Devils 2021-22 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yeah I think I was the one calling ZBC out on his constant obsession with Bastian when he was playing just fine. That was a weird tangent he had against a 4th liner when there was a million more important issues.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Bastian is a fine 4th liner but you don't give up picks to protect 4th liners. That was my opinion at the time and I haven't changed off it. It would be great if we can keep him, but if we can't keep him then we'll get another guy.

And we did get another 4th line guy in Jimmy Vesey, who is unquestionably better than him, for free off a PTO. Which kind of proves the point.

On NJ he has a pretty clearly defined role, whereas in Seattle he was JAG on a team filled with JAG's and they really didn't have anything for him to do. It gives him a use here, and he's certainly better than the Geertsens and Greers of the world, but again there were people genuinely wanting to protect him over Bratt and Siegenthaler.

He's getting an opportunity on the PP, and give him credit for making the most of it, but we all know those are Wood's minutes in front of the net on the PP. We have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find PP units because of injuries and COVID. He's been fine there for the time being but absolutely should not be featured on either unit when we get healthy.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Bastian is a fine 4th liner but you don't give up picks to protect 4th liners. That was my opinion at the time and I haven't changed off it. It would be great if we can keep him, but if we can't keep him then we'll get another guy.

And we did get another 4th line guy in Jimmy Vesey, who is unquestionably better than him, for free off a PTO. Which kind of proves the point.

On NJ he has a pretty clearly defined role, whereas in Seattle he was JAG on a team filled with JAG's and they really didn't have anything for him to do. It gives him a use here, and he's certainly better than the Geertsens and Greers of the world, but again there were people genuinely wanting to protect him over Bratt and Siegenthaler.

He's getting an opportunity on the PP, and give him credit for making the most of it, but we all know those are Wood's minutes in front of the net on the PP. We have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find PP units because of injuries and COVID. He's been fine there for the time being but absolutely should not be featured on either unit when we get healthy.

at some point contracts bleed over into these discussions and when you compare Bastian to Wood it’s also fair to consider that Wood is overpaid for his role and is also nearing the end of team control RFA years and he will be coming off a hip surgery. Hopefully he is still effective when he returns. Bastian is probably a better long term fit as a RW4 because of the salaries. If Wood had ever rounded out his defense and learned to PK he would be an ideal LW3 and would be paid properly. I’d like to be able to keep all of these players on the team long term and let them sort out their roles in the lineup but it’s never that simple. Bastian plays a role that may be unheralded but he plays it well and at an appropriate price.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
at some point contracts bleed over into these discussions and when you compare Bastian to Wood it’s also fair to consider that Wood is overpaid for his role and is also nearing the end of team control RFA years and he will be coming off a hip surgery. Hopefully he is still effective when he returns. Bastian is probably a better long term fit as a RW4 because of the salaries. If Wood had ever rounded out his defense and learned to PK he would be an ideal LW3 and would be paid properly. I’d like to be able to keep all of these players on the team long term and let them sort out their roles in the lineup but it’s never that simple. Bastian plays a role that may be unheralded but he plays it well and at an appropriate price.
Sure, if I could only keep one I'd keep Bastian for the reasons you outlined. I'm just commenting on his usage. People are praising him for his PP play when he's in that role out of necessity, not because he's earned it.

He's cheap and does everything that's asked of him reasonably well, that's a useful player. But useful and good are two different things. Even at his worse Johnsson was having a bigger impact on the game than Bastian. So many people got attached to a role player because he has a lot of attributes they like and not necessarily because of his on-ice impact.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Nope. And Bastian have more visible future opportunity to have NHL career, NJD career. Vesey is close to left NHL. I don`t think Bastian is much better(like you unquestionably incorrect think about those two), but role is role.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sure, if I could only keep one I'd keep Bastian for the reasons you outlined. I'm just commenting on his usage. People are praising him for his PP play when he's in that role out of necessity, not because he's earned it.

He's cheap and does everything that's asked of him reasonably well, that's a useful player. But useful and good are two different things. Even at his worse Johnsson was having a bigger impact on the game than Bastian. So many people got attached to a role player because he has a lot of attributes they like and not necessarily because of his on-ice impact.

I see Bastian as good in his role (which may be akin to what you are saying but semantics can be tricky) and unlike guys like Studenic and Boquist he's not "more of the same". NJ could really use a player like Bastian but also skilled enough to play a top six role, but it doesn't look like Foote is that sort of player. Holtz isn't either even if one or both of them may have the ability to score goals. I don't think it's that controversial to say that Bastian is "harder to play against" than most players on the roster even if he is limited in skill. He's not terrible though. He is a legit NHL player and most of the time his line can play competently against the other team's second line and lower. That's not a bad fourth line and would be even better if Wood was back.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I see Bastian as good in his role (which may be akin to what you are saying but semantics can be tricky) and unlike guys like Studenic and Boquist he's not "more of the same". NJ could really use a player like Bastian but also skilled enough to play a top six role, but it doesn't look like Foote is that sort of player. Holtz isn't either even if one or both of them may have the ability to score goals. I don't think it's that controversial to say that Bastian is "harder to play against" than most players on the roster even if he is limited in skill. He's not terrible though. He is a legit NHL player and most of the time his line can play competently against the other team's second line and lower. That's not a bad fourth line and would be even better if Wood was back.

Bastian brings a completely different element to this team than other players do which is why he is important and why he is successful with our team.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Regarding Severson, I think it is extremely important to re-sign him. He is such an important player for the Devils.
Man, you have Taylor on your avatar, you are definitely wrong.
Bastian brings a completely different element to this team than other players do which is why he is important and why he is successful with our team.
Man, you have Nico on your avatar, you are definitely right.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
How can you possibly say this without knowing the extent of their injuries and how successful/unsuccessful their surgeries went.
A hip injury on a goalie is a bad sign. I'm assuming the worst about Wood but I'm not optimistic, and even if he's fully healthy he's not going to play at this level for long, since his game is physical and speed-focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad