Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To be fair, he said "the last thing" we should do, which implies all other options are off the table.

You start with the big ask so you can negotiate from a position of strength. Deals baby

Or does he mean that you do that last in the order of whatever else you are doing regardless of what else might be going on?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Honestly, I’m puzzled by this train of thought. Our AHL team might not be the best but some are acting as if we have a solid team at the NHL level.

The NHL is not a league to groom and learn on the fly, that’s what the AHL is for, especially for a kid like Mercer who never played in the pros. Two games against Buffalo and Boston’s prospects is not a reason to rush things with our better prospects.

The last thing we should do is hand jobs to our prospects instead of making them earn it.

The AHL is not for this, the AHL is a league to develop 3rd and 4th liners and 2nd and 3rd pairing D. Which isn't to say anything about Mercer if he does start out in the AHL (or if he doesn't), but it needs to be recognized that plenty of young players learn on the fly in the NHL, if their game is sufficiently good to play in the NHL in the first place. The reason to send players to the AHL is if they are overmatched at the NHL level and may develop bad habits as a result.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The AHL is not for this, the AHL is a league to develop 3rd and 4th liners and 2nd and 3rd pairing D. Which isn't to say anything about Mercer if he does start out in the AHL (or if he doesn't), but it needs to be recognized that plenty of young players learn on the fly in the NHL, if their game is sufficiently good to play in the NHL in the first place. The reason to send players to the AHL is if they are overmatched at the NHL level and may develop bad habits as a result.

If he's improperly passed over by the NHL team his play will show that in the AHL and he'll be back quickly. The team may want to see how Boquist and/or McLeod or Tatar look in their roles before they move on to Mercer. We will have to be somewhat patient. I'd like him to be good enough to play with Hughes right out of the gate but I'm not sure if that's realistic.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Reactions: GameSeven

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If he's improperly passed over by the NHL team his play will show that in the AHL and he'll be back quickly. The team may want to see how Boquist and/or McLeod or Tatar look in their roles before they move on to Mercer. We will have to be somewhat patient. I'd like him to be good enough to play with Hughes right out of the gate but I'm not sure if that's realistic.

If he can handle the NHL I don’t think him fitting alongside Tatar-Jack is that far fetched. They’re 2 of the most dominant possession players in the league. His tenacious style could be somewhat similar to a Gallagher who Tatar had a ton of success with. That would also give Boqvist more help at center as he’d likely be with Kuokkanen/Johnsson and Sharangovich. Personally I have more faith in Mercer than Boqvist and would rather have Mercer just be a center out the gate and down the line.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
He does talk a lot. I'm not against it and find it amusing, but I'll feel better once he's signed for a very long time.

I brushed it off at the time, but Luke is going to go a long way in making that go smoother I hope.

Reactions: OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
He does talk a lot. I'm not against it and find it amusing, but I'll feel better once he's signed for a very long time.

I brushed it off at the time, but Luke is going to go a long way in making that go smoother I hope.
i think with how close the brothers are, they'll definitely all play together at some point. he's def got a mouth though - entertaining in a sense, but kind of dangerous

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
i think with how close the brothers are, they'll definitely all play together at some point. he's def got a mouth though - entertaining in a sense, but kind of dangerous
Doubtful if they are all good. What team is going to be able to acquire three brothers with 9% of cap contracts because they want to play together?

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m all for Jack speaking his mind.

You can also look at it as someone that knows he is up for a new contract next year and how he knows that he quite possibly will be playing for a “bad team” and will still expect to get paid.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Last edited:

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Doubtful if they are all good. What team is going to be able to acquire three brothers with 9% of cap contracts because they want to play together?

I like Quinn a lot, but from what I've watched I'd be uncomfortable with him at 8-9million+

Admittedly I haven't seen a ton of full games, but he definitely isn't good defensively and after watching all of his points over the past few years I came away more impressed with what Boeser, EP and Horvat were doing in those clips.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
or maybe the three brothers take a discount to play together… that would be the hope

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I love how badly Jack set off Canucks fans speaking truth. Like how do you argue the Canucks weren’t horrible last year lol?
They are weird fanbase, part delusional, part clear-eyed & enraged at Benning fanbase. It’s split in half. There is part that fanbase, that thinks there a playoff team, which is off-putting. They probably qualify as a bubble team because the Pacific is so bad.

The team did implode last season and should improve in certain ways. They were very worse than us, just Demko was stud and division was weaker. Halak is step up from Holtby, but he’s declining.

A healthy Petersson would be a big plus, and their top six looks fun, and Demko is really good, but that’s where good news ends. Quinn has flaws but they had a solid partner for him, Chris Tanev, and Benning let him walk for no good reason. Their RD is brutal, it’s got to be the worst in the league (or close) .

Hughes - Hamonic as first pair isn’t just Hughes to elite, it’s asking him to miracle worker. He’s supposed to carry a top pair?

And the Ekman-Larsson has to play on the second pair with either Tyler Myers or Tucker Poolman. OEL must be thinking “I thought I was supposed to be on a bad team before this?”.

And then it’s a fight for the 3rd LD spot: Jack Rathbone vs Brad Hunt vs. Olli Juolevi.

Their defense is just… yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad