Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This isn't the focus of the discussion we're having - Aethon goalpost shifted after I told him that Strait won't be used much on the NHL team next year into talking about how the Devils used Bennett too much last season. Whether or not he should be on this year's team wasn't up for debate here. For the record, I think the Devils should've kept him, but I can see why they talked themselves into not doing so.

My mistake. I didn't realize this was the Triumph Vs Aethon thread.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
My mistake. I didn't realize this was the Triumph Vs Aethon thread.

It's not, but it sounded like you were addressing points that neither of us were making but that you thought we were. If you were just offering up your opinion without reference to that discussion, fine.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I really like Mike27Devils idea of a Hall - Zajac - Speers/Quenneville line.
Thats the line to go out against top competition, and that leaves Palmieri, Nico, Henrique, Johansson, Zacha to play against other teams lines 2-4. I like it.
Hall - Zajac - Speers looks really good to me if Speers can prove he's ready, which for some reason I think he can.
Hall - Zajac - Speers
Johansson - Nico - Palmieri
Henrique - McLeod - Zacha
Wood - Boyle - Quenneville
Blandisi, Noesen

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I really like Mike27Devils idea of a Hall - Zajac - Speers/Quenneville line.
Thats the line to go out against top competition, and that leaves Palmieri, Nico, Henrique, Johansson, Zacha to play against other teams lines 2-4. I like it.
Hall - Zajac - Speers looks really good to me if Speers can prove he's ready, which for some reason I think he can.
Hall - Zajac - Speers
Johansson - Nico - Palmieri
Henrique - McLeod - Zacha
Wood - Boyle - Quenneville
Blandisi, Noesen

I like it for the purpose of spreading around experience. The 3 vet top line followed by 2 super young lines is unbalanced in that regard.

As per chemistry? Sounds good, though maybe one would like more or a shooter on that RW?

Contradicting points I know.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Their is still validity to the appeal though. It isn't the end all be all. There most likely is a good reason people passed on him.

It can't be used as the only reason to dismiss him since the league isn't infalliable, but the same can be argued in the reverse. One can't simply say the league gets it wrong sometimes, so their opinion on players is completely invalid and the interpretation of advanced stats by an amateur is the end all be all.

I agree that coaches and GMs know things that I cannot know, but I cannot even know what those things might be. I can speculate, but what's that worth?

My point is simple, and I've made it many times - if your response to me is going to be 'Coach/GM (or coaches/GMs) think X and you think Y and coaches/GMs get paid and you don't', just don't bother to type it out. You'll save everyone time, because to me the whole point of boards is to talk like a coach or GM about players - it's to give your opinion as though it has authority.

Likewise, if you're going to argue that NHL free agency is an efficient market, you can also just save whatever the Internet equivalent of breath is.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would have been fine bringing Bennett back, I liked him as a player and it does look like we have a spot for a vet RW.

But I again point to what looks like an intentional effort by the Devils to cut loose the list of oft injured players.

Camm, JJ, BB, Merril. If you get 60 games out of any of these games that's a major win.

Meanwhile they brought in 2 players who consistently play 75+ games.

I like it from a roster continuity perspective.

The bottom-6 has been a big game of musical chairs, especially last season with Bennett and Josefson's injuries. That's too turbulent of an environment for young players trying to stick and find chemistry.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I would have been fine bringing Bennett back, I liked him as a player and it does look like we have a spot for a vet RW.

But I again point to what looks like an intentional effort by the Devils to cut loose the list of oft injured players.

Camm, JJ, BB, Merril. If you get 60 games out of any of these games that's a major win.

Meanwhile they brought in 2 players who consistently play 75+ games.

While i'm certain their susceptibility to injuries may have played a part in the decision to part ways with guys like Bennett & Cammalleri, I think the primary motivation for doing so was how extremely one-dimensional their games were. If you're going to be a soft 'scoring' forward you damn well better get the job done on the score-sheet on a consistent basis and last season neither Bennett or Cammalleri managed to do that.

If they're not scoring regularly the question then becomes what else were they bringing to the table on a nightly basis? They're both low intensity players who were mostly passengers on their respective lines. Both are mediocre (at best) defensively, and neither offers any kind of physicality or push back when the team is struggling, not a huge surprise given how fragile they both are.

Bennett wasn't as bad as Cammalleri, but he wasn't a difference maker whatsoever. He'll be a much more useful piece for a team like St. Louis where he'll play a very sheltered role on a good team that already has an established identity. Cammalleri looks completely washed up, but he may have been mailing it in for the last half of the season, perhaps a change of scenery can reinvigorate his career a little.

The fact of the matter is when your team is outmatched in terms of skill you need players who play with speed, intensity and physicality to help level the playing field a little.

Camille the Eel

re Bennett - last year was a case of taking a flyer on a high draft pick guy who never developed but had a lot of injuries. So you see if maybe you've still got a diamond in the rough.

But after last year, you see a player of the "what you've seen is what you are going to get," classification. So you make room for young guys who might still be diamonds in the rough, hoping somebody develops into a top end player, when they've still got the potential.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
BB is a smart player who can hold on to the puck and make plays using his vision.

I didn't find him to be soft either, he worked the boards.

Oh well though, he's a STL now.
Marty gets credit if he has a good season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
IF Johansson can play RW consistently and IF one of Speers/Quenneville can also be NHL RWs this year, letting Bennett go kind of makes sense

I still would've rather keep him, especially considering his pricetag, but not the end of the world.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I really don't get the move. Bennett would have been a perfect low risk insurance policy. His salary would have been low enough that we easily could have buried him in the AHL without a cap hit issue, and would have been fine if one or more of our RW prospects shows they're not ready.

Camille the Eel

Oh yes, good vision, pretty soft hands, smart player. But looks like he's going to be a career journeyman in the league. Solid guy filling in on a third or fourth line nothing more. If that was what we wanted, we could have kept him. But as a first round pick maybe the above formula represents a disappointment over what people hoped when he was drafted.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They want Speers to make the team. I imagine they want McLeod too and he will play RW if he isn't ready to play center.

Add on JQ and Mojo potentially playing RW and very quickly you have no room for Bennett. Might not even have room for Nosen either.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
They want Speers to make the team. I imagine they want McLeod too and he will play RW if he isn't ready to play center.

Add on JQ and Mojo potentially playing RW and very quickly you have no room for Bennett. Might not even have room for Nosen either.

Yea, because playing out of position in the pros is totally can't **** with players.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Even if there was no room for BB, I'd presume we could stick him on the B-Devs and call him up for injuries. There ARE going to be injuries, and right now, the depth charts make me shudder thinking about what will happen when virtually any of the top 9 get hurt, especially on RW.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Even if there was no room for BB, I'd presume we could stick him on the B-Devs and call him up for injuries. There ARE going to be injuries, and right now, the depth charts make me shudder thinking about what will happen when virtually any of the top 9 get hurt, especially on RW.

Palms, Mojo, JQ, Speers, Noesen with McLeod able to play RW, and Bastian in Bingo.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still convinced Hynes didn't like Bennett and I'm also convinced that Hynes either doesn't care about possession, or that he just doesn't have any awareness that it was something that Bennett was good at.

You do need to score some points for that possession to translate into anything, but I think he should have been given one more year and sent packing next offseason if he couldn't do that. We gave Josefson two years to do that and he was inherited by Shero, with no previous connections to Shero or Hynes and was quite a bit worse than Bennett at producing offense over their respective careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad