Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is this a shock to anyone? Pretty much was a no brainer after surgery was announced. I doubt he plays much in oct.

Especially with the timeline. He isn't going to play cold in early October...he'll most likely practice and get some rehab games in Bingo first even after being cleared. It is good he can at least go on the trip and have that experience with the rest of the team.

I mentally had him penciled in for late October/early November, we'll see. At least October the schedule isn't that taxing travelwise so you could play KK just about every game and not have to play Lack too much.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Especially with the timeline. He isn't going to play cold in early October...he'll most likely practice and get some rehab games in Bingo first even after being cleared. It is good he can at least go on the trip and have that experience with the rest of the team.

I mentally had him penciled in for late October/early November, we'll see. At least October the schedule isn't that taxing travelwise so you could play KK just about every game and not have to play Lack too much.

I do hope he ends up being able to at least skate with the team. That would be a good next step.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

This is the full quote from Shero on Wood. Morreale notes at the beginning he is expected to re-sign soon.

It doesn't come across as dramatic as the initial tweet by Morreale did.

Wait, so we shouldn't freak out about Wood not being signed? Son of a bitch. What are we supposed to do now?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
My opinion ... Wood might be an organizational headache. He has talent, but he's also a handful to deal with - the reaction on being benched for last seasons opener and now the contract negotiation. Who knows what else goes on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. Maybe Shero (and Hynes to a degree) are soured by players with baggage (see Blandisi) and feel the negatives outweigh the benefits. Again, just my opinion, but given Shero's comment I'm leaning that way.
I think that's a little unfair because a lot of this is going to go through the lens of the agent. I highly doubt that Wood is making his own business decisions, but rather the agent giving him advice and Wood giving his consent. I would think most players rely heavily on their agents when it comes to negotiations and are not actually involved.

I read in Brodeur's book that his agent was a major headache in his contract negotiation and tried to push a trade for Brodeur to be one of the highest paid goalies until Brodeur went over his head and negotiated the deal himself.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
curious what the terms are that he's holding out from but, come on man

That whole understanding the system quote makes me scratch my head. If they aren't that far apart (and Shero said they weren't) then what's the fundamental holdup? Is Wood trying to get a no-trade?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i like this erika wachter already. she asks a question around 2:15 about what he thinks he's gotten better at.

butcher says something about familiarity and skirts around the question, but then she pounces on him at 3:00 about what he feels better at physically. good stuff

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That whole understanding the system quote makes me scratch my head. If they aren't that far apart (and Shero said they weren't) then what's the fundamental holdup? Is Wood trying to get a no-trade?

He's not eligible for a no-trade. The fundamental holdup is probably the dollar gap.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Wood and Ray had a long time to hammer this out.

It's bad for both sides for Miles to miss any time.

He's a key cog, we don't need any strife or distractions.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah but shero's been through this a hundred times before, i doubt he's really trying to lowball wood it just seems like he might have an inflated sense of what he deserves at this point in his career

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Does anybody know who Wood's agent is?

images

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm surprised Randy has not helped get a deal done.

The Devils let Miles play that one game to start the clock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad