Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Detroit fans were asking for two first round picks for Mantha a few months ago, so yeah

not that they represent the organization, but yeah. I also would prefer not to deal with Yzerman.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Detroit fans were asking for two first round picks for Mantha a few months ago, so yeah

not that they represent the organization, but yeah. I also would prefer not to deal with Yzerman.

I wouldn't do that obviously, but something like Boqvuist a protected 1st and maybe a small + if we are in contention as I believe we will be.
Out of curiosity, why do you hold that opinion of Yzerman?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah but ideally you want a 3rd line center that is better defensively then he is and can score a bit more too.

Of course. It would be great to have a team full of great players. But it's not feasible. You need guys who can play roles, and Zacha can play an admirable bottom 6 role for cheap. Try to fill that in free agency and you are going to overpay.

This will be moot in a few years when Mercer is on the team anyway. I really believe that Mercer will surprise people.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeedsMonster

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Of course. It would be great to have a team full of great players. But it's not feasible. You need guys who can play roles, and Zacha can play an admiral bottom 6 role for cheap. Try to fill that in free agency and you are going to overpay.

This will be moot in a few years when Mercer is on the team anyway. I really believe that Mercer will surprise people.
Pretty excited about Mercer myself.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Of course. It would be great to have a team full of great players. But it's not feasible. You need guys who can play roles, and Zacha can play an admiral bottom 6 role for cheap. Try to fill that in free agency and you are going to overpay.

what position does he play….. 3rd line admiral …nice

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Hooray, more Zacha debates!.....

Here's the thing. A team needs a first line center, a second line center, but it also needs a third line center. Zacha is a big kid with some raw skills that, even if he doesn't tap into, makes him a very good option in that third line role. He's also young, on a cheap contract, and will continue to get cheap contracts. He's really a good fit for the bottom 6. I feel like most of the argument about wanting to get rid of him is that he never developed into a top 6 player. That's fine. You need bottom 6 players that can hack it in the league as well.
Well said !
Does it suck that Lou and Co. totally blew the pick on Zacha ? Yup.
If I remember correctly , Zajac got hurt before the draft ? Was going to be out for awhile and the Devils had zero C depth .
They took Zacha as the big body / perceived most NHL ready C .
Lou’s fault for always trying to patch the roster and picked based off of need vs. BAP.
Not Zacha’s fault he was taken when he was. Yes it’s frustrating that so many other good players could of been had at that pick but .... what the hell can you do now?
Zacha is a very good fit at 3c IMO. Skill , skill set , age , cap hit etc. are fine for what we need his role to be.
If he improves , awesome. If he doesn’t , it could be worse. We could be paying him too much and stuck with a horrible contract .

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He'll have more points next year than he had this year. His point totals have gone up every year.

It will take a miracle given the season they're about to play. But - since some people don't seem to have grasped that an 82 game season is impossible and the owners want to play as few games as possible - I don't think he'll have more points per game. I don't think he will start on PP1, and if he's not playing with Bratt and Gusev, he will have nowhere near the same quality linemates.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
I want to see Zacha under Ruff. It seems when motivated he steps his game up. Under Hynes he just knew he was always in the dog house, no reason to be motivated. I remember the 1st game we played against Hynes after we fired him Zacha put up 2 goals & 2 assists. He was motivated that game just to rub it in Hynes face. We also can't play him with scrubs. Whoever is centering that 3rd line wether it be Zacha or Hughes is gonna need a little help. Thats why I think we need to obtain 1 more forward whether it be free agency or a trade.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
I want to see Zacha under Ruff. It seems when motivated he steps his game up. Under Hynes he just knew he was always in the dog house, no reason to be motivated. I remember the 1st game we played against Hynes after we fired him Zacha put up 2 goals & 2 assists. He was motivated that game just to rub it in Hynes face. We also can't play him with scrubs. Whoever is centering that 3rd line wether it be Zacha or Hughes is gonna need a little help. Thats why I think we need to obtain 1 more forward whether it be free agency or a trade.

I hope Fitz bites the bullet and tries to sign Hoffman for 2 yrs at a slight overpay.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Hooray, more Zacha debates!.....

Here's the thing. A team needs a first line center, a second line center, but it also needs a third line center. Zacha is a big kid with some raw skills that, even if he doesn't tap into, makes him a very good option in that third line role. He's also young, on a cheap contract, and will continue to get cheap contracts. He's really a good fit for the bottom 6. I feel like most of the argument about wanting to get rid of him is that he never developed into a top 6 player. That's fine. You need bottom 6 players that can hack it in the league as well.
zacha?

just trade him for mcdavid already and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad