Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Calgary trying to create every little more ounce of leverage out of nothing as possible lol

That's definitely how I read the comments from elliotte. Tells me 10 almost certainly hasn't been on the table. No way Calgary would be trying to hold out for more than that, so feeding to elliotte that the flames are prepared to keep him because they can win now would be unnecessary.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Eventually Daws will have to play. He's too good not to get a legitimate chance with a decent vet backing him up to take the pressure off.

In addition to his rehabbing of big surgeries, I feel like Daws (And Schmid) suffered from having to be "the guy" this season, knowing that Vitek was the only other option and he was bad.

I think having both the youth in the AHL for a full-ish season will be good for them, but I think any goalie transactions made this summer has to at least consider the season after this one for that scenario.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Schmid and Daws had almost identical numbers with the big club last year. Schmid had a marginally better save percentage in Utica while Daws had a better GAA. The ship hasn't sailed on Akira either so I think them both being in the AHL along with Poulter will create some very good competition for that trio. That's without even considering where Malek will be.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Eventually Daws will have to play. He's too good not to get a legitimate chance with a decent vet backing him up to take the pressure off.

In addition to his rehabbing of big surgeries, I feel like Daws (And Schmid) suffered from having to be "the guy" this season, knowing that Vitek was the only other option and he was bad.

I think having both the youth in the AHL for a full-ish season will be good for them, but I think any goalie transactions made this summer has to at least consider the season after this one for that scenario.
He does? He is?

He needs to prove he is capable. Aside from a small stretch in the AHL in 21-22, his pro numbers have not been good.

Schmid and Daws had almost identical numbers with the big club last year. Schmid had a marginally better save percentage in Utica while Daws had a better GAA. The ship hasn't sailed on Akira either so I think them both being in the AHL along with Poulter will create some very good competition for that trio. That's without even considering where Malek will be.
I think either Daws or Schmid go the other way in a goalie trade. Whoever stays tandems with Poulter in Utica.

Just eye test, but I prefer Daws, if only slightly.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i don't think that's what he was saying. he was talking about how somebody (as usual) took something somebody else said and is repeating it ad nauseum as if it's fact (marty played his hulk hogan creative control card and rescued rogalski from the brink of unemployment).

i didn't want rogalski back either, but in all fairness, he's been given shit to work with and the results reflect it. and that goes beyond the caliber of goalie's we've had; it also speaks to the bonehead system ruff continued to force even when it was clear teams had adjusted to us.

rogalski is pretty far down the line in terms of the problems with this team, most of which can be solved by trading the pick to bring in immediate help now and making a few UFA signings.
To be fair at times it does seem like most of the coaching staff gets hired by people who aren’t the head coach - the assistant being Fitz’s pick, the goalie coach being Marty’s pick, Brylin the fans’ pick and a grunt guy other coaches respect anyway. Maybe that’s not fair but when these guys all survive head coach after head coach…

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's definitely how I read the comments from elliotte. Tells me 10 almost certainly hasn't been on the table. No way Calgary would be trying to hold out for more than that, so feeding to elliotte that the flames are prepared to keep him because they can win now would be unnecessary.
Except…they are nuts enough to think they can win now (exhibit A the last two years after losing Gaudreau and Thackuk), you guys always harp on Lou chasing win now after Parisechuk left, these guys do it too. More teams do it than you think when they shouldn’t, many of them north of the border chasing relevancy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think most of us could agree that while still good in most others years, Ullmark's 22-23 was a career year.

Shesterkin's insane 21-22 wasn't repeated.

That type of season is almost a once in a career season. other than for Hasek.

Lundqvist's 11-12, Price's 14-15. Luongo's 03-04. Bobrovsky's 16-17. Quick's 11-12 (not a Vezina winning year cause of Lundqvist), Mike Smith's 11-12 (not a Vezina winning year cause of Lundqvist). Pekka Rinne's 10-11 (not a Vezina winning year cause of Thomas), Ryan Miller's 09-10.

Guys like Marty or more recently Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck didn't have one of those really huge peak seasons, but all were/are a bit more consistent from year to year.

Tim Thomas had two seasons like that in 08-09 and 10-11. He lost his starting job to Rask during the season in between that though.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think that Daws has shown a lot of promise. They rode him into the ground during their worst stretch as a team before Lindy got canned. He started 10 out of 11 at one point including in back-to-back nights.

I'm intrigued by what both he and Schmid can show this year, if they are both around. I feel as though there just aren't enough spots at the moment and one of them will be flipped in a goalie trade potentially. You've got whoever we acquire presumably, Allen, Daws, Schmid, Poulter, Brennan, Malek. Where the hell are all these guys going to play? :laugh: Do we think they'll trot Daws and Schmid out in the AHL for one more year and kick the can down the road for another year?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The best goalie in the league…benched for someone playing better in the playoffs?!
I think we can accurately figure there was another factor in play there.

I think most of us could agree that while still good in most others years, Ullmark's 22-23 was a career year.

Shesterkin's insane 21-22 wasn't repeated.

That type of season is almost a once in a career season. other than for Hasek.

Lundqvist's 11-12, Price's 14-15. Luongo's 03-04. Bobrovsky's 16-17. Quick's 11-12 (not a Vezina winning year cause of Lundqvist), Mike Smith's 11-12 (not a Vezina winning year cause of Lundqvist). Pekka Rinne's 10-11 (not a Vezina winning year cause of Thomas), Ryan Miller's 09-10.

Guys like Marty or more recently Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck didn't have one of those really huge peak seasons, but all were/are a bit more consistent from year to year.

Tim Thomas had two seasons like that in 08-09 and 10-11. He lost his starting job to Rask during the season in between that though.
Shesterkin may never hit .93 again, but I bet he has multiple .92's left in him.

Reactions: Bleedred

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Except…they are nuts enough to think they can win now (exhibit A the last two years after losing Gaudreau and Thackuk), you guys always harp on Lou chasing win now after Parisechuk left, these guys do it too. More teams do it than you think when they shouldn’t, many of them north of the border chasing relevancy.

I suppose there's some possibility that they think that they can win enough to impact these types of decisions, but I find it difficult to reconcile "yeah we are willing and ready to trade Markstrom" and "well, we still think we can be winners so we may keep him" at the same time. These two things together, on the heels of "Toronto and ottawa are super interested in Markstrom" tells me "up your offer" when I put it through my 'negotiating through the media' translator.

If they are ready and willing to move him, but may not, it's because they didn't get an offer they wanted to make it worth their time. They can say it's because they think they can win (that plays really well with the casual fan), but it ultimately comes down to not having an offer they want.

Also, I think we need to really evaluate the last two years for Calgary. A lot has changed over the those two years and where they are now, is not nearly the same place they were two years ago. Two years ago, they tried to re-sign Johnny. Why wouldn't they? They just finished first in the pacific and won a playoff round. Their HC was Sutter and their GM was Treliving.

They couldn't re-sign Johnny and decided to pivot. The bones of the team were still good, so a re-tool was actually a viable option. They lost Johnny, traded Tkachuk for two good players who they could sign to extensions. So they moved Johnny & Tkachuk out, brought in Weegar, Huberdeau and Kadri. When you add that to the guys who were already there (Markstrom, Tanev, Hanafin, Backlund, lindholm, Coleman, Zadorov, Toffoli, Mangiapine) I mean, that's still a possibly a really good team on paper.

But in that first year, Huberdeau and Kadri busted, Markstrom was bad, the team was wholly mediocre. Sutter and Treliving were canned.

Conroy came in and in his first year unloaded Toffoli, Lindholm, Zadorov, Hanafin, Tanev for a lot of futures and two NHL players that they had for an extra year of control (and I suspect Kuzmenko to be moved for futures this year, most likely). This team is just in a different space now than 2 years ago. Their actions under Conroy have been to fully turnover and turning the page.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018

First minute is CJ on markstrom

"Calgary wants a certain amount, New Jersey only willing to go so far"

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Reactions: Bleedred and Forge

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
i know i'm at least .08 right now. pucks shot at me wouldn't hurt so much.
IMG_9823.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

First minute is CJ on markstrom

"Calgary wants a certain amount, New Jersey only willing to go so far"
I get that, but if Markstrom has asked for a trade at what point does he push on them? This issue is Calgary's own doing. However the discussions went down, Calgary ultimately walked away but not before they alienated Markstrom. I'm skeptical that plays out in a great way for them.

Reactions: NJDevs26 and HBK27

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shesterkin may never hit .93 again, but I bet he has multiple .92's left in him.
For sure. I didn't mean it as in he won't have another monster season again. Just probably not one quite that good. It feels like most goalies (not including Hasek) have that peak season like those I mentioned, and they usually don't repeat it, but most of them still stay very good.

Tim Thomas was the one non-Hasek exception I can think of. His career was very unique though. Much like him having two different seasons like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad