Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
As if they heard you.

lol...interesting. i figured after the NBA announcement, the NHL would have to weigh in. but with cases exploding in a record setting way here in the US, they're going to have to tread very carefully. i need to watch some devils hockey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
lol...interesting. i figured after the NBA announcement, the NHL would have to weigh in. but with cases exploding in a record setting way here in the US, they're going to have to tread very carefully. i need to watch some devils hockey

If the cases keep increasing this much we may have all gotten it by January 1. More seriously, I am seeing some reporting that a vaccine or two may start becoming available at the end of the year. That would be fantastic.

Reactions: MartyOwns

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
If the cases keep increasing this much we may have all gotten it by January 1. More seriously, I am seeing some reporting that a vaccine or two may start becoming available at the end of the year. That would be fantastic.
A proven public vaccine wouldn't be available to the public at least till the middle of next year. Even then, high-risk individuals would be the priority. End of next year is more likely.

Camille the Eel

It's all just reporting right now and who knows. You may be right. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.
They also want one that’s more than 50% effective; plus how often to re-vaccinate is to be determined. They obviously don’t know how long the vaccinated immunity will last. It seems there’s data that the immunity you get even from having it may not be permanent. There was also talk yesterday in the press of a nasal spray developed that promises to block transmission via the nose. So things are developing but there are questions that won’t be answered in a month or two. My guess? This time next year we will be looking down the other slope of the hill. But there’s no rational basis for saying this. Clearly we are in for a shit show over the next couple months.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
They also want one that’s more than 50% effective; plus how often to re-vaccinate is to be determined. They obviously don’t know how long the vaccinated immunity will last. It seems there’s data that the immunity you get even from having it may not be permanent. There was also talk yesterday in the press of a nasal spray developed that promises to block transmission via the nose. So things are developing but there are questions that won’t be answered in a month or two. My guess? This time next year we will be looking down the other slope of the hill. But there’s no rational basis for saying this. Clearly we are in for a shit show over the next couple months.

If they could just develop some treatments to help the scary bad castes effectively they could at least start a responsible return to some sort of normal while a good vaccine finishes up. If they could get the vaccine to a flu style vaccine where you can still get it but it won’t be severe that’s a start. No reason the first vaccine has to be the final one.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Camille the Eel

If they could just develop some treatments to help the scary bad castes effectively they could at least start a responsible return to some sort of normal while a good vaccine finishes up. If they could get the vaccine to a flu style vaccine where you can still get it but it won’t be severe that’s a start. No reason the first vaccine has to be the final one.
I think you hit it actually, and that this is both the way it’s going and how it’s going to go. Improvement simultaneously on all of these axes. Until people reach the point where they begin behaving more normally.

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Wonder when Bratt, Blackwood, and whoever else get their deals done

Its not a rush per say, but Im not sure if its a good thing that none have gotten them yet.

If it is true that the teams outside the bubbles get an earlier training camp - that means theyd probably need to be signed before camp starts, which Id guess would be around early december

Reactions: glenwo2

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
PODCAST: Bobby Holik Shares Lesson's Learned of a Life in Hockey

Latest Devils podcast is with good ol' Herf, Bobby Holik. He gives some hilarious insight on his personality and how he was ultra serious about playing and inability to tolerate his teammates at times. :laugh:

Loved Bobby, truly one of a kind.

Just a great player and an interesting guy. Burke and Weinrich were a big part of our team, but we might not win those cups if not for Bobby. Huge face-off wins, grit and just a heavy player in all zones - and a pest like Claude with a big heavy shot and great hockey sense.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Just a great player and an interesting guy. Burke and Weinrich were a big part of our team, but we might not win those cups if not for Bobby. Huge face-off wins, grit and just a heavy player in all zones - and a pest like Claude with a big heavy shot and great hockey sense.

I don't doubt Conte thought he was picking Holik 2.0 in Zacha.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I don't doubt Conte thought he was picking Holik 2.0 in Zacha.

I thought Holik's best point in the podcast was that GMs today pick 'sheep' that are easier control, whereas Lou looked for characters and tried to channel Claude, Gomer, Stevens etc... to be great.
I think you're right about Zacha - but we haven't seen any personality yet.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think you hit it actually, and that this is both the way it’s going and how it’s going to go. Improvement simultaneously on all of these axes. Until people reach the point where they begin behaving more normally.

If what Pfizer is saying today about their vaccine is accurate we may be seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I thought Holik's best point in the podcast was that GMs today pick 'sheep' that are easier control, whereas Lou looked for characters and tried to channel Claude, Gomer, Stevens etc... to be great.
I think you're right about Zacha - but we haven't seen any personality yet.

Holik is right that there aren't as many characters around the NHL, but I don't think it has much to do with GMs passing them over - these kids learn from a younger and younger age how to act in the public eye, plus I imagine they spend more and more time playing hockey and training. Not always time to develop a personality.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Pfizer claims their vaccine is 90% effective. It’s curious why the Devil last few players haven’t signed. I think the Devils might be waiting as long as possible to see what happens with the teams up to or over the cap. Hopefully, they don’t trade Bratt..

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
This is how I would set us up for opening night

Bratt - Hischier - Gusev
Johnsson - Hughes - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Boqvist
Wood - Merkley - Bastian (I suspect he gets the AHL again and Mcleod takes C and Merkley W, even though I feel he has earned it
McLeod as the 13th

Murray - Severson
Butcher - Subban
Kulikov - Smith (Thinking they want Smith a Krug-type, on his off-side focused on transition/offense)

Blackwood/Crawford, theyll likely split or maybe 5-7 more for Blackwood

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad