Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The more center depth the better.

I am not confident in any center in the organization to play on the top 3 lines aside from Hughes and Hischier.
McLeod is best suited for a 4th line role.
Zacha is a LEFT WINGER.
Boqvist is a ?
Mercer could surprise and snag that 3C spot but what if he doesn't?

Jankowski and Gauthier should both be signed, because that depth could be needed god forbid one of Hischier or Hughes goes down for any extended period of time.

Reactions: SpitfireG

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The more center depth the better.

I am not confident in any center in the organization to play on the top 3 lines aside from Hughes and Hischier.
McLeod is best suited for a 4th line role.
Zacha is a LEFT WINGER.
Boqvist is a ?
Mercer could surprise and snag that 3C spot but what if he doesn't?

Jankowski and Gauthier should both be signed, because that depth could be needed god forbid one of Hischier or Hughes goes down for any extended period of time.

I'd be much more confident in McLeod or Boqvist getting a shot to play up the lineup in your scenario than Gauthier or Jankowski. Just because they are bodies that can play center doesn't mean they are any good. We already know that Jankowski and Gauthier are not good.

I guess we'll see how they look this preseason.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Jankowski and Gauthier are good insurance policies for depth centers. You’d much rather see both of them spending time in the press box than Boqvist or Mercer or something. Plus they’ll be a good litmus test for anyone trying to snag those spots in camp. If you’re getting outplayed by Gauthier, you know you’ve got some work to do.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I'd be much more confident in McLeod or Boqvist getting a shot to play up the lineup in your scenario than Gauthier or Jankowski. Just because they are bodies that can play center doesn't mean they are any good. We already know that Jankowski and Gauthier are not good.

I agree on that but if McLeod or Boqvist slides up to 3C or 2C, then who are the centers playing below them? That's where the importance of Jankowski and Gauthier come in.

I also think there is a somewhat decent chance Mercer blows everyone away in camp and earns his spot as the 3C. (Like Bratt in 2017 training camp and Sharangovich in last years training camp)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

If he gets it together, Boquist is skilled enough to play as a substitute top six center as an injury fill in at least even if he's not really a long term fit in that role.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I want to give Boqvist a look but I'm really not sure he'll be good enough to stick. I wouldn't be surprised if Jankowski proves to be the better option. He is a really good PK and defensive forward who is a good shooter. If Mercer ends up making the team then I could see something like Kuokkanen-Jankowski-Mercer being a pretty decent line. Mercer could step into one of those top 2 C's if there's an injury or you give Yegor or Kuokkanen looks in the middle

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm going to a bar for the game.
Also you’re allowed to want to watch a football game in the normal way and not try to follow something else on a computer at the same time.

It’s not like that sounds particularly enjoyable, as opposed to watching the prospects game later, which is what you were asking people if whether it was possible or not.

Amusingly, I was half expecting someone to say “why not DVR the Football game?” to you, because I’ve seen that before.

Which 1) wouldn’t answer your question about if you could watch the prospect game later, which is info you want, you are presumably familiar with DVR technology 2) I assumed they was a reason you were watching the football game live (family, preference, I don’t need to look know)

After typing this out I suddenly remembered that in the past people have talked about the team putting these games on Facebook after they streamed. Or am I misremembering and/or hallucinating that? I avoid Facebook.

Reactions: Lou is God

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m so pumped for the game tonight. I hope the Foote Mercer Holtz line goes nuclear and destroys the Sabres rookie team. Stillman will also be interesting to watch to see how he fits in .
Is Stillman going back to Jr’s this year for sure or is there a possibility he plays for the Comets?
Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what jersey numbers they will be wearing ?
I guess maybe I’ll try watching without sound for awhile and just see what players stand out to me and find or after who they are …
Only thing is I think;k I can recognize how Holtz and Mercer looks , same with Bahl but some others I won’t recognize unless I see their name on back of their jersey.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I’m so pumped for the game tonight. I hope the Foote Mercer Holtz line goes nuclear and destroys the Sabres rookie team. Stillman will also be interesting to watch to see how he fits in .
Is Stillman going back to Jr’s this year for sure or is there a possibility he plays for the Comets?
Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what jersey numbers they will be wearing ?
I guess maybe I’ll try watching without sound for awhile and just see what players stand out to me and find or after who they are …
Only thing is I think;k I can recognize how Holtz and Mercer looks , same with Bahl but some others I won’t recognize unless I see their name on back of their jersey.
cut.jpeg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Excited about the idea of the Foote-Mercer-Holtz line going pointless and being like a -3 and people losing their minds over that

Those kids are probably feeling a fair amount of pressure as first round picks playing tougher right out of the gate. Hopefully they can find some chemistry. If not it can be a long night in a rookie game.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Excited about the idea of the Foote-Mercer-Holtz line going pointless and being like a -3 and people losing their minds over that
Combination of high expectations , dying for any sort of hockey being played and high hopes for the Devils looking like they are coming out of a long rebuild with these kids the key to competing and yes people will be quick to judge.
I thnkmimmone of those A holes where I want the team to do good that I will get judgmental way too soon and not have patience and want the kids to be dominant right away. It’s not fair to them but it’s massive that one or more of Mercer Holtz Foote becomes a top 6 forward

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

sounds like they already think someone (probably McLeod) is the 3C.....

So the black and white logo pants at practice....jack had it on his kit at media day now dan rocking it on his shirt.

Doubt it means anything for the 3rd jersey anymore but kinda weird...unless i'm miss remembering and we always had it on the pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad