Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I'll assume that $35 mil includes RFA's who will need contracts.

Also includes guys like Vat's who are UFA's that we could likely sign.

Edit:Also includes Greene, who yeah is probably not resigned, but will require a replacement, who will require his own contract.

Lol completely wrong! Wow. Vatanen and Greene are UFA in 2 years and their contract numbers are completely and entirely counted into the current cap number. Wow.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It's a fair point that we don't know what the offers are on either end, without any real info generally I do default to thinking any agent's being unreasonable though. Especially when the player has no leverage and there's only so much he's going to get paid on an RFA deal after a season of 3rd-4th line duty.

It won't have QUITE the drama that Revis ending a holdout did on Hard Knocks though :P

Yea... I have that same train of thought for the most part. I always imagine the player like "Are you sure about this?? That seems like a lot to ask.." and the agent convinces the player to ask for that much just as much as they convince the team to give them that much. I honestly have no idea how it works, but I just always had a strong feeling that was the case a lot of the time. I just try to do my best to remind myself I have no idea what's going on and not rush to judgement.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'll assume that $35 mil includes RFA's who will need contracts.

Also includes guys like Vat's who are UFA's that we could likely sign.
holy shit, those little pieces really do add up. we really DO have $35M to play with next offseason. Give butcher 5M, mueller 4M (speculating), let kink and lack walk, re-sign mojo for 6, noesen for 3, zacha for 5 (speculating, again), and we still have....

$12M to use.

The trouble comes the following season, when nico, bratt (maybe), vatanen, and hall need new contracts. even with greene off the books, there isn't much help from expiring RFAs that season to inflate our cap hit #s

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
holy ****, those little pieces really do add up. we really DO have $35M to play with next offseason. Give butcher 5M, mueller 4M (speculating), let kink and lack walk, re-sign mojo for 6, noesen for 3, zacha for 5 (speculating, again), and we still have....

$12M to use.

The trouble comes the following season, when nico, bratt (maybe), vatanen, and hall need new contracts

Ideally it is less because you will already have Hall resigned and will be making sure not to use too much space on long term assets to avoid issues.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lol completely wrong! Wow. Vatanen and Greene are UFA in 2 years and their contract numbers are completely and entirely counted into the current cap number. Wow.
My bad, I should have looked.

But it does include Wood. Also include's RFA's, Zacha, Butcher, Mueller and Noesen.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
holy ****, those little pieces really do add up. we really DO have $35M to play with next offseason. Give butcher 5M, mueller 4M (speculating), let kink and lack walk, re-sign mojo for 6, noesen for 3, zacha for 5 (speculating, again), and we still have....

$12M to use.

The trouble comes the following season, when nico, bratt (maybe), vatanen, and hall need new contracts

If all of the players you mentioned are getting those kinds of deals, we will have made it to at least the conference finals.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

$12M to use.

The trouble comes the following season, when nico, bratt (maybe), vatanen, and hall need new contracts. even with greene off the books, there isn't much help from expiring RFAs that season to inflate our cap hit #s
We can let Kind and Lack walk, but we still need a backup goalie. Same with Boyle, we prob save money there but it's still a spot that will cost a million or so.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly the harder it is to sign FA's and work out these cap deals the less I'm actually worried about cap space. We'd have to have a bunch of stars from within to use all the cap space we have cause other than expansion drafts there's like one or two cap deals an offseason and we're seemingly never in play for a major FA anyway. This is just a lot of unneccesary angst right now, on both ends. If the cap goes down in the next CBA or stops going up every season then I'd be a little more worried about cap space.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

This is the full quote from Shero on Wood. Morreale notes at the beginning he is expected to re-sign soon.

It doesn't come across as dramatic as the initial tweet by Morreale did.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
@OmNomNom I'm not allowed to post on that other page anymore so I can't reply to your last post with your projection with the next 3 years and contracts. I just did my projection a gew posts earlier which I'm sure you saw.

You're giving Marcus Johansson - a 31 year old with 2 concussions in 2018 a multi year deal worth $7m? If youre doing things like that than yes, any teams cap will get tight. Thats not realistic.

The point is that the Devils have among the cleanest - if not THE cleanest slates in the league right now. I would argue that is nowhere near as important as people here make it out to be as the teams who are making the biggest impact player moves are consistently teams who do NOT have clean cap situations, but instead teams who successfully manuever around whatever cap situations they have - as the Sharks just did today.

But since we are talking: The Devils have $18m in cap right now.

In the next 2 seasons they have the following money coming OFF their books:
Johansson - 4.5
Boyle - 2.7
Lovejoy - 2.6
Kinkaid - 1.2
hall - 6
Greene - 5
Vatanen - 4.8

Thats an additional 26.8 of contracts coming off ALONE in addition to the 18 in space thats already there!

Now of course - Hall gets 11 (if he takes it... I am nervous. If I were him I'd like some evidence that the team will bring in some players and I havent seen it yet but who knows I don't know the man). That brings that number down to 15.8 right there.

You have to extend Butcher, Hischier, Bratt, Zacha, Mueller (if you want) and Wood by that time will have a higher number.

And you may extend Vatanen and Johansson. But those would be your choice.

Any way you stack it its a massive amount of space and you have a ways to go to even get BACK to the $18m that youre starting at after you factor in whats coming off, And I didnt even factor in the following year when Zajac drops.

And the young players like Anderson, McLeod, Seney, Smith etc who will replace the Johansson, Boyle, Lovejoy Greene guys will do so at a fraction of their numbers.

Again the idea that the devils need to preserve their current cap number in order to resign current players is complete hogwash. Its propaganda used to direct fans away from the real reason that they are not among the teams adding players to their roster, which is that they do not want to.

Agree with your cap projections but will add the caveat on your second point that UFA players are essentially MarJo. They have various flaws and will likely not be worth the investment. I’m not sure the front office can be blamed for not adding more MarJos. Shero was pretty direct about the draft and build plan he was pursuing and I don’t think he’s deviated much from that. The rentals to make the playoffs had mixed results and both left.

Beyond drafting and development player acquisition is tricky and if EK leaves the Sharks at the end of this year I don’t see that trade as a clear win for them unless they make a legit cup run this season. Maybe they will maybe they won’t but NJ needs long term assets in this stage of the team’s development.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018

$12M to use.

Thank you.

So you know, you are now talking about potential issues maybe possibly starting to crop up 3 YEARS from now. C'mon man.

Successful teams have cap issues EVERYDAY and deal with them because thats what it takes to have rosters full of good players.

Please stop acting like the Devils don't have players because of the cap. They don't have players because they dont want to spend money on players.

Again, you are what your record says you are. If it was different, it would be different.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thank you.

So you know, you are now talking about potential issues maybe possibly starting to crop up 3 YEARS from now. C'mon man.

Successful teams have cap issues EVERYDAY and deal with them because thats what it takes to have rosters full of good players.

Please stop acting like the Devils don't have players because of the cap. They don't have players because they dont want to spend money on players.

Again, you are what your record says you are. If it was different, it would be different.
The Devils have players. What are we talking about they don't have players?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Thank you.

i don't think cap is our issue, but it seemed like you were arguing that our ownership/management was being stingy. We have some space, but not enough where we can just liberally dole out contracts. We're at an interesting crossroads where we can see what people like Bratt, McLeod, Seney, Speers, etc. are truly made of. If they all pan out, then why spend on assets, when we can trade them? It's not like we have the deepest of pools to pull players up from. Long term success necessitates a good farm team, which I would argue we're not deep enough in just yet. There's a fine line between being stingy and being savvy, and I think we're on the savvy have.

I do think we should make a bigger move next offseason though, I'll give you that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Thank you.

lol.

in the past ~3 years, they have given decent to big money to:

Cory Schneider
Andy Greene
Kyle Palmieri
Adam Henrique
Damon Severson
Adam Larsson

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We're not having a thousand posts of this today, on the first day of camp no less when there's actual news here and around the league. If people want to talk about the team or debate the team's future and philosophies, debate them. But if you're just looking to troll or tweak other posters/each other that won't be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad