Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Like Jim said, at same point we have to stop looking at next year and see something this year, some type of improvement.

how could anyone watch this team and not see improvement from last year? i understand the points aren't coming yet, but there have been some pretty bright spots. hughes is night and day compared to last year, nico looked great before his face got broken, zacha is becoming more consistent, maltsev looks great. murray and kulikov has been decent, subban is putting up points. shara looks good, blackwood showing flashes of talent.

and as usual, if you want to look at the causality for the slow turnaround, you can look at shero's predecessor for selling futures for mediocre short term "success" and not giving the organization the foundation it needed to grow and succeed in 2021. selling top 10 picks for cory schneider and all that shit, what a clown show

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Agreed, but all players go through stretches like this and I'd wish they'd stop pairing him with Johnsson, the guy just plain sucks and doesn't deserves to be playing a top-six role, I don't even think he's been an healthy scratch.
The problem is it’s a very long stretch that is similar to his entire last season. He put up 7 points in the first 5 games. Since then he has played 21 games and only put up another 7 points. So in the last 21 games he has produced at basically the exact same rate as last season. Agree that Johnsson isn’t a top 6 forward but the only top 6 guy we do have isn’t doing so great either and wasn’t much better with Hughes.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Yes he’s only 19 but these are worrisome trends.

counterpoint: they’re not.

he put on a ton of weight, looked great and confident and then he got covid and was stagnant for over 2 weeks, came back with no practice time and 4 games a week with crap line mates.

he’s still one of the youngest players in the league playing in extremely difficult circumstances and is the primary focus of every single teams game plan against us. things would look different in other circumstances (like if our real number 1 center was playing, they could practice, he had days off, etc) and he’d have a lot more points if he had better line mates.

expect that he will hit rough patches but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. personally i’m not too worried about the last few weeks

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The problem is it’s a very long stretch that is similar to his entire last season. He put up 7 points in the first 5 games. Since then he has played 21 games and only put up another 7 points. So in the last 21 games he has produced at basically the exact same rate as last season. Agree that Johnsson isn’t a top 6 forward but the only top 6 guy we do have isn’t doing so great either and wasn’t much better with Hughes.
I don't consider 20 games that long of a stretch especially when he was creating scoring chances during that stretch of games, its just recently that the creating scoring chances have dipped, plus again, this needs repeating, they're playing every other day and twice on weekends, that takes a toll on all players, young and old.

We got so many vets who are not carrying their weight but some of us want to hold the kids more accountable, it just defies logic. All things considered we really need more patience.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don't consider 20 games that long of a stretch especially when he was creating scoring chances during that stretch of games, its just recently that the creating scoring chances have dipped, plus again, this needs repeating, they're playing every other day and twice on weekends, that takes a toll on all players, young and old.

We got so many vets who are not carrying their weight but some of us want to hold the kids more accountable, it just defies logic. All things considered we really need more patience.
Because who gives a shit about the vets...they will be gone soon enough so I could care less if they suck.

When our coveted hyped #1 is not bringing the sauce two seasons in a row...I’m gonna be a lot more concerned about that than a 35 year old Travis f***ing Zajac being unable to score.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Because who gives a shit about the vets...they will be gone soon enough so I could care less if they suck.

When our coveted hyped #1 is not bringing the sauce two seasons in a row...I’m gonna be a lot more concerned about that than Travis f***ing Zajac being unable to score.
What a ridiculous take man, if you don't think the vets playing crap doesn't effect the kids, you're on another planet.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
What specifically has progressed in his game?

Things looked promising in the first dozen games or so. Then he went back to trying to puck handle unsuccessfully through 3 defenders at the blue line, sucking along the boards, not getting quality sog, not managing the puck properly, and getting knocked down if an opposing player even so much as breathes on him. And of course, his point production is back to where it was last year despite having a larger role.

So...what areas of his game have progressed?
upload_2021-3-18_11-10-48.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The level of expectation around here is worrisome. If we’re happy with the mediocre production we’re getting from our franchise altering center (yes I know he’s 19 and has crap wingers) the mediocrity of the state of our team has become a normality and that’s even sadder then our spot in the standings.

What's the point of getting worked up about the team? We don't make any decisions about the roster or anything else beyond whether we consume the product. That's our only choice as fans for all intents and purposes. Yes, you can call their office or say nasty things on twitter and complain but unless you are a season ticket holder I can't imagine they care. So, if you are unhappy with the team you can avoid consuming the product. Beyond that, I think you just have to make the best of it. That doesn't mean you like the losing or think it's necessarily going to lead to a better team next year but you can't control it and it's unhealthy to fret about things you can't control. If you don't like the team losing or its direction then stop consuming the product and you've done all you can.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Completely agree with your first sentence. As much as I love Nico, I’d move him to get a legit winger for Hughes. I’ve said this several times now but you can’t have your #1 overall pick, who’s the best offensive forward on your team, play alongside dumpster fire wingers and that’s exactly what management has given him for his first 2 years in the show.

We jumped the gun on giving Nico the captaincy. He was out for months, we were in a really bad spot standing wise and now, we’ve labeled a NTC by making him our captain. With that said, we will never accomplish anything with two centers that have no support whatsoever. We don’t have a Sid/Gino combo or McJesus/Draisaitl in Nico/Jack... we just don’t.

Would I move Nico for an elite sniper that has a chance to win the Rocket Richard trophy when playing alongside Hughes, ABSOLUTELY! We need balance up and down our lineup cause this roster is very poorly built. We have a cast of pass first forwards and our blue line is loaded with "offensive minded" dmen that lack any type of physicality. We have to be the softest team to play against, not just in our division but the entire league. A can just imagine the opposing team looking at our top offensive line and saying "Nice, we’re playing against the Johnsson-Hughes-Bratt line tonight!" That has to be the smallest and softest top line in hockey.

These takes are insane. I can't believe that people think like this....especially given

A) we complained for years and years that we don't have center depth. Now we finally have some and you just want to throw it away?
B) we complain that no talented players want to sign here longterm....and you FINALLY get one to, and give him the C, and you're already wanting to ship him out

My god.

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Guys like Kuokkanen, Sharangovich, and Maltsev have looked good but they also were healthy scratches for a bit so they got some time off during this schedule. Hughes, Zacha, Smith, Severson etc. are usually on the high end of TOI and haven't missed a game. It's hard to imagine there wouldn't be a drop off in some of their play with how the schedule is (they've been playing 4 games in 6 days for a month now and still face another month of it).

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
These takes are insane. I can't believe that people think like this....especially given

A) we complained for years and years that we don't have center depth
B) we complain that no talented players want to sign here longterm....and you FINALLY get one too, and give him the C, and you're already wanting to ship him out

My god.

That’s the difference between being a fan of a team and having an attachment towards one, two or three players. I was down to trade Parise for some defensive help when our blue line was hotter garbage then the one we have today because it made our team better.

Bottom line, if we make our team better, I couldn’t care less who we move because at the end of the day, we’d be a better team.

Isn’t that the main objective, to be a better team and fight for the Cup? I want to be relevant, not cheer for a guy who just signed a 7 year deal and pick in the top #10 for the next half a decade.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That’s the difference between being a fan of a team and having an attachment towards one, two or three players. I was down to trade Parise for some defensive help when our blue line was hotter garbage then the one we have today because it made our team better.

Bottom line, if we make our team better, I couldn’t care less who we move because at the end of the day, we’d be a better team.

Isn’t that the main objective, to be a better team and fight for the Cup? I want to be relevant, not cheer for a guy who just signed a 7 year deal and pick in the top #10 for the next half a decade.

There is no tangible or obvious evidence that trading our 22 year old 50-60 point all around center for a random winger makes them a better team. None.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Are you not watching the games? That’s the only possible explanation for why you would say something so absurd.

So an over the hill veteran is getting two rookies to play over their head and are producing offensively... yet we’re still losing.

Why not give our best forward that help to possible create more offense? I know, it’s a crazy idea right lol... who wants more offense when we’re scoring at a goal per game clip?!?!?

Bratt and Johnsson isn’t working with Hughes, so keeping them together in favour of not disturbing our 3rd line makes sense in what world?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think most folks agree with the objective but how to get there is the issue. Even if you trade Nico for Laine I don't see that changing the team's fortunes all that much. Maybe you do and that's fair. Until we know what Covid did or didn't do to the players we are all just guessing. Maybe they feel great and are playing poorly but maybe some are still fatigued and can't play well because they have reduced lung or cardiac capacity. This season is essentially over. Hopefully they finish without further injuries and whatever malaise they are feeling they can overcome. My hope is that they can find some more Murray and Kulikov options in the offseason and hopefully at least one is a complementary winger for Jack.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
There is no tangible or obvious evidence that trading our 22 year old 50-60 point all around center for a random winger makes them a better team. None.

The thing is that you think we’re giving away the next Patrice Bergeron for a futur Michael Ryder. If you would stop fluffing Nico and downplaying whoever else we’d be possibly acquiring, we can then have a reasonable conversation.

If Nico is the beast you think he is, why couldn’t we get a player of equal talent?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The thing is that you think we’re giving away the next Patrice Bergeron for a futur Michael Ryder. If you would stop fluffing Nico and downplaying whoever else we’d be possibly acquiring, we can then have a reasonable conversation.

If Nico is the beast you think he is, why couldn’t we get a player of equal talent?

but WHY would you ever do that?! Centers are MUCH more important in hockey than wingers are.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad