GDT: Devils @ Canes Game 1: Back to the Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So apparently NJD lost 5-1 because the refs had it out for them, or at least that's what they're whining about. Could Martinook have been called for knocking Siegs helmet off, sure, but that's one I rarely see called (and it's happened to us several times)...and there's about 15 pretty obvious penalties that could have been called on them as well if we're going to break-out the CSI camera. And whining about the missed double-minor high-stick on Hughes...again, we have to explain to another fan-base that if you stick lift an opponents stick into your own face, it's NOT a penalty. Are they drinking from the same river in Newark as Elmont?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
After finally getting to see the first two periods:

My initial liking of those line combinations were confirmed. I like adding the youth and speed to Staal to bug Hughes all game as he touched the puck.
That 2nd shutdown line with KK, marty, fast did a number on Hischier’s group.

We had the shots advantage 5v5 against hughes and hischier 10-9.

We shut the down the first period. The “shot” awarded to NJ was a mercy tally.

I wonder if NJ tries to get Hughes on stretch passes in game 2 instead of handling the puck as much as he did in game 1. We were obviously keyed in on Hughes as soon as he received a pass in the defensive or neutral zones.

No half wall or point shots blocked that led to odd man rushes were key.

We let off the gas too much after going up 3. They scored and then swarmed us for the next 5 minutes, almost making it a game again. We can’t let up against this squad. Too much speed and scoring talent to give them an inch.

So apparently NJD lost 5-1 because the refs had it out for them, or at least that's what they're whining about. Could Martinook have been called for knocking Siegs helmet off, sure, but that's one I rarely see called (and it's happened to us several times)...and there's about 15 pretty obvious penalties that could have been called on them as well if we're going to break-out the CSI camera. And whining about the missed double-minor high-stick on Hughes...again, we have to explain to another fan-base that if you stick lift an opponents stick into your own face, it's NOT a penalty. Are they drinking from the same river in Newark as Elmont?
They were supposed to wipe the floor with us since we have 3 injuries to the top 6. They need to have an excuse for why they didn’t.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I wonder if NJ tries to get Hughes on stretch passes in game 2 instead of handling the puck as much as he did in game 1. We were obviously keyed in on Hughes as soon as he received a pass in the defensive or neutral zones.

It'll be tough. Once we went up, we sat back defensively with an effort to take away stretch passes. Might not have been picked up well on TV, but there's a reason they had to carry everything into the zone. We hedged to take away their speed advantage, and it really hurt what they were trying to do.

We let off the gas too much after going up 3. They scored and then swarmed us for the next 5 minutes, almost making it a game again. We can’t let up against this squad. Too much speed and scoring talent to give them an inch.

Even when NJ was humming in the 2nd period, there wasn't much overly dangerous that we gave them. They had some room to operate in the offensive zone, but precious few opportunities that actually made it through to Freddie. We clogged up shooting and passing lanes and didn't really give them much to work with. And the few opportunities that did reach Freddie, we had someone right there to clean it up immediately. Its not a coincidence that the only goal they scored was off a breakaway when we got mixed up at center ice.

They were supposed to wipe the floor with us since we have 3 injuries to the top 6. They need to have an excuse for why they didn’t.

You know, sitting in the parking lots after the game, I started to wonder... Are we a better team when we deal with adversity? And by that I mean, when we have some of our higher skilled players out and we have to lean into the system, we tend to play some of our best hockey of the season, and its been that way for a few years. When we cannot rely on one or two players to step up and everyone buys in at the same time, the overall team play seems to ramp up to a level that we didn't think possible.

Don’t see the Devils complaining about their PP from their guy falling down and Burns getting called for tripping and not even touching the guy.
Oh Burns touched him. The guy changed direction to skate into him, dragged his trailing foot to lightly clip Burns, and then threw himself into the boards to get the penalty.

It was a really bad call at the time. At the very least, embellishment needed to be tacked onto it.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It'll be tough. Once we went up, we sat back defensively with an effort to take away stretch passes. Might not have been picked up well on TV, but there's a reason they had to carry everything into the zone. We hedged to take away their speed advantage, and it really hurt what they were trying to do.

Even when NJ was humming in the 2nd period, there wasn't much overly dangerous that we gave them. They had some room to operate in the offensive zone, but precious few opportunities that actually made it through to Freddie. We clogged up shooting and passing lanes and didn't really give them much to work with. And the few opportunities that did reach Freddie, we had someone right there to clean it up immediately. Its not a coincidence that the only goal they scored was off a breakaway when we got mixed up at center ice.

You know, sitting in the parking lots after the game, I started to wonder... Are we a better team when we deal with adversity? And by that I mean, when we have some of our higher skilled players out and we have to lean into the system, we tend to play some of our best hockey of the season, and its been that way for a few years. When we cannot rely on one or two players to step up and everyone buys in at the same time, the overall team play seems to ramp up to a level that we didn't think possible.

Oh Burns touched him. The guy changed direction to skate into him, dragged his trailing foot to lightly clip Burns, and then threw himself into the boards to get the penalty.

It was a really bad call at the time. At the very least, embellishment needed to be tacked onto it.
According to Natural stat trick, they had a 6-1 HD chance advantage at 5v5 in the 2nd. They also had a higher xG total at 5v5 in the whole game.

We outscored our 5v5 xG total by 2.2.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

This looks like it could have originated here.

If it originated here, it would look more like this:

1683205246607.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
According to Natural stat trick, they had a 6-1 HD chance advantage at 5v5 in the 2nd. They also had a higher xG total at 5v5 in the whole game.

We outscored our 5v5 xG total by 2.2.
I mean I will reiterate. The NJ defense was straight up bad last night. Our speed was an issue for them, and if they don't adjust, we're going to light them up every night. At the end of the day, with the high danger chances we did have with the looks we had, that's a game we realistically could have won 8-3 if both teams cashed in when they had their chances.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You know, sitting in the parking lots after the game, I started to wonder... Are we a better team when we deal with adversity? And by that I mean, when we have some of our higher skilled players out and we have to lean into the system, we tend to play some of our best hockey of the season, and its been that way for a few years.
Exhibit A: the David Ayres game.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Considering the Siegs should have been penalized himself for not going straight to the bench after "disengaging" then they would not have had a PP anyway.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Although a Ghost jersey would be somewhat acceptable these days.

The line of Drury/Staal/Necas completely negated the Hughes line.... They did shift back to Martinook/Staal/Fast when the goalie was pulled.

That was some good shit from Brind'Amour. Two speedsters to help Jordo negate Jack shit. (I'm being rude on purpose, Summer Rose, not by habit!)

Then back to regular line-up for MT Knett, and lo and behold, one of the three Jespers in the game scores. Pretty. (And hey, it's two for the trio combined. Sebastians Aho vibes from the hockey gods.)

I admit I'm stoked for this result.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
That was some good shit from Brind'Amour. Two speedsters to help Jordo negate Jack shit. (I'm being rude on purpose, Summer Rose, not by habit!)

Then back to regular line-up for MT Knett, and lo and behold, one of the three Jespers in the game scores. Pretty. (And hey, it's two for the trio combined. Sebastians Aho vibes from the hockey gods.)

I admit I'm stoked for this result.

The bottom line is the way our PK is playing the Canes are very very hard to beat at home, Since we have home ice in any series we play the rest of the SCP it's even more essential not to allow a team to steal a home game from us in one or two, the PK is 21/22 (1 second from being perfect) In my opinion there are no elite goalies left and it's wide open.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Last night's performance was superb and matched their best game of the year when the Canes smoked the Bolts on March 6th, 6-0.

Friday night is a BIG game since with a quick Sunday turnaround with series momentum they could go up 3-0 by Sunday evening (or be down 2-1).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes move to 19-5 under Brind'Amour in the playoffs when not allowing a PPG. They're 10-21 when they do.

If they can just avoid going up against a hot PP this year...
I mentioned this in another thread.

Leading penalties minutes taken / 60 last year in the playoffs for Carolina:

1) Lorentz (due to a misconduct though, only 1 minor taken)
2) Brendan Smith (6 minors taken)
3) Martinook (only 2 penalties taken so due to small sample size as he only played 6 games)
4) Svechnikov (7 penalties taken)
5) Ian Cole (5 penalties taken)
6) Neiderreiter (5 penalties taken)
7) DeAngelo (6 penalties taken)
8) Trocheck (5 penalties taken)

So other than Martinook, who only played 6 games, every one of these players is not playing for Carolina in these playoffs.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I mentioned this in another thread.

Leading penalties taken / 60 last year in the playoffs for Carolina:

1) Lorentz (due to a misconduct though, only 1 minor taken)
2) Brendan Smith (6 minors taken)
3) Martinook (only 2 penalties taken so due to small sample size as he only played 6 games)
4) Svechnikov (7 penalties taken)
5) Ian Cole (5 penalties taken)
6) Neiderreiter (5 penalties taken)
7) DeAngelo (6 penalties taken)
8) Trocheck (5 penalties taken)

So other than Martinook, who only played 6 games, every one of these players is not playing for Carolina in these playoffs.
That’s pretty crazy. I wonder if that’s something they identified when looking for replacements?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad