Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Oof that doesnt sound good with Wood at all.

I’d be curious what decision Shero is respecting? Wood sitting home not getting better or furthering his development and not getting paid? Since Wood’s not arbitration eligible I guess he can demand a trade and pout but he can’t force NJ to do anything right now.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Oof that doesnt sound good with Wood at all.

My opinion ... Wood might be an organizational headache. He has talent, but he's also a handful to deal with - the reaction on being benched for last seasons opener and now the contract negotiation. Who knows what else goes on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. Maybe Shero (and Hynes to a degree) are soured by players with baggage (see Blandisi) and feel the negatives outweigh the benefits. Again, just my opinion, but given Shero's comment I'm leaning that way.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I’d be curious what decision Shero is respecting? Wood sitting home not getting better or furthering his development and not getting paid? Since Wood’s not arbitration eligible I guess he can demand a trade and pout but he can’t force NJ to do anything right now.

His decision to hold out. Wood can come to camp tomorrow if he inks a deal.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
@Zezel22

Re: Cap Space

New Jersey Devils - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I don't think we're in that good of a cap situation, especially if we splash on someone. Now that I think about it, you're right. We're not gonna spend on a free agent. BUT i think we're in a position to make good trades.

18M in cap space, with Boyle and LJ off the books after next season. That brings us to ~23.5M next offseason, to extend Butcher, maybe Marjo. Zacha, Mueller, and Noesen are question marks. Let's assume Marjo keeps the same contract, and we give butcher a 4M boost, that gives us 19.5M to play with.

After the 20-21 season, we have to lock up hall and nico, though greene comes off the books (space up to 24.5M). Assume Hall gets a 7M boost (to 13M) and nico takes up like 8M, our cap shrinks down to 9.5M, with which we need to extend vatanen and bratt (possibly, if he continues).

we have some flexibility, but it's not like we're a floor team.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
My opinion ... Wood might be an organizational headache. He has talent, but he's also a handful to deal with - the reaction on being benched for last seasons opener and now the contract negotiation. Who knows what else goes on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. Maybe Shero (and Hynes to a degree) are soured by players with baggage (see Blandisi) and feel the negatives outweigh the benefits. Again, just my opinion, but given Shero's comment I'm leaning that way.
I dont think Shero would talk so highly of a player if he had attitude problems. And I saw Wood mad at the opener as a young lad who was really pissed he wasn't playing in the opener, thats it. He then went off when he got a roster spot.

I think its just dollars separating Wood from NJ. How much idk

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My opinion ... Wood might be an organizational headache. He has talent, but he's also a handful to deal with - the reaction on being benched for last seasons opener and now the contract negotiation. Who knows what else goes on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. Maybe Shero (and Hynes to a degree) are soured by players with baggage (see Blandisi) and feel the negatives
outweigh the benefits. Again, just my opinion, but given Shero's comment I'm leaning that way.

Hopefully this is agent driven and not the player. Wood can get what he wants in two years with two more good years of play. Sitting at home to do nothing doesn’t make much sense.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
@OmNomNom I'm not allowed to post on that other page anymore so I can't reply to your last post with your projection with the next 3 years and contracts. I just did my projection a gew posts earlier which I'm sure you saw.

You're giving Marcus Johansson - a 31 year old with 2 concussions in 2018 a multi year deal worth $7m? If youre doing things like that than yes, any teams cap will get tight. Thats not realistic.

The point is that the Devils have among the cleanest - if not THE cleanest slates in the league right now. I would argue that is nowhere near as important as people here make it out to be as the teams who are making the biggest impact player moves are consistently teams who do NOT have clean cap situations, but instead teams who successfully manuever around whatever cap situations they have - as the Sharks just did today.

But since we are talking: The Devils have $18m in cap right now.

In the next 2 seasons they have the following money coming OFF their books:
Johansson - 4.5
Boyle - 2.7
Lovejoy - 2.6
Kinkaid - 1.2
hall - 6
Greene - 5
Vatanen - 4.8

Thats an additional 26.8 of contracts coming off ALONE in addition to the 18 in space thats already there!

Now of course - Hall gets 11 (if he takes it... I am nervous. If I were him I'd like some evidence that the team will bring in some players and I havent seen it yet but who knows I don't know the man). That brings that number down to 15.8 right there.

You have to extend Butcher, Hischier, Bratt, Zacha, Mueller (if you want) and Wood by that time will have a higher number.

And you may extend Vatanen and Johansson. But those would be your choice.

Any way you stack it its a massive amount of space and you have a ways to go to even get BACK to the $18m that youre starting at after you factor in whats coming off, And I didnt even factor in the following year when Zajac drops.

And the young players like Anderson, McLeod, Seney, Smith etc who will replace the Johansson, Boyle, Lovejoy Greene guys will do so at a fraction of their numbers.

Again the idea that the devils need to preserve their current cap number in order to resign current players is complete hogwash. Its propaganda used to direct fans away from the real reason that they are not among the teams adding players to their roster, which is that they do not want to.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
The only departure I didn’t like was Maroon, but he had personal reasons. I was also not pleased that they didn’t bother going for DeHaan at all, especially given the perfectly reasonable contract he got from a division rival. Then again, free agents avoid us like the plague anyhow, so why the hell would he come here?

My anxiety over Shero’s overcorrectional course from his time in Pittsburgh will be soothed the second he does something, anything, with the ample amount of cap space he’s got. But he needs to do something.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

1. I don't remember anyone seeing that as a bad thing at the time... and if I did I would have stated my case for it being a great thing. The kid wants to be out there and wants to play, and furthermore I would argue it helped him shoot out of the gate a bit faster if anything when he finally did get on the ice just to prove they made a mistake.

2. If you see contract negotiations as a bad thing, especially when we have no idea who is the one being "unreasonable," I actually don't know how to begin to approach you on this one.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
@OmNomNom I'm not allowed to post on that other page anymore so I can't reply to your last post with your projection with the next 3 years and contracts. I just did my projection a gew posts earlier which I'm sure you saw.

You're giving Marcus Johansson - a 31 year old with 2 concussions in 2018 a multi year deal worth $7m? If youre doing things like that than yes, any teams cap will get tight. Thats not realistic.

The point is that the Devils have among the cleanest - if not THE cleanest slates in the league right now. I would argue that is nowhere near as important as people here make it out to be as the teams who are making the biggest impact player moves are consistently teams who do NOT have clean cap situations, but instead teams who successfully manuever around whatever cap situations they have - as the Sharks just did today.

But since we are talking: The Devils have $18m in cap right now.

In the next 2 seasons they have the following money coming OFF their books:
Johansson - 4.5
Boyle - 2.7
Lovejoy - 2.6
Kinkaid - 1.2
hall - 6
Greene - 5
Vatanen - 4.8

Thats an additional 26.8 of contracts coming off ALONE in addition to the 18 in space thats already there!

Now of course - Hall gets 11 (if he takes it... I am nervous. If I were him I'd like some evidence that the team will bring in some players and I havent seen it yet but who knows I don't know the man). That brings that number down to 15.8 right there.

You have to extend Butcher, Hischier, Bratt, Zacha, Mueller (if you want) and Wood by that time will have a higher number.

And you may extend Vatanen and Johansson. But those would be your choice.

Any way you stack it its a massive amount of space and you have a ways to go to even get BACK to the $18m that youre starting at after you factor in whats coming off, And I didnt even factor in the following year when Zajac drops.

And the young players like Anderson, McLeod, Seney, Smith etc who will replace the Johansson, Boyle, Lovejoy Greene guys will do so at a fraction of their numbers.

Again the idea that the devils need to preserve their current cap number in order to resign current players is complete hogwash. Its propaganda used to direct fans away from the real reason that they are not among the teams adding players to their roster, which is that they do not want to.
i ran a more concise projection a few posts above this one

but you still need to go year by year, not in 2 years' time. IF we're splashing for a free agent, then it's not gonna be a bottom 6er - it's going to be overpayment for a top 6 forward or a top pairing D, with contracts of 7M+

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
2. If you see contract negotiations as a bad thing, especially when we have no idea who is the one being "unreasonable," I actually don't know how to begin to approach you on this one.

Considering they haven't talked in the entire week right before camp I think that's an indication they're really far apart.

I don't see any real evidence he's a problem for the coaching staff though, other than his play dropping off a cliff after his suspension.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad