Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I wouldnt take Laine for free with that contract tbh
2 years, if he's retained $1.5 for year that's a very low risk 7.2 per year for only two more seasons. Devils cap is in great shape and the contract ends before they owe the kids some cash. Kinda fits perfectly in the top-6. Plus that shot? After catching passes from Bratt? Sheesh, I want.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
2 years, if he's retained $1.5 for year that's a very low risk 7.2 per year for only two more seasons. Devils cap is in great shape and the contract ends before they owe the kids some cash. Kinda fits perfectly in the top-6. Plus that shot? After catching passes from Bratt? Sheesh, I want.
He can't skate and is a literal drag defensively..not to mention how many times has he asked out in his career?

No interest.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The Devils can eat his contract this coming season.
Next season will be a mess with Luke needing an extension.

It can probably be squeezed in but there won't be any other non-replacement level players brought ino over the next two years because of it.

Probably not worth it.

Reactions: Nubmer6

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We will have no bald slander here. Our GM and color commentator are both rocking chrome domes.

Where is @NjDevsRR with the OutragedDano.jpg when you need him? :laugh:
IMG_2004.jpeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I wouldnt take Laine for free with that contract tbh

There's only maybe 1-2 spots in the whole league who'd even entertain his full contract and it'd be someone like Chicago but the fit with Bedard wouldn't even make sense since both are volume shooters. Laine at 50% next to Jack/Bratt would be an all world line, but yeah, you're risking a Nichuskin like implosion at any time with Laine.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Was Schmid the reason we lost to Carolina in the playoffs? I don't think so. Yes, we need a good goalie. But a no goalie is a magic wand. There seems to be a very, imo, false line of thinking that "All we need is a good goalie". No, sorry, the team would have been no better this past year with Markstrom, Ullmark or Saros. This is evidenced by Allen and Kahk playing phenomenal down the stretch and the team still being completely unable to string multiple wins together. There are other things that need to be addressed. Goalie is just one. We can't leave the other holes, or potentially create more, trying to get a goalie we think will magically fix everything.

Yes/no

Yes, because we've seen Carolina lose to actual goalies who can stop the puck at a good rate (Shesty/Vasy/Bob, maybe just get a random Russian goalie in net v them :laugh:) in the playoffs recently due to their dumb system of quantity v quality come post season.

No, because they were the worst possible matchup for this team in 22/23. The 2 games they won were games that Kotchekov completely imploded in the regular season and then same for that game 3 where we won 8-4.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'd like to sign Kahkonen regardless. Because then at least he'd be an asset we could trade. More the better if we have to go into the season with him and Jake Allen, and he plays well. I don't see the downside, really.

There isn't, but I wouldn't sign a contract for a team whose GM said I was just filler until the season ended. Fitz soured on this guy before he even got here. Feels a lot like Bo, Tatar, Rango, etc. He's almost certainly not coming back because Fitz has already decided he doesn't want him back for whatever reason.

Reactions: My3Sons

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I'd like to sign Kahkonen regardless. Because then at least he'd be an asset we could trade. More the better if we have to go into the season with him and Jake Allen, and he plays well. I don't see the downside, really.
Kähkönen played few good games with the Devils, but he isn't particularly good goalie. That's the downside.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Don’t think Fitzgerald has any intention of keeping him, he practically said as much.

I’ve said it before, but there’s a solid chance Fitzgerald’s job security falls on how the goaltending performs next year. He’s absolutely going to get a goaltending duo (or maybe even four if Schmid/Daws are in the AHL) that is too good to fail.

Kahkonen is more of the same of guys like Vanecek/Blackwood that their numbers vary wildly from year to year. Fitz can’t risk that.

Reactions: devilsblood

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Kahkonen has no reason to sign here unless we trade Allen. There's tons of goalie spots available around the league. He will have better opportunities than being a 3rd goalie here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s not realistic to keep Kahkonen unless you either A) go all in on Allen being a 1A, or B) trade Allen after you’ve just spent the better part of a year trying to convince him to waive a NTC and make Kakhonen the backup. There isn’t any room to stash him in the AHL either.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kahkonen has no reason to sign here unless we trade Allen. There's tons of goalie spots available around the league. He will have better opportunities than being a 3rd goalie here.
Or we don't acquire another starter level goalie. Which I know Fitz is pretty dead set on acquiring.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd take him at $5-5.5M, maybe up to $6M but its a risk. Also if we are bringing him in, are we bumping Meier off PP1 again? You are partly likely brining him in for his PP value, not sure Laine would end up on PP2 and be effective.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Don’t think Fitzgerald has any intention of keeping him, he practically said as much.

I’ve said it before, but there’s a solid chance Fitzgerald’s job security falls on how the goaltending performs next year. He’s absolutely going to get a goaltending duo (or maybe even four if Schmid/Daws are in the AHL) that is too good to fail.

Kahkonen is more of the same of guys like Vanecek/Blackwood that their numbers vary wildly from year to year. Fitz can’t risk that.
he is going to try and get that, but is a Markstrom Allen combo a lock to be good? I mean I figure it will be better then what we saw for much of last year but I could see it being below average.

I do like going 4 deep though organizationally...........even if that 4th is Poulter. Which is kind of interesting in that I'm into the idea of trading Scmid to acquire a #1, and think Poulter may have better long term promise, but I like Schmid in the near term, Id be a little wary if we had to turn to Poulter at some point next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad