Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The AHL team ran the same system as the NHL team. Once Hynes was fired the AHL team was told they could run any system they want. Under a different system the AHL team became dominant with a similar roster to the awful team from earlier in the season.

This is, hopefully, a big datapoint that Hynes’ system was really hurting team performance. Even the Devils basically still ran Hynes’ system, with small tweaks, after he left.

As you know the AHL is not the same level of hockey as the NHL regardless of the system. After Hynes left many changes were made that improves the results beyond a system change .

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
No way he would clear IMO, he's perfectly worth that contract. He's smart, can defend, can play on PP/PK. His lack of compete level is frustrating at times but he's still a decent #3C.

It's possible he would get claimed, but it would certainly be for the "potential" of a 23 year old former 6th overall, not because of his results so far. He's abysmal 5v5 and not good on the power play either. He's a good penalty killer, but that's not worth $2 million a year.

Reactions: deflowd

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha wouldn't clear. He is a decent 3C for a bubble team and honestly I think a borderline contender finds a spot for him as a regular on the 4th line.

He is absolutely a NHL player. Just not a particularly good one outside the PK but you can do a lot worse then him too.

Ideally though if we are going to contend he either needs to take some big strides or get slotted down to a 4th line role. I don't think anyone wins multiple playoff series with Zacha as their 3C.

He isn't really the 3C on this team right now. All of Nico, Hughes, and Zajac should start over him. Jack is your offensive threat and Nico is your jack of all trades 1C and Zajac is still the checking center.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think some of you have grasped what next season is. It's not like any other NHL season you have experienced or will ever experience again. And in that context, Pavel Zacha could very easily slip through waivers.

Reactions: EXTRAS and Patrik26

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I almost guarantee he’s picked up.
He has size and tools you are underestimating the value GMs will see in that. Always think they can put the puzzle pieces together for guys like this

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
There is absolutely ZERO chance Zacha would clear waivers. Have you people all gone mad? That's just complete and total nonsense. I get that a lot of y'all don't like him but he's still a very serviceable NHLer who would absolutely get claimed if put on waivers. I cannot believe this is even a topic of discussion.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I love all the James Bond movies but Sean Connery's Bond movies are what got me into the series in the first place. He passed away at the age of 90 and his clip from The Rock has been a staple at Devils games for a long time now. R.I.P.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The New Jersey Devils should have a Plan B if Jack Hughes doesn’t pan out

Jim after reading this
tenor.gif

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hughes is literally the first player ever to jump from the USNTDP to the NHL

Year 1 was always going to be rough, especially on a bad team

I get that its hard to continue to come up with articles since the team hasn't played in nearly 8 months and might not play for another 2-3 months, but man come on.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The problem that article has is that GAR is not predictive. It's predictive in a Bayesian sense, maybe - we should adjust our priors when we come across it - but a player's GAR is far from stable.

Jack's shooting concerns me but the rest, nah. He's 18 and already near elite at zone entries and passing. Worst case scenario absent injuries is a non-play driving Scott Gomez.

I also really don't like the presumption that the Devils passed on Rossi and Perfetti because they have enough centers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How can you have a plan B for a #1 overall not panning out? That's silly, especially after one almost full season. That's like all the retroactive stuff on how Lou should have somehow had a plan B for Kovalchuk walking to Russia and losing Parise after coming within two games of the Cup. It's just not feasible.

Unless the plan B is just referring to 'who plays on a top six line' this season, which isn't a huge concern for a rebuilding team anyway.

Reactions: Devils731

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
How can you have a plan B for a #1 overall not panning out? That's silly. That's like all the retroactive stuff on how Lou should have somehow had a plan B for Kovalchuk walking to Russia and losing Parise after coming within two games of the Cup. It's just not feasible.

Unless the plan B is just referring to 'who plays on a top six line' this season, which isn't a huge concern for a rebuilding team anyway.
Was Cordell big on Rossi, maybe he's still bummed. He did make the comment thinking Fitz is set with Nico and Jack and picking Holtz.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Why's it dumb though? I don't worry too much about Jack but there's nothing wrong with what was said in the article.

the article was basically:

- hughes sucked last year (obvi)
- that doesn't mean he will suck forever (obvi)
- the devils should have a plan b in case he does suck forever

so the only thing in the article worth reading (the devils should have a plan b, which was in the title) wasn't explored at all. sooo what's the point of the article? (i'm not asking you lol, i know you didnt write it). just seems clickbaity and pointless

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
What would a plan B even be in this context? Someone that can play in the top 6 if Hughes can't next year? I'd be fine adding someone like Erik Haula who can be a top 6 center in a pinch the next two years if Hughes has to move down the lineup or to wing for a spell.

But there's no plan B in case Hughes doesn't turn into a legit top 6 center over the next 6 years and I'm not sure there should be. If Hughes doesn't work out it's reload with (high) draft picks and onto the next prospect.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
If Hughes doesn't pan out then the Devils suck and get another top 5 draft pick where they can get a comparable center to Rossi.

I mean its the bare basics of logic. Player fails --> Team is bad --> get talent in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad