Detroit Red Wings Couldn’t sell-out home opener.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I wouldn’t pay to watch our defense either

Last time the Tigers were in the playoffs, they played an ALCS game against the Red Sox at the same time the Red Wings hosted a Tuesday night game against Columbus — not the home opener, just a throwaway October game. The Wings game still sold out.

Say what you will about distraction, but 2000 empty seats at the home opener is a huge step backward from what the Wings once were. That team needs to get its act together before it gets worse.
I mean not really.

The team is in zero risk of ever being moved

Reactions: Channelcat

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Credit to the Wings fans for being smart. They recognize last years playoff race was fueled by unsustainable percentages and a regression was imminent. They’ve lost faith in the Yzerplan and are furious local superstar Quinn Hughes is playing elsewhere. Wings fans recognize this team isn’t worth supporting and are speaking with their wallets.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I think it's a good message from the fans telling management to get it together. Consumer pressure. No better way to send a message.

Reactions: Peasy

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Last time the Tigers were in the playoffs, they played an ALCS game against the Red Sox at the same time the Red Wings hosted a Tuesday night game against Columbus — not the home opener, just a throwaway October game. The Wings game still sold out.

Say what you will about distraction, but 2000 empty seats at the home opener is a huge step backward from what the Wings once were. That team needs to get its act together before it gets worse.
... That was 11 years ago. Off the back of being a contender for 2 decades, not at all comparable.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
The amount of fans at the game would have sold out 90% of the arenas in the league, so who cares?

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
My favorite hockey fan trope is when they look down on other sports and fans of other sports.

I'm only into hockey myself, but stop dumping on Baseball fans.
My favourite troupe is people sucking Yzerman's dick, "it will happen, just trust it"

How many years are there supposed to be given for him? 10? 20?

Yeah, I don't usually like cults, so no.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Jeez, it's like other sports don't exist. Detroit's baseball team is in the playoffs, so the focus is on them. Took away from the Red Wings attendance for sure. A team like Toronto probably wouldn't sell out either if Toronto Blue Jays played in a playoff game in town same night.
Good thing neither team has to worry about that, leafs are out of the playoffs by he time jays open the season, and the jays never see the playoffs to interfere with the start of the NHL season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad