Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
L to R
Tatar-Sharangovich-Hughes
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-Mercer-Kuokkanen
Wood-McLeod-Thompson/Clarke camp winner

extra Fs should be Boqvist and Jankowski, both of whom can fill in at either C or W. Send Johnsson to AHL on the unlikely, but remotely possible, chance that someone picks him up on waivers. I feel Holtz needs at least half a season (probably a full season, though) of North American hockey before coming up to the pros -- no need to rush the kid and risk his development.
Ok, so you want Boqvist, who’s waiver exempt, to cool his heels in the press box for no good reason other to fulfill your fantasy about waiving a player, for no good reason, other than you hate him.

Johnsson can be a spare forward and if Boqvist isn’t playing in NHL, he should be be playing the AHL.

Come on now.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Give Mercer a training camp to earn 9 games, then 9 games to earn a full season. Even if it becomes clear he can't cut it at 3C as a rookie as the season goes on he can find a role on the wing. Devils have one more year I think before they have to really think about disaster avoidance in terms of roster construction.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
These guys know what it takes. Look at a guy like Ty Smith, he had a good game and we all thought he should be on the roster and he went back. He came into last year and got his spot. I know it was a different situation with Juniors but still should be mentioned.

The Devils will allow Mercer to make the team IF he earns it in camp. They have enough guys to send him to the AHL and keep moving, he is not gifted a spot or anything. If he out plays Boqvist or whoever else he is battling for a spot then you dont just send him down because he is young. Its not "rushing" and player if they earn it. Its "rushing" a player that is not ready. Zacha is an example of "rushing" a player. Bratt is an example of a player that was ready.

Let the kid play in camp and let the chips fall where they may. If the rookie tournament is any indications (its not) he could very well be on his way to NJ when they break camp at the 3C. But time will tell.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Tatar-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-Hughes-Sharangovich
Johnsson-Mercer-Zacha
Wood-McLeod-Zetterlund/Foote

If Mercer is already really good then this can work. The more likely outcome is that he isn't and won't be able to cover for Zacha and drive play for both Zacha and Johnsson. Just keep Zacha with Nico/Bratt. Then Tatar with Hughes/Sharangovich and Kuokkanen with Mercer/Johnsson. I do struggle with that 3rd line because I don't see who is putting the puck in the net but I also think it's a competent enough line to not concede much either. If Johnsson can have a bit of a bounceback and Tatar-Hughes click well then I like the idea of trying Johnsson there and reuniting the Kuokkanen/Sharangovich pair with Mercer. I like the balance of that

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ok, so you want Boqvist, who’s waiver exempt, to cool his heels in the press box for no good reason other to fulfill your fantasy about waiving a player, for no good reason, other than you hate him.

Johnsson can be a spare forward and if Boqvist isn’t playing in NHL, he should be be playing the AHL.

Come on now.

Yeah but he's the wOrSt PlAyEr In ThE lEaGuE

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is there a complete list of every player who is attending training camp opening Wednesday?

Is the training camp open to the public or at least portions of it?

Is it even Wednesday or do I have Jersey confused with someone else?

Last edited:

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Kuokkanen - Hughes - Sharangovich
Zacha - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Mercer - Johnsson
Wood - McLeod - Foote
Jankowski, Boqvist

Graves - Hamilton
Smith - Severson
Siegenthaler - Subban
Jaros

Blackwood
Bernier

Bingo:
F: Holtz, Gauthier, Clarke, Zetterlund, Studenic, Gambardella, Greer
D: Okhotiuk, Bahl, White, Walsh, Vukojevic
G: Wedgewood
Ehh could use a little fixing. Johnsson should be nowhere near that 3rd line. He shouldn't even be on the team. Kuokkanen might play okay with Hughes but ideally we should be more focused on finding his real future winger. This is the lineup I would start with on opening night.

Zacha-Nico-Bratt
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Tatar-Mcleod-Kuokkanen
Foote- Boqvist/Jankowski -Wood

The Nico line speaks for itself. Mercer should be able to fit into that RW spot. Worst case if he ain't ready then we'll promote Tatar up on that line & put Mercer on the 3rd. Something tells me he can handle it. That would leave us 2 disgusting top lines, a great 3rd line & the 4th line has Wood on it who naturally just scores goals.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Good news. Devils hockey to watch. Bad news Catherine Bogart and Chris Wescott on the pregame.

Realize that teenagers probably cost less than experienced professionals.

But was hoping that with the end of the pandemic the Devils might end the woke boy/girl broadcast team as well.

And Wescott comparing Dawson Mercer to Jesper Bratt - when almost nothing in their game is similar.

Talk about being an organization shill.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Good news. Devils hockey to watch. Bad news Catherine Bogart and Chris Wescott on the pregame.

Realize that teenagers probably cost less than experienced professionals.

But was hoping that with the end of the pandemic the Devils might end the woke boy/girl broadcast team as well.

And Wescott comparing Dawson Mercer to Jesper Bratt - when almost nothing in their game is similar.

Talk about being an organization shill.
It was obvious the comparison was based on how Bratt won a job in camp when he wasn't expected to and not on their styles of play but it seems like you're just looking for anything to whine about so probably don't care about that

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Will the preseason games be streamed for us out of market folks? I'm guess ESPN+ isn't picking up any preseason games.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It was obvious the comparison was based on how Bratt won a job in camp when he wasn't expected to and not on their styles of play but it seems like you're just looking for anything to whine about so probably don't care about that

No. What I was seeking was informative and entertaining programming to learn more about the team.

In what was once one of the sports media capitals, it is unfathomable how an organization that basically launched the careers of two of the hockey broadcast icons in Mike Emrick and Gary Thorne now features such a talentless assembly of broadcasters.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Yeah I think the comparison is bad but the other guys reasoning for it doesn’t make sense. It’s a bad comparison because Mercer is a 1st rounder and people have been saying for a while it wouldn’t be completely unreasonable for him to get a job. Bratt on the other was a 6th rounder and came out of nowhere. Pretty sure he’s the only player drafted that late in their true DY to make the league that early. He’s a complete anomaly.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
L to R
Tatar-Sharangovich-Hughes
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-Mercer-Kuokkanen
Wood-McLeod-Thompson/Clarke camp winner.
I wonder if that Foote-Mercer-Holtz line is kept together during camp and exhibition games and they open the season together.

Tatar-Hughes-Sharangovich
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-Mercer-Holtz
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkanen

Lindy runs 4 lines so even the McLeod line gets a minimum of 12 minutes per game.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No. What I was seeking was informative and entertaining programming to learn more about the team.

In what was once one of the sports media capitals, it is unfathomable how an organization that basically launched the careers of two of the hockey broadcast icons in Mike Emrick and Gary Thorne now features such a talentless assembly of broadcasters.

You do realize this was a prospect scrimmage, right? You also realize that even as recent as a few years ago, we were lucky if more than one preseason game was broadcast let alone prospect scrimmages? You also realize that the NJD.TV stream is literally free for all fans? They also could have just put a silent stream up. You really think they’re getting the whole MSG crew assembled just to broadcast a scrimmage?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The Devils launched neither guy's career, and those were the lead broadcasters for the channel that covers the Devils, these are people who work for the team in this capacity.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
To add to the broadcast discussion, this may be a hot take, but Bogart and Wescott are totally fine. I don’t think they’re polished pros yet but I don’t think that’s what we should expect from their position.

The show is enthusiastic, brings some tidbits, get us highlights, and provide the post game pressers in full. Knowing that the show is out on by the team, I think everyone is doing what they need to do at a good level of competence.

If people watch, I imagine you’ll see the show get better and better over time as they get more experience running it and get more resources to support it. You just need to keep in mind it’s team propaganda so don’t look for anything hard hitting there.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I wonder if that Foote-Mercer-Holtz line is kept together during camp and exhibition games and they open the season together.

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-Mercer-Holtz
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkanen

Lindy runs 4 lines so even the McLeod line gets a minimum of 12 minutes per game.
That idea of the third line has crossed my mind too. If they play to potential, it has a similar makeup to the second line and we would create some matchup fits. I just don’t know if they would bury Johnsson as the 13th forward, but that would be a welcome problem to have.

Reactions: nugg

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-Mercer-Holtz
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkanen

That's an intriguing idea that would be interesting to see. Given the present veterans on the team, I might wish to see Mercer playing with Zacha and Hischier to start the year.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I'd rather see how they play with other veterans, considering that will be a more realistic line if any of the 3 make the team.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Let the three young forwards start in Utica, unless any absolutely blow you away during camp/preseason. No reason to rush them whatsoever. Then if they force their way up to the big club at any point over the season, someone goes on waivers. I'd start with something like:

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkanen
Jankowski-Boqvist-Johnsson
(Zetterlund, Vesey)

Graves-Hamilton
Smith-Severson
Siegenthaler-Subban
(Jaros)

Blackwood
Bernier

Status