Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The ‘I want to see this guy under Ruff’ narrative is reaching comical meme level. Don’t mistake me for a Hynes fan but Ruff is not a miracle worker and there is a real talent issue on this team. I’d love to be proven wrong but I don’t see Pavel Zacha making me eat those words any time soon

Until Ruff gets to work with Lovejoy we don't really know what he's capable of.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Wow holy shit. This last page has been absolute nonsense.

For whoever needs to hear this (I personally thought it was pretty clear...) THE ONLY PERSON THAT CAN HELP PAVEL ZACHA IS PAVEL ZACHA.
He was in the doghouse because every time he played a good game he followed up with a shit effort. He is the laziest player I have ever watched on this team... additionally, the guy does not know how to get the puck deep off the glass. Legit throws it from the corner right into the high slot every time, which usually leads to a turnover or goal. Very problematic as a center.

he’s good for one insane highlight reel goal a year. If we found a way to move on from him it would be a no brainer. PLEASE stop the delusions with Zacha hype. He’s a 40 point player tops

He mostly just floats around and doesn’t contribute offensively or defensively. He is just there.

And he isn’t just going to magically add muscle because he’s older. You have to put the work in to add size and strength — work he hasn’t been willing to do in the past.

I agree with these points, some of it to an extent. Zacha's biggest issue that I've seen is that he doesn't proactively do anything or create his his opportunities - he puts himself in very safe areas where he's not out of position per say but he's also not doing anything to help. The most frustrating thing that I see from his when he just stands in the middle of slot doing literally nothing while his teammates are working the puck around trying to create something. He's not moving trying to get free, he's not giving his teammates an option, he's not anticipating where the play might go. He's just there.

With that being said, could coaching help him out there? It's not going to be some instant solution but I think have someone else behind the bench can certainly help. Not only with the X's and O's of say when this is happening on the ice we want you to be here (because frankly it looked like he didn't know where to be half of the time) but also maybe the coaching staff also recognizes this and can help coach him through his thinking. He may not have a 180 shift in how he thinks the game but I think he can definitely still be influenced and make some changes.

Man I'd love to talk to him for one day.. show him all the times he's doing nothing in the offensive zone and be like what the f*** are you doing here!? Do something. Anything. Move your feet!

Reactions: Guttersniped

Camille the Eel

Having Ruff at least takes the poor coaching out of the equation. We have a high level pro coach who at least will not drag the roster‘s performance down. It’s good to be able to say that at the start of a season.

As to Zacha, he may have some kind of “seen the light” breakthrough. But, more likely, he is pretty much what he’s going to be and the sample is large enough so that the parameters of what he will do are pretty much set.

Never watched him as a kid, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the limitations in determination, on ice aggression and physical use of his side weren’t always there for scouts who had eyes to see.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If we were going to see some marked improvement from Zacha post-Hynes wouldn't it have come in the second half last year? I do get Lindy is a better coach than Hynesriddine and gets more out of his forwards but Zacha's been around a while, if he doesn't take a big jump in the first half this year it ain't happening.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Zacha is what he is. He's a decent 3rd line NHLer with room for improvement. How much improvement remains to be seen. It's disappointing out of a #6 overall pick, most certainly, but at least he's a legit NHLer and not an outright bust.

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Having Ruff at least takes the poor coaching out of the equation. We have a high level pro coach who at least will not drag the roster‘s performance down. It’s good to be able to say that at the start of a season.

As to Zacha, he may have some kind of “seen the light” breakthrough. But, more likely, he is pretty much what he’s going to be and the sample is large enough so that the parameters of what he will do are pretty much set.

Never watched him as a kid, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the limitations in determination, on ice aggression and physical use of his side weren’t always there for scouts who had eyes to see.

I'm not sure. I think him suffering several concussions in the intervening years have something to do with how he plays now. The scouting report on him was that he was physical and he had gotten suspended in the OHL for an illegal hit, maybe even twice.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Haven’t heard anyone talk about Sharangovich but his recent play genuinely makes him a sleeper pick to make the roster in a bottom six role.

All the hip kids in the Prospects Info thread were into Yegor before it was cool.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think people are over thinking the "See player X under new coach," mentality. If I'm correct people saying "I wanna see," or "can't wait to see," or are even "interested to see" whatever player under a new coach, whether it be Ruff or someone else, typically just mean it under the make it or break it mentality.

I don't think anyone is saying Zacha will for sure flourish under Ruff, but someone like Zacha obviously has the ability to be a good hockey player. For some reason he forgets that ability at home sometimes. If a new coach comes in and Zacha or other players don't change a bit, we know it's 100% on the player and it's time to move on or give up hope. But there is always a chance certain players with just a few issues to iron out get a lot better when a coach can get to the core of those issues. Zacha seems like a prime candidate for that to happen if it's going to.

Hell, someone like Subban who has been through a lot of changes over the past few years, from role to ability. You never know, a Subban with a new outlook and a veteran coach who knows what aging vets go through might be able to tap into something.

I'm interested to see what a number of our players bring under a veteran coach. I'm not saying anything for sure besides it will answer a lot of questions, whether it's about some of the guys on the team, or coaches who we have moved on from.

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Haven’t heard anyone talk about Sharangovich but his recent play genuinely makes him a sleeper pick to make the roster in a bottom six role.

There's been a lot of talk about him in the CHL & other leagues thread - anyway, I don't think he will return this year. For him to come back presumably means him coming over, quarantining two weeks, then going through camp, all with an outside shot at making the team. In addition, the AHL is already planned to be out of phase with the NHL re-start. Even if he doesn't have to quarantine two weeks beforehand, that's still a big interruption to his season.

I think they can let him play out the year and then sign him to a 1 year deal with a European Assignment Clause next off-season, if he's amenable.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm not hanging my hat on the "everybody will be better without Hynes" narrative either. I'm sure some players will be, but Zacha's issues have pretty much always been his lack of assertiveness and consistency. He's just kind of there, and I'm not sure a different coach is going to change that.

He could be so much more effective if he gave a shit

Reactions: Guttersniped

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
There's been a lot of talk about him in the CHL & other leagues thread - anyway, I don't think he will return this year. For him to come back presumably means him coming over, quarantining two weeks, then going through camp, all with an outside shot at making the team. In addition, the AHL is already planned to be out of phase with the NHL re-start. Even if he doesn't have to quarantine two weeks beforehand, that's still a big interruption to his season.

I think they can let him play out the year and then sign him to a 1 year deal with a European Assignment Clause next off-season, if he's amenable.
I thought on all these loans the devils said that they'll be recalled when training camp starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad