Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think very highly of Merkley, he might be a decent bottom-6 option but I suspect he won't be in the organization longer than a year or two.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I don't think very highly of Merkley, he might be a decent bottom-6 option but I suspect he won't be in the organization longer than a year or two.
To be fair, we need some bottom 6 guys who can play the game. We have enough top 6 or bust guys. Depending on how you view the 3rd line at least.

Reactions: mdj12784

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I thought Merkley looked great up until that pretty gruesome injury.
I think he's weird...I think his talent is limited and best suited as a bottom 6 player.

But he is more of s play maker...And to me "play making" and 4th line do really go well together.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think Kuokkanen gets a long look....partly because of the expansion draft next year. He would need to be protected and I am not sure how many actual decent pieces we will have available, so they might want to see if he is worthy. Not to mention, he doesn't have much else to prove in the AHL.

as it stands now, our forward protection list is pretty thin....especially if Palms/Zajac are gone. Remember, Hughes and Gusev are both exempt.

I think it's time to give a few of the prospects a long look and the upcoming expansion draft (along with reasonable expectations for this upcoming season) plays a role in that.

As you mentioned, Kuokkanen would need to be protected in the expansion draft (which is part of the reason I think Carolina dealt him, as they knew he would have to be exposed). Merkley, McLeod & Bastian also need to be protected. As do Seney, Sharangovich & Studenic (though it's highly unlikely Seattle would select any of these 3 players).

Nico, Bratt, Johnsson & Zacha account for 4 of the 7 forward spots. Wood most likely accounts for a 5th spot, though I don't think that's 100% definite. Palmieri is a toss-up depending on whether or not he gets resigned. As I mentioned in another thread, Zajac absolutely should not be protected. Either he wants to chase a Cup and gets dealt at the deadline or you wait to resign him until after the expansion draft.

That leaves 1-3 slots for any new additions and/or Kuokkanen, Merkley, McLeod or Bastian to fill. All 4 guys should be given a good shot to see what they can do in the NHL this season to help make the decision easier.

I know that Merkley requires waivers to be sent down, so that gives him an advantage in making the team out of camp. Does anybody know the waiver status on the rest of these guys?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I know that Merkley requires waivers to be sent down, so that gives him an advantage in making the team out of camp. Does anybody know the waiver status on the rest of these guys?

Looking at Capfriendly seems like Kuokkanen and McLeod are waivers exempt, Bastian is not. That surprised me because I thought I remembered hearing that one reason Carolina included Kuokkanen is because was losing his waivers exempt status.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LeBrun: NHL GMs call likely to focus on season logistics, AHL start date

Says the NHL and NHLPA have generally agreed to allowing the 7 non-qualifying teams to have training camp start early and maybe enjoy some extra preseason games. Nothing concrete yet though.

That's fine, I do wonder what the heck preseason will even look like compared to a normal year considering a lot of guys who would normally be at a September camp are playing in their junior/overseas leagues instead. Will there be more than just the NHL and AHL guys there?

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
For the folks who watch Bingo, does Bastian play on the PK at all? He seems like he could be a good 4th liner and maybe net front PP guy and I wonder if he all kills penalties; might give him a leg up?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think Kuokkanen gets a long look....partly because of the expansion draft next year. He would need to be protected and I am not sure how many actual decent pieces we will have available, so they might want to see if he is worthy. Not to mention, he doesn't have much else to prove in the AHL.

as it stands now, our forward protection list is pretty thin....especially if Palms/Zajac are gone. Remember, Hughes and Gusev are both exempt.
Why would Zajac be gone?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
because his contract is up after this year and he is going to be 36 years old?
I didnt realize his deal was up! ThoughI full well expect him to get a 1-2 year cheap deal as our main veteran in the bottom-6

He is still too good defensively and in the locker room to just let go. He would retire a Devil if he could choose and I feel he will get the chance to after another year or two

If he were to leave (as well as Palmieri at the deadline) wed have no forward on the roster over the age of 28. Not to mention I think he can and has been great for Nico and maybe Jack as well

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Looking at Capfriendly seems like Kuokkanen and McLeod are waivers exempt, Bastian is not. That surprised me because I thought I remembered hearing that one reason Carolina included Kuokkanen is because was losing his waivers exempt status.

Ah, yes...I forgot that CapFriendly added that information.

Looking at the Waivers FAQ on CapFriendly, it appears that Bastian is not exempt from waivers due to his early birthday (October '97 whereas Kuokkanen & McLeod are both '98 birth years) despite all 3 players being drafted in 2016 and McLeod/Bastian signing their ELC's around the same time and having the same amount of pro experience.

From CapFriendly:
  • Age is defined by the following CBA 13.4:
    • If a player turns 18 between January 1 and September 15 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 18
    • If a player turns 19 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 19
So, Merkley and Bastian are the only two significant prospects that would have to clear waivers for NJ. Can't imagine that they risk trying to slide either one of them through, especially with only 9 forward spots currently accounted for and Fitz saying he wanted to give the kids an opportunity this season.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I didnt realize his deal was up! ThoughI full well expect him to get a 1-2 year cheap deal as our main veteran in the bottom-6

He is still too good defensively and in the locker room to just let go. He would retire a Devil if he could choose and I feel he will get the chance to after another year or two

If he were to leave (as well as Palmieri at the deadline) wed have no forward on the roster over the age of 28. Not to mention I think he can and has been great for Nico and maybe Jack as well

I love Zajac as much as the next fan but the fact that they tried to trade him last year makes me question if this management would even be looking to extend him.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I love Zajac as much as the next fan but the fact that they tried to trade him last year makes me question if this management would even be looking to extend him.
I thought the comments were teams called on him and Fitzgerald asked if he would, and Travis said hed prefer to stay and Tom had no problem with it

Maybe I misunderstood

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I thought the comments were teams called on him and Fitzgerald asked if he would, and Travis said hed prefer to stay and Tom had no problem with it

Maybe I misunderstood

I might be not remembering all of it then. If true, that would certainly have a more positive outlook.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
So the more I read, I'm seeing a trade with Tampa for Killorn and Cernak as a distinct possibility. If we did get Killorn, would you guys put him on the 1st line? How would you see the lines shaking out in general?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Killorn could be anywhere and do fine I think. Stylistically, I'm guessing he'd be best with Nico.

And yeah, I would love that deal provided we don't give up much. I'm not sure what a hockey trade looks like in that scenario.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Maybe I misunderstood
You misunderstood.

n an additional report from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the Devils, at some point, gave Zajac the opportunity to move in a deal, but his agent, Kurt Overhardt, told Sportsnet Zajac opted to use his full no-trade clause to remain in New Jersey.

“We were presented with something, but Travis was not willing to waive at this time," Overhardt told Sportsnet. "We’ll see about the future after the season.”

NHL rumors: Did Devils’ Travis Zajac turn down trade?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So the more I read, I'm seeing a trade with Tampa for Killorn and Cernak as a distinct possibility. If we did get Killorn, would you guys put him on the 1st line? How would you see the lines shaking out in general?

I think that’s honestly more of a dream scenario for us fans. Killorn is a player that very much so reminds me of a prime Zubrus. Can play on any of the 4 lines and doesnt miss games. On top of that getting a young defensive d-man. I’m all for it but I’m not holding my breath that things work out that well for us.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'd love to have Zajac as a Devil for life. Do the 1 year at a time thing until his game truly falls off and he's no longer able to center a 4th line. But I'm not expecting that to happen. I could see him as the 4c deadline acquisition for a lot of teams.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You misunderstood.

n an additional report from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the Devils, at some point, gave Zajac the opportunity to move in a deal, but his agent, Kurt Overhardt, told Sportsnet Zajac opted to use his full no-trade clause to remain in New Jersey.

“We were presented with something, but Travis was not willing to waive at this time," Overhardt told Sportsnet. "We’ll see about the future after the season.”

NHL rumors: Did Devils’ Travis Zajac turn down trade?
I don't know, I don't think that necessarily is us trying to trade him but rather he, we got this, what do you want to do?

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad