Detroit Red Wings #9 Prospect Summer 17/18

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think Petruzzelli has a higher ceiling even though some of the other guys have much better chance of reaching theirs. Seems like he could be a homerun pick. Homerun, not slam dunk. Maybe the winds blowing in and it's a routine fly ball I'm not sure yet.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Sticking with my gut and picking The Great Dane, Setkov, again. My gut usually only screws me over about 14.7% of the time.

I'm liking Kasper more as I learn about him. I like the guys who bring a little abrasiveness to the ice.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What difference does it make to be 4 years at College or 4 years at Europe.

Other than being NA biased.

Huge difference

I could care less if they draft a European or North American so long as they are playing over here no later then their second season post draft.

Has their been a European born NHL player who's first taste of north American hockey was four years post draft AND who then went on to a productive nhl career?

If not why not

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lol... We usually agree on prospects for the most part. So I'm trying to siphon some of your optimism with Rasmussen. :)

Very true. I actually like a lot of our young talent. We need to get lucky the next two years in terms of a #1 D or #1 C but then we can take off in my opinion. I am actually hopeful that Rasmussen homeruns and becomes a #1C maybe we get lucky and have a #1A and #1B again.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
Has their been a European born NHL player who's first taste of north American hockey was four years post draft AND who then went on to a productive nhl career?

Axel Holmstrom actually played in NA quicker than Zetterberg and Datsyuk. But if you think the ship has already sailed on a 21 year old who put up a ppg in the playoffs in a men's league after being hurt all year be my guest.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Axel Holmstrom actually played in NA quicker than Zetterberg and Datsyuk. But if you think the ship has already sailed on a 21 year old who put up a ppg in the playoffs in a men's league after being hurt all year be my guest.

And Franzen, so literally our forward core that lead us to our last cup.

I don't think Holmstrom is any of those guys. My problem remains his skating, until I see gains there I just cannot believe in his legitimacy in terms of the NHL some day. He already is and will remain a very good pro in Europe if he cannot get his skating sorted.

Caddy

Mar 4, 2016
Vancouver
Huge difference

I could care less if they draft a European or North American so long as they are playing over here no later then their second season post draft.

If not why not

Silfverberg, Vatanen, Panarin, Kuznetsov, Zetterberg, Klingberg...many more

If you're looking for depth guys, Esa Lindell, William Karlsson, Iiro Pakarinen, Calle Jarnkrok, Oscar Lindberg, Joakim Nordstrom, Joonas Donskoi, Jesper Fast and that's just looking for 5 minutes

It's actually fairly common to bring euros over for their draft +4

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Now I may be mistaken but didn't datsyuk and zetterberg play in the NHL in their fourth season post draft and not a five game stint but rather a full season?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Silfverberg, Vatanen, Panarin, Kuznetsov, Zetterberg, Klingberg...many more

+4

So clearly I am off on this to which i will I was and am wrong

But, did those guys in their fourth year post draft that you mentioned come over to the NHL as full time regulars or not?

If so, are we expecting axel holmstrom to make this team in camp?

Caddy

Mar 4, 2016
Vancouver
Now I may be mistaken but didn't datsyuk and zetterberg play in the NHL in their fourth season post draft and not a five game stint but rather a full season?

You are not mistaken

In Zetterberg's Draft+4 season he played full time in the NHL

Holmstrom is a 2014 draftee (and one of the youngest from the 2014 draft class), he has not played his draft +4 season yet, that's this season. If he wasn't injured over last summer and to start the 2016/17 season, he would've probably played full time in GR this year.

Caddy

Mar 4, 2016
Vancouver

But, did those guys in their fourth year post draft that you mentioned come over to the NHL as full time regulars or not?

Take a look at the list below those top guys

Each of Esa Lindell, William Karlsson, Iiro Pakarinen, Calle Jarnkrok, Oscar Lindberg, Joakim Nordstrom, Joonas Donskoi and Jesper Fast (and these are just a few examples I quickly found) played a season in the AHL for their draft +4 year.

Nobody's saying that Holmstrom needs to become a first liner and make the NHL right away, but he's not completely off track to become an NHLer some time down the road.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You are not mistaken

In Zetterberg's Draft+4 season he played full time in the NHL

Holmstrom is a 2014 draftee (and one of the youngest from the 2014 draft class), he has not played his draft +4 season yet, that's this season. If he wasn't injured over last summer and to start the 2016/17 season, he would've probably played full time in GR this year.

So are we expecting him in the NHL this season?

Is he expected to be full time player in grand rapids?

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

Panarin didn't play a single North American game until 6 years after his draft year. Calle Järnkrok is a guy who fits all your criteria including only becoming an NHL regular in year 5 and whom I could see Axel become similar to.

He's not a good skater, obviously, and it is a big question mark but he can improve that and does have the IQ and the hands that he could find a way to make it work. He's as good a pick as any at this point IMO.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Panarin didn't play a single North American game until 6 years after his draft year. Calle Järnkrok is a guy who fits all your criteria including only becoming an NHL regular in year 5 and whom I could see Axel become similar to.

He's not a good skater, obviously, and it is a big question mark but he can improve that and does have the IQ and the hands that he could find a way to make it work. He's as good a pick as any at this point IMO.

jarnkrok is a great example so fair enough

I guess my point or opinion wasnt that its never been done, but more that its been done very seldom to be, almost zero(when compared to number of players drafted vs first time playing in NA).

I still dont think he will amount to much but i shouldnt have written him off either

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

I guess my point or opinion wasnt that its never been done, but more that its been done very seldom to be, almost zero(when compared to number of players drafted vs first time playing in NA).

I still dont think he will amount to much but i shouldnt have written him off either

Hey, that's all I'm asking. :)

For the record, I think I'm leaning towards Sambrook too, but since it's not likely to matter this round I'm going to think on it some more.

Add Ehn.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Viktor Arvidsson also had same career path (drafted in 1993 --> NA jump at 21 age), but he didn't come to NA after the season in Europe had ended, like Axel Holmström did.

Lindell by the way is not "just depth", guy was a 1st pairing defenceman at last season for Dallas.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Also, Detroit might not be the best team to attach age benchmarks to. I mean, Bertuzzi should be an NHLer this next season straight from training camp, but I think it's unlikely because of how our roster is congested. A case could probably be made for Svech to make that jump. On the backend, I think Russo should be a guy up and playing but won't be.

If Holmstrom puts up some good numbers in GR, I think he should definitely get a look in Detroit this year, but will he? I doubt it will be possible just because of how screwed up the roster is.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Glad to see some defence of Homstrom on here. Despite his limitations 31 points in 32 SEL playoff games, despite missing almost a year injured in the middle, is not to be sniffed at, particularly for a guy who has JUST turned 21.

For comparison, at the same age the original homer had never played in the SHL. Hank had played 1 season in the SHL, albeit a very impressive one, and was still a year from NA. Franzen had never played in the SHL and hadn't even been drafted. Lidstrom had featured in 6 SHL playoff games and scored 1 point.

Even Forsberg was still in Sweden with considerably less SHL playoff points (albeit at a greater clip). Alfredsson was still in Sweden having made no impact on the playoffs there. Kronwall was still in Sweden having barely put up a playoff point. Loui Erikkson didn't make his NHL debut till 22, and had not pulled up any trees in the SHL playoffs.

The list of players who had achieved less by the same time goes on - Edler, Ekholm, Hornqvist, Alex Steen and our own Mik Samuelssson.

Of course, there are many others who were at the NHL much sooner, and the concerns about his skating are both valid and won\t go away, but as someone who has proven they can score in a men's league, and particularly in the playoffs any time he's exposed to them, he has to be taken seriously - he even has a very good World Juniors PPG ratio.

He is the kind of guy that might never make it to the NHL. But if he can adjust, his SEL points totals in the two years he was fit ( I kind of give him a pass for last year due to coming back from ACL surgery), even ignoring his gaudy playoff totals, suggest he can be worth a 3rd line spot (or 4th if we stop being obsessed with defence only on the 4th line).

Either way, as a player who has proven himself to be effective at a higher level than any of our other prospects bar Svech and Bert have even experienced, I think we have to have him in the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad