Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
After the first three games, without going off the deep end, is there any chance Nemec AND Casey go to Utica? Nemecs been bad, really bad, and Casey's got pretty horrible underlying numbers. So realistically when Pesce and Luke are back is there a shot we see Dillon-Hamilton, Hughes-Pesce, Siegenthaler-Kovacevic?

Sure. Kovacevic can't come out of the lineup right now.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
After the first three games, without going off the deep end, is there any chance Nemec AND Casey go to Utica? Nemecs been bad, really bad, and Casey's got pretty horrible underlying numbers. So realistically when Pesce and Luke are back is there a shot we see Dillon-Hamilton, Hughes-Pesce, Siegenthaler-Kovacevic?
They both can and probably will come out when Pesce and Luke are back, but Nemec will eventually overtake Kovacevic or replace an injured veteran. Nemec is going to progressively get back to and surpass how good he was last season, it's just going to take some time early on.

I think Casey winds up in Utica for the season, and that's for the best. He'll put up monster numbers down there and improve his defensive play.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Palat is slow as can be too. Haula and Bastian have below average speed. Overall the speed in our bottom 6 is below average. As I said in that post if Cotter were to get hurt and replaced by MacDermid or Foote the speed of that group overall is atrocious and most likely (without looking) the worst in the league.

Compared to being fast and a strength a couple of seasons ago. And a fast bottom 6 is a much more effective one in my opinion especially when speed is an important aspect of our top 6. We shouldn’t have abandoned our team identity of speed.
NHL edge data suggests Haula is way above average. He hit approximately 23.5 last year which was roughly 95% of skaters. Lazar is a bit above 22.1 which was league average. Bastian is slightly below average, Palat is further below average and do yourself a favor and don't look at Noesen's edge data. Cotter is well above average. Based on the objective stuff I'd say the bottom six centers are fast and average and one winger is fast and one is more or less average and one is slow and one is a turtle.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Possibly the greatest defenseman in Devils history.

jk but he's been really good, better than advertised. Playing like a legit top-4 guy for us. Passing well, skating well, using his body, looking good defensively. Most of us expected to him to be #7 but it's going to be impossible for us to take him out of the lineup when guys get healthy.
He was blocked from advancing in the Jets organization and we picked him up from the waiver wire and he was a pleasant surprise. He will look better when surrounded by superior players but is a solid stop-gap player when needed. I liked him as a player and wish him well.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He was blocked from advancing in the Jets organization and we picked him up from the waiver wire and he was a pleasant surprise. He will look better when surrounded by superior players but is a solid stop-gap player when needed. I liked him as a player and wish him well.
Now that the Jets have fired Saleh maybe he gets another chance there?

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It's the most likely option right now.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hope Jack comes back with a vengeance quickly and proves a lot of you wrong.....very disappointing to see some of the takes on here about him. Shocked, honestly.

Team goes no where without him. He'll get it going soon.

Luke coming back and Pecse will help 100% as well.

Team is adjusting to a new coach, too.
Are you really surprised?

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Hi there friends

IMG_5118.jpeg

Should be a fun night of hockey tomorrow with all the locals playing. Hopefully we beat some Washington booty!

Eggtimers

Oct 5, 2024
I don’t get why we have had a had a hard time beating the Caps the past couple / few seasons. I don’t now if it’s a stylistic thing that is like our krytonite or what the hell ut is . I also don’t get why it seems like every single rookie in the league gets his first career goal against us or some scrub will get his first ever hat trick or first goal in 463345 games

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Not to be rude but this isn’t even close to how I see it at all. I don’t think he’s playing like he needs to be the guy and I certainly don’t think he needs to settle down. He needs to do the opposite and kick it up a few gears. He’s playing casual and thinks he’s a hands guy trying to dipsy doodle and make cute plays. He looks like shit and is just turning picks over because of that. He’s not Kane he has to play through his skating.

I said this a while ago and got disagreements from a lot of people. Jack's strength is not stickhandling and doing dekes sort of thing. His strength is skating, and he's not doing much of that currnently. Idk if that's from choice or if Keefe is telling him not to do that

I'd like them to swap Dillon and Sieg. I'm not sure how many more games we need to see the Dillon-Hamilton pair is awful.

Hope Jack comes back with a vengeance quickly and proves a lot of you wrong.....very disappointing to see some of the takes on here about him. Shocked, honestly.

Shocked about what exactly? Not a single thing said is wrong. I don't think I've seen anyone said he sucks and should be traded? At least not a serious post.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
I said this a while ago and got disagreements from a lot of people. Jack's strength is not stickhandling and doing dekes sort of thing. His strength is skating, and he's not doing much of that currnently. Idk if that's from choice or if Keefe is telling him not to do that

I'd like them to swap Dillon and Sieg. I'm not sure how many more games we need to see the Dillon-Hamilton pair is awful.

Shocked about what exactly? Not a single thing said is wrong. I don't think I've seen anyone said he sucks and should be traded? At least not a serious post.
I think the biggest problem with Hughes right now is that we're taking away from his strength by stacking both Bratt and Meier with him. All 3 of those players want the puck on their sticks. Having those players with him takes away from Hughes game. I think Hughes works best when he's the main dude on his line. Right now he isn't. Maybe keep 1 of Bratt or Meier with him but there's no reason for all 3. Spread the wealth. I think Hughes would do better with a defensive winger who can cover for his deficiencies or a winger who just has a nasty shot & doesn't have to do much but be ready to rip the pick (similar to Tofolli)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think the biggest problem with Hughes right now is that we're taking away from his strength by stacking both Bratt and Meier with him. All 3 of those players want the puck on their sticks. Having those players with him takes away from Hughes game. I think Hughes works best when he's the main dude on his line. Right now he isn't. Maybe keep 1 of Bratt or Meier with him but there's no reason for all 3. Spread the wealth. I think Hughes would do better with a defensive winger who can cover for his deficiencies or a winger who just has a nasty shot & doesn't have to do much but be ready to rip the pick (similar to Tofolli)
I think both Hughes and Meier suffer a bit when playing together and not just because they’re at their best when puck dominant. I think them being together may make these two worry about being a “puck hog”.

Last game, for example, I think they both had moments when they moved or extended the play rather than drive or shoot because, I speculate, with such good linemates why take a half chance when the line could create a full chance.

Both Meier and Hughes are good enough to succeed on a half chance so I want them trying to make the play when they see an opportunity, not thinking about how their linemates might be in a slightly better position.

Hughes had that same issue, imo, when playing with Toffoli. He kept thinking about setting Toffoli up because Toffoli was the “finisher”.

Maybe both Hughes and Meier eventually work it out, I thought Meier started to just take his chances the second half of last game; so it’s possible this is recognized and it’s something the coaches want them to work through for the team’s benefit later in the year.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Maybe swap Bratt and Mercer?

I believe Tatar was brought back due to the chemistry with Nico. However, having him in that spot does limit some of the combinations with the top two lines. I have major doubts if Tatar can be effective with Hughes or on the third line. We will see how things play out. It’s early.

Meier-Hughes-Mercer
Tatar-Hischier-Bratt

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Meier and Hughes need to be separated. It's very simple. Swap him and Mercer. Let Mercer get greasy goals off Bratt and Hughes' chances and let Meier drive the play with two workman like players who are more complementary to Meiers skillset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad