Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire Andrei Loktionov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
you people are ridiculous. (what do you mean "you people") nobody would complain if a defender said he didn't want to play wing, or if kovalchuk said he couldn't play center. and hell nobody would complain if zajac or henrique said he didn't want to play wing, but because a player that hasn't made the team yet says it it's all of a sudden terrible? get a grip. most players in the nhl are severely less effective when they don't play in their position. hell there are arguments daily here about moving kovalchuk back to lw because blah blah blah. why can't the same be true for loktionov? we've been spoiled by players like elias, josefson, carter, zubrus, harrold etc that can move around with no problem. the truth is most players aren't like that.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It's not that only being able to play one position or only wanting to do so is a bad thing, a ton of players have been that way

The problem here is Loki's situation - he's a kid trying to stick in the NHL on a team that could live without him being in the lineup and that needs depth on the wing rather than at C and the first thing he says is that he wants to play C because it is a huge problem for him playing elsewhere - well our problems right now are not at center and as I mentioned earlier, that makes it difficult on himself here

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Another example: Ovechkin and his massive cap-hit can't play on his natural wing. We're definitely spoiled. haha :D

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I want another old english style pre-game speech from you! I showed all my friends your last one, they're ****ing hilarious :laugh:

:laugh: which one? the 'tar pits' one?

as a whole, theyre too time consuming. but for games against the rangers and in the playoffs im willing to dedicate the time

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
It's not that only being able to play one position or only wanting to do so is a bad thing, a ton of players have been that way

The problem here is Loki's situation - he's a kid trying to stick in the NHL on a team that could live without him being in the lineup and that needs depth on the wing rather than at C and the first thing he says is that he wants to play C because it is a huge problem for him playing elsewhere - well our problems right now are not at center and as I mentioned earlier, that makes it difficult on himself here
Yes, but three of our "centers" are able to move back to/play at wing. IF he shows he can play with the big guns, he`ll stick. Whether he does it in practice or on the 4th/2nd line, it doesn`t matter. Coaches sure have a plan. If he doesn`t show he`s worth a legit shot, he can go back home. It`s really simple. But judging by some of the comments in this thread, seems like he failed even before he got the actual chance. I just can`t wrap my head around what I`m reading.

I also doubt that Lou was unaware of his situation when he traded for him. We just lost a winger to an injury and called up a pure center who played only two games for our AHL team. That`s not a coincidence.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

The problem here is Loki's situation - he's a kid trying to stick in the NHL on a team that could live without him being in the lineup and that needs depth on the wing rather than at C and the first thing he says is that he wants to play C because it is a huge problem for him playing elsewhere - well our problems right now are not at center and as I mentioned earlier, that makes it difficult on himself here thus those comments were not the smartest thing for him to say

No problem, I totally understand our needs.

But when Sushi states multiple times in LA that he needs to play center to be effective, and that he wants a trade to have a chance to play this very precise position, I think Lou should be aware of the kind of player he was trading for: Basically a center.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
you people are ridiculous. (what do you mean "you people") nobody would complain if a defender said he didn't want to play wing, or if kovalchuk said he couldn't play center. and hell nobody would complain if zajac or henrique said he didn't want to play wing, but because a player that hasn't made the team yet says it it's all of a sudden terrible? get a grip. most players in the nhl are severely less effective when they don't play in their position. hell there are arguments daily here about moving kovalchuk back to lw because blah blah blah. why can't the same be true for loktionov? we've been spoiled by players like elias, josefson, carter, zubrus, harrold etc that can move around with no problem. the truth is most players aren't like that.

The fact he is ill-suited for wing - no problem.
The fact he is talking about himself playing for the team only at center - problem.

It's not the message, it's how you deliver the message. Me first attitude is what he is coming off like with these statements when the only way that works is if someone else (a more established player) moves out of their position. But like someone mentioned, it could be a translation thing and not what he was intending. If I were trying to make a good impression, I would not be saying I only play center, I would be saying I am here to help in whatever manner I can and look forward to the new opportunity [to actually play at the NHL level] and then voice my position concerns to the coach in private.

Let's hope it's all a big language hiccup and he dazzles us with playmaking and manages to win a faceoff or two along the way.

MountainGoat

all of this over a 5th round pick and the kid hasn't even played yet

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Faceoffs have to be one of the most overrated statistics in hockey. If someone's winning like 30% of draws then maybe I have an issue, but if the other team having the puck sometimes is a problem, you're probably a bad hockey team.

If Elias can line up with Sykora and Zubrus and go 40% in the dot against tough competition and still be one of the best possession players on the team, then something tells me faceoffs aren't as important as Pierre Maguire likes to tell me.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006

But when Sushi states multiple times in LA that he needs to play center to be effective, and that he wants a trade to have a chance to play this very precise position, I think Lou should be aware of the kind of player he was trading for: Basically a center.

i think TG basically reiterated that in the comments of his most recent blog.......

"I don’t know if the Devils will try moving Loktionov to wing again, but I’m assuming they already knew his aversion to playing wing—and that he didn’t play well there—before they traded for him.

I found it out in 2 seconds of searching after the trade. They must have known that and watched him over the last couple of years".

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Yes, but three of our "centers" are able to move back to/play at wing. IF he shows he can play with the big guns, he`ll stick. Whether he does it in practice or on the 4th/2nd line, it doesn`t matter. Coaches sure have a plan. If he doesn`t show he`s worth a legit shot, he can go back home. It`s really simple. But judging by some of the comments in this thread, seems like he failed even before he got the actual chance. I just can`t wrap my head around what I`m reading.

Getzo, does the gun jumping surprise you lol

Here is more of Loki's problem, and despite our interchangable and versatile parts, at least for the near future;

Elias/Henrique/Clarkson isn't changing - Zajac/Kovy isn't either - CGBG likely isn't either

They've all played well together and despite Zajac's struggles, he's not getting moved down to the 4th line

That leaves Loki the fourth line playing with the likes of JJ, Barch, Butler, etc

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
The fact he is ill-suited for wing - no problem.
The fact he is talking about himself playing for the team only at center - problem.

It's not the message, it's how you deliver the message. Me first attitude is what he is coming off like with these statements when the only way that works is if someone else (a more established player) moves out of their position. But like someone mentioned, it could be a translation thing and not what he was intending. If I were trying to make a good impression, I would not be saying I only play center, I would be saying I am here to help in whatever manner I can and look forward to the new opportunity [to actually play at the NHL level] and then voice my position concerns to the coach in private.

Let's hope it's all a big language hiccup and he dazzles us with playmaking and manages to win a faceoff or two along the way.
Uhm, okay, if you say so.

Oh how many times I`ve said that in my life. But I`m a trained professional. He`s a professional athlete from Russia who barely speaks the language and always speaks what`s on his mind (which is typical for them). You have to take that into account.

Getzo, does the gun jumping surprise you lol

Here is more of Loki's problem, and despite our interchangable and versatile parts, at least for the near future;

Elias/Henrique/Clarkson isn't changing - Zajac/Kovy isn't either - CGBG likely isn't either

They've all played well together and despite Zajac's struggles, he's not getting moved down to the 4th line

That leaves Loki the fourth line playing with the likes of JJ, Barch, Butler, etc
Does that surprise me? Nope. Does it make me mad? Sure.

Fair enough. But as I said, Lou knew all this. I`ll trust the coaches to figure it out.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It's not that he can't play wing, it's that he shouldn't. Why wouldn't a coach try to maximize his assets? Josefson might be a better center, but him playing wing and adding another skilled center is better than leaving Yayo at C and having Loktionov be terrible at wing.

In the end, Sushi (I hope he sticks just for that nickname) is probably lucky he came to a team with so many interchangeable parts. It's easier for him to find a spot when there are so many versatile players on a team.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
ah, thanks.

quick bleedred, how did we fare against the senators during the 2008-2009 season?

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Maybe we're all overreacting over a quote. I'm totally confident Sushi's going to be fine.
I know who`s not...

It's not that he can't play wing, it's that he shouldn't. Why wouldn't a coach try to maximize his assets? Josefson might be a better center, but him playing wing and adding another skilled center is better than leaving Yayo at C and having Loktionov be terrible at wing.

In the end, Sushi (I hope he sticks just for that nickname) is probably lucky he came to a team with so many interchangeable parts. It's easier for him to find a spot when there are so many versatile players on a team.
We have them, we just refuse to use that to our advantage! He better becomes an interchangeable part too! If not, pack your stuff Loki, one way ticket to Siberia is waiting for you!

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
ah, thanks.

quick bleedred, how did we fare against the senators during the 2008-2009 season?

Not sure if serious, but I don't remember much. We won that shootout at the end of the season I remember that. It was in Ottawa. I remember Clemmer playing a couple games. One game he gave up a bunch of softies that the post saved. That was a home game, and I think we won. Gionta won a home game in OT.

According to wikipedia we went 4-0-0 against them for the sweep that year!

EDIT - It was 07/08 when Gio scored the OT winner against them. It was Rolston who scored the winner in the OT game against them in 08/09.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm in agreement with RG. When you're a relatively unproven youngster trying to make it on another team, one of your first comments should not be shooting down playing a position. Call me crazy and old fashioned, but you do as you're told!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad