ice a competitive team in Buffalo. There's a reason why its understood across the league that Buffalo is on many no-trade lists.

It's not the taxes.
I agree

You have an up and coming team and are a cip fav players will come.

They arent goingvyo a team that is losing

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

It's not the taxes.
Exactly. The premiere destination for players is located in the same exact state as us. Also correct me here if I am wrong but wouldn’t the location be advantageous for Canadians because unlike the US their citizens working and living abroad aren't subject to their income tax? I recall lots of Canucks players taking advantage of this by living right across the border in Washington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad