Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think there is going to be real competition between Kapala, Mueller and Strait for the last LHD spot.

I don't think so. Mueller is eligible for waivers and they just paid a 2nd round pick for him. The only way one of the other two starts the year in the NHL is if there's an injury.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
These lines. I really like these.

Right!? A bit young (average age is 22.25) but all the young guys could easily prove to be NHL ready. Zacha with Nico makes me giddy just thinking about. I'm just imagining that one-timer Zacha scored in the 3 on 3 scrimmage last week and think boy would that be awesome to have him release that shot regularly. Nico could be the perfect player to provide the space and passes for Zacha to do so. Zacha also has the speed to keep up Nico, as does MoJo who can provide the veteran presence and a good two-way game for that line.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Okay, I think I've got the lines I'd like to see the Devils run with to start the year.

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Zacha-Nico-MoJo
Henrique-McLeod-Speers/JQ
Wood/Blandisi-Boyle-Noesen

I want Zacha to be a center long-term but the potential of him and Nico together is too to pass on. Especially if Zacha is truly more assertive and engaged this season, the two of them could be a force for years to come. Zacha's shot really is great and he has a motor that can match Nico's. Mikey may not end up making the team but if he does I'd want him to start at center. I think he's a center through and through, no reason to start him elsewhere IMO. Have Speers and JQ battle for that third line RW spot, either one of them there is fine (contingent on at least of them showing they're NHL ready of course, which I think they both can).

Realistically one of our young centers has to play wing until Zajac is done. Two spots for three guys.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
If Strait starts the year on our roster (assuming no other guys are hurt), I might just skip watching. He's AHL/callup fodder at best.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Greene wears the C.

The staff and management love what Moore brings.

Shero paid a 2nd (reason 1) for waiver-eligible (reason 2) Mueller.

The left side seems set. I don't see much room for debate.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Greene wears the C.

As is the right side. Severson is locked. Lovejoy isn't going anywhere and Santini is ready to go.

None of those 6 lose a job unless Shero makes a trade and brings in an upgrade.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If JQ can play RW and Speers is ready to go, I'm not seeing much of a reason for Nosen to be on the starting roster. Extra forward sure.

Agreed, Noesen looked decent in his limited audition but he was waiver fodder for a reason, i'm certainly not penciling him in for any kind of major contribution, he'd do well just to retain his place on the fourth line given how much competition for places there is.

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Quenneville
Henrique - McLeod - Johansson
Wood - Boyle - Speers
Noesen

Spread the kids out;

1) Hischier plays with our two best wingers, we need to give him every opportunity to succeed straight out of the gate.

2) Zajac 'babysits' Zacha & Quenneville who are probably our two most experienced and defensively responsible youngsters, little to no chance of this line being a liability.

3) McLeod gets to play center with two capable and experienced wingers who can help ease him into the NHL.

4) Boyle (like Zajac) acts as a steadying veteran presence to help Wood & Speers get their feet wet in a limited role.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Greene wears the C.

As is the right side. Severson is locked. Lovejoy isn't going anywhere and Santini is ready to go.

None of those 6 lose a job unless Shero makes a trade and brings in an upgrade.

Agreed. Our 6 defenseman are all pretty much a lock at this point unless there is a trade/signing/PTO. As of right now, there is no debate who the top 6 D are, with Prout as the #7.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Agreed, Noesen looked decent in his limited audition but he was waiver fodder for a reason, i'm certainly not penciling him in for any kind of major contribution, he'd do well just to retain his place on the fourth line given how much competition for places there is.

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Quenneville
Henrique - McLeod - Johansson
Wood - Boyle - Speers
Noesen

Spread the kids out;

1) Hischier plays with our two best wingers, we need to give him every opportunity to succeed straight out of the gate.

2) Zajac 'babysits' Zacha & Quenneville who are probably our two most experienced and defensively responsible youngsters, little to no chance of this line being a liability.

3) McLeod gets to play center with two capable and experienced wingers who can help ease him into the NHL.

4) Boyle (like Zajac) acts as a steadying veteran presence to help Wood & Speers get their feet wet in a limited role.

I would not put Hischier with Hall, only because that's going to draw the other team's top line/checking unit and that seems like a lot of pressure for a kid. Can you imagine Hischier vs Backstrom or Toews? I think it's better to put Henrique on his wing, that way you have an experienced center on his line who can switch off in the defensive zone. Henrique might not be the best center but I'd rather ease him into the NHL this way then throwing him to the wolves immediately.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I'm not ready to throw Nico to the wolves that quickly.

Best to keep the Hall-Zajac-Palms line to start and tweak as the season goes on depending on how the kids perform.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If Strait starts the year on our roster (assuming no other guys are hurt), I might just skip watching. He's AHL/callup fodder at best.

I doubt he will be on the opening night roster but I'd bet he is in the lineup before Christmas.

And also... I don't believe for one second that a guy who was drafted by Ray, coached by Hynes and a US Development Team guy was brought into this organization without the opportunity to make the roster.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Would love to see this lineup.
Hall Zajac Speers/Quenneville
Johansson Hischier Palmieri
Zacha Mcleod Henrique
Wood Boyle Blandisi
Each line has a speed burner that can gain entry with ease 1.Hall 2.Hischier 3. Mcleod 4.Wood
Each line has a mix of veterans and young players. I think Speers and Quenneville can duke it out as either one can be sent to the AHL at anytime. I think Mcleod is ready and Zacha would compliment him very well at left wing.
This is a formidable deep looking squad.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I think there is going to be real competition between Kapala, Mueller and Strait for the last LHD spot.

kapla looked like ****. Strait is already ****.
Mueller is only maybe **** right now.

I think it's muellers to lose unless wee acquire someone else, or move someone over from rd

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Brian Strait was up for consideration as the worst player in the NHL up until he got sent down. He's a mid-bottom pair AHLer and should not touch the NHL next season.

Prout is significantly better than him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A lot of people thought Gormley was going to challenge for a spot out of camp last year. He's better than Strait.

That's a fair comment...but the links and history Strait has to this administration are overwhelming...

So they are either doing him a favor or actually giving him a shot. That's not to say that I can't be reading the situation wrong but from World junior to Development team to being drafted, to playing in the AHL and the NHL under Shero and Hynes I just find it really hard to believe that he's not getting a legitimate shot.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A lot of people thought Gormley was going to challenge for a spot out of camp last year. He's better than Strait.

Most likely Strait was a guy they signed to have some experience down in Binghamton, and if we get a bunch of injuries can be an emergency callup.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's a fair comment...but the links and history Strait has to this administration are overwhelming...

So they are either doing him a favor or actually giving him a shot. That's not to say that I can't be reading the situation wrong but from World junior to Development team to being drafted, to playing in the AHL and the NHL under Shero and Hynes I just find it really hard to believe that he's not getting a legitimate shot.

By this same logic Beau Bennett should still be a Devil.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

You're talking about the same Brian Strait who was drafted in 2006, spent 3 years in college, then 3 years in Wilkes-Barre while only playing 12 games for the NHL Penguins over that time, spent another half-year in Wilkes-Barre during the 12-13 lockout, who was then put on waivers at the beginning of his 4th year and claimed by the Islanders?

I doubt we'll go the whole season without seeing Brian Strait, but I don't think he was signed to play on the NHL team, and I don't see what evidence there is to the contrary. It's like with Ben Lovejoy, everyone thinks Shero loves the guy and maybe he does, but there was a time he dumped him for a 5th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad