Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I guess this will be a debate that goes on forever with people saying the same things over and over, but I'll say what I typically say.

What if there is no clear distinction between players?

This is a very hypothetical scenario that would include same rating of current abilities and perceiving the potential (and the likelihood to reach it) as exactly the same. To achieve it, you'd have to literally clone the player.

Of course, BPA will vary from scout to scout because different scouts will value different things but "how does the players' position correspond to current lineup" shouldn't be one. This is how you get Zacha instead of Provorov and Werenski etc.

Reactions: My3Sons

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Well we may think Rossi was the BPA but did Fitz and Castron have him as the BPA?

Nope.

Otherwise, they would've drafted him instead of Holtz.

I didn't respond to that to argue whether Rossi, Quinn, Perfetti, Askarov or Holtz were BPA at #7 (I personally think that Perfetti may end up the best of them, especially if he improves his skating). My point was that smart GMs can't make that decision who to draft based on the fact that they already have Hischier and Hughes. LA had Turcotte and Vilardi (not to mention Kopitar signed for some years) and they still went with Byfield.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
This is a very hypothetical scenario that would include same rating of current abilities and perceiving the potential (and the likelihood to reach it) as exactly the same. To achieve it, you'd have to literally clone the player.

Of course, BPA will vary from scout to scout because different scouts will value different things but "how does the players' position correspond to current lineup" shouldn't be one. This is how you get Zacha instead of Provorov and Werenski etc.
Agree. I would just say that it is fine for posters in a forum to say things like "Perfetti, Rossi and Holtz all have the same upside and I would be happy with any one of them". On the other hand , if I am a GM and my scouts say that to me I will be looking for new scouts after the draft is over. It is their job to separate players that seem similar.

Reactions: Oneiro and hidek91

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’m sure the Devils would have drafted Byfield if he was available at our pick. I can see the logic in not drafting another small center when we already have two has our top two. Holtz is supposedly a hard nose player with decent size. In addition, he’s a winger with a good shot, maybe the best or at least one of the best, which was a need. I don’t see where the problem is.

Reactions: Guadana

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I’m sure the Devils would have drafted Byfield if he was available at our pick. I can see the logic in not drafting another small center when we already have two has our top two. Holtz is supposedly a hard nose player with decent size. In addition, he’s a winger with a good shot, maybe the best or at least one of the best, which was a need. I don’t see where the problem is.
where does the misconception, that hischier is a small center, come from? he is 6'1. he might not have ideal size, yet, but he is only 21 and can grow his strength and grit with training. he might never be able to dominate the opposition with his pure physicals, but he should be able to hold his own against almost any opposition.

Reactions: My3Sons

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
where does the misconception, that hischier is a small center, come from? he is 6'1. he might not have ideal size, yet, but he is only 21 and can grow his strength and grit with training. he might never be able to dominate the opposition with his pure physicals, but he should be able to hold his own against almost any opposition.

Totes Agree, but I think the issue is with Hughes and (If drafted) Rossi. It’s more an argument as to why the Devils might of past on Rossi. I am super stoked about Hischier, even if he doesn’t reach his full potential, his personality fits the Devils perfectly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I know Cordell’s mentioned it a quite a few times but I’d love to see the Devils try to sign Granlund on a cheap deal for a year. Maybe Fitzgerald is still waiting for some dominos to fall from some cap strapped teams, but he would be a solid addition.

Can give us another reliable defensive forward and can play up and down the lineup in so many different roles. Also scored 60 points only 2-3 seasons ago so if you’re lucky maybe you can rejuvenate that type of player alongside Hischier or Hughes.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I know Cordell’s mentioned it a quite a few times but I’d love to see the Devils try to sign Granlund on a cheap deal for a year. Maybe Fitzgerald is still waiting for some dominos to fall from some cap strapped teams, but he would be a solid addition.

Can give us another reliable defensive forward and can play up and down the lineup in so many different roles. Also scored 60 points only 2-3 seasons ago so if you’re lucky maybe you can rejuvenate that type of player alongside Hischier or Hughes.

I believe Granlund and Hoffman are both waiting out the Tampa situation (and maybe you can add the Islanders to that) and hoping that after they play out and there are fewer options for teams to upgrade their rosters, they'll get better offers than they've gotten so far. I'd love to add Grandlund on a cheap deal for a year, but other teams would probably want to do that too.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I believe Granlund and Hoffman are both waiting out the Tampa situation (and maybe you can add the Islanders to that) and hoping that after they play out and there are fewer options for teams to upgrade their rosters, they'll get better offers than they've gotten so far. I'd love to add Grandlund on a cheap deal for a year, but other teams would probably want to do that too.

Ugh, this offseason sucks...Please “insert religious entity ” let the season start in January.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Id like Granlund but doesn't really fit with Fitz plan of sticking with players aged similar to the core. Id rather sign Duclair for one year. If he works out , then resign him.
That is if the Devils miss out on someone like Cernak or Sergachev or Dunn where we try to take advantage of other teams cap troubles to get a very good player that is young and under team control .

Question - If a team makes an offer sheet for a player, is the team allowed to contact / negotiate / a salary figure and term to present to the player ? Or is that tampering ? Its a blind offer and no chance to talk to the player at all before presenting the offer sheet?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Question - If a team makes an offer sheet for a player, is the team allowed to contact / negotiate / a salary figure and term to present to the player ? Or is that tampering ? Its a blind offer and no chance to talk to the player at all before presenting the offer sheet?

Restricted free agents are not under contract to their teams and it is not tampering to negotiate with them or their agents. Offer sheets are not blind offers, they are negotiated like any other contract.

That said, I'm guessing that most RFAs don't really talk to other teams unless they are strongly considering leaving, because they don't want to pointlessly damage their relationships with their clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad