Details Surrounding Nazem Kadri Trade

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
I don't see what's so bad. He was lucky he was told anything.

The way the meeting is framed is super misleading, as well.

Look, I love Naz, but saying “I was called into a meeting after the season and told I was in their plans for the future….”

Is a lot different than “during end of season one on ones it sounded like I was still in the teams plans”

I don’t really see anything bad. I’m not the biggest Dubas fan but he was cut throat and made a decision. People want us to be like Vegas and this is the kind of stuff you do.

What’s Dubas supposed to do?

“f*** I told Naz he was still in our plans, now I can’t trade him”

That’s ridiculous. A player is part of their plans until the day they are traded

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That might not have been on Dubas to be fair. If I recall, TJ Brodie was part of that deal, and also declined to waive his NTC to go to Toronto.

Situation could have been that Dubas & Treliving agree to the deal, but because both players had NTCs that blocked the trade, they had to approach both players. Word gets out to the players, and they take it upon themselves to reach out to Kadri to try and welcome him.
The two teams agreed in principle, Calgary contacted their player, that player contacted his teammates, the teammates contacted Kadri before Dubas could reach him?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Among the scummy things NHL FOs have done this is probably pretty far down the list. You don't tell a player you are going to trade them unless you are 100% certain you are going to trade them.

Last edited:

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I think a lot of you are reacting with hindsight. The trade was brutal, but there is not a member on this board that did not want Kadri traded after his second playoff suspension, and that did not say, "good riddance" after his third suspension in Colorado.

The context seems a little shady, but I would guess it’s not uncommon.
I definitely didn’t want him traded. He was ours: we drafted and developed that beautiful boy. I wanted that guy to retire a leaf more than any other player in team history. The guy was more of a maple leaf to the core than anybody. Team f***ed him and f***ed themselves in the process

Reactions: All Mod Cons

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The way the meeting is framed is super misleading, as well.

Look, I love Naz, but saying “I was called into a meeting after the season and told I was in their plans for the future….”

Is a lot different than “during end of season one on ones it sounded like I was still in the teams plans”

As everyone who has worked for someone else knows plans change.

People who've worked for multi-billion dollar corporations know even the CEO can be moved for the right price / reason. At least they didn't have him train his replacement and pull the rug out from under him after he got his assistant replacement up to speed.

As far as moving ... who here thinks Kadri wrapped up his own china, and made his own travel arrangements, and flew to Colorado without assistance, and on his own did poop?

Lots of regular working stiffs do that all the time with and without families and on a budget.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m not surprised you think kadri sucked.

Barrie didn’t suck in Colorado, I never said that. What I’m getting at is that it was an unnecessary and short sighted move with one of our best trade chips, it’s almost exactly the same as the stupid as hell Karlsson move.

This wasn’t needed, we had Rielly and we didn’t need another powerplay qb who had no semblance of physicality or a defensive game. Rielly was coming off a 20G 72P season and was solid in the playoffs. Muzzin was more than enough for PP2.

If Barrie worked here, we couldn’t afford him. If Barrie didn’t work here, it was a waste of an incredible asset

Love the no mention on kerfoot, you must agree how awful he was then.

Kadri still produced at roughly a .5ppg playing with the likes of Connor brown and Leo komorav. Had we tried him on the wing or with better wingers he could’ve had even more success. Not surprising he went on to be great for Colorado in the playoffs. Over a point per game in 3 years and 30+ games for the team with a cup.

Kadri and Kerfoot were not that different in the playoffs... Kadri was not some savior in the playoffs.

I think in hindsight, the trade sucked because Barrie didn't live up to what people expected.

But Kadri also got suspended again, do you think this market would tolerate a third suspension? They didn't even tolerate the second.

I don't care about how he did in Colorado, in Toronto he was not that player.

"He was great in Colorado, forget that we have an example of him with the Leafs already, imagine what he could have done with the Leafs if you ignore it"

I definitely didn’t want him traded. He was ours: we drafted and developed that beautiful boy. I wanted that guy to retire a leaf more than any other player in team history. The guy was more of a maple leaf to the core than anybody. Team f***ed him and f***ed themselves in the process

Did they trade him because of his actions?

If the answer is yes, he screwed himself.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The two teams agreed in principle, Calgary contacted their player, that player contacted his teammates, the teammates contacted Kadri before Dubas could reach him?

There may not even have been an "agreement"... could have been a situation where Treliving wanted to take a "proactive" approach with Brodie, before a deal was in place, and Dubas as well.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Kadri and Kerfoot were not that different in the playoffs... Kadri was not some savior in the playoffs.

I think in hindsight, the trade sucked because Barrie didn't live up to what people expected.

But Kadri also got suspended again, do you think this market would tolerate a third suspension? They didn't even tolerate the second.

I don't care about how he did in Colorado, in Toronto he was not that player.

"He was great in Colorado, forget that we have an example of him with the Leafs already, imagine what he could have done with the Leafs if you ignore it"
You just love to be obtuse huh

The trade didn’t suck in hindsight, it sucked straight up. It was a bad deal the second it was done. If barrie “lived up” to what we expected, we couldn’t afford him. So how tf is that a smart and future planning trade?
How you can’t accept that or acknowledge how it wasn’t needed is incredible.

Both of these guys played on Colorado and Toronto. Kadri was better in Toronto with Brown and Komarov when kerfoot had nylander, Tavares, engvall, mikheyev….etc. this dude had 6 of his 13 points in 7 games with nylander. Imagine what kadri would’ve done. Kadri was also better on Colorado with burakovsky and lehkonen vs kerfoot with Mackinnon or whoever he played with. So he’s better no matter where he is.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Never thought they should have traded him, but this all seems a bit whiny.

People lose jobs everyday and sometimes for no reason, without warning. Can’t really say I feel sorry for Kadri, no matter how it was handled, and I don’t think this is out of the ordinary for any sports franchise

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The trade didn’t suck in hindsight, it sucked straight up. It was a bad deal the second it was done. If barrie “lived up” to what we expected, we couldn’t afford him. So how tf is that a smart and future planning trade?

Both of these guys played on Colorado and Toronto. Kadri was better in Toronto with Brown and Komarov when kerfoot had nylander, Tavares, engvall, mikheyev….etc. this dude had 6 of his 13 points in 7 games with nylander. Imagine what kadri would’ve done. Kadri was also better on Colorado with burakovsky and lehkonen vs kerfoot with Mackinnon or whoever he played with. So he’s better no matter where he is.

Kadri got suspended again... he hurt his team in another playoff.

I don't think Toronto wins the cup with Kadri, so his contract is irrelevant.

Okay, well Kadri sucked here, you can argue it all you want, but he was suspended in 2/3 of the playoffs he played in the Matthews era and put up 6 points in 12 games where only 2 were goals.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I was dying for Kyle to become the Sens GM.

It look like they might finally be turning it around. Kyle would've made sure that didn't happen. I've got nothing against the Pens, I just feel sad for their fans, but Kyle as the Sens GM would've been glorious.

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
:laugh: You'd come last in a one team league.
Also you do understand no matter how great of a GM you are, by definition, anyone would come last in a one team league. When hurling insults, try to think your statements through. Try to use some sense of logic next time bud.

Also I won 3 cups in a row in NHL 25! One thing for sure though, I would've never given Marner that terrible contract and would've probably gotten the Leafs to a cup finals. I'm very confident I can do better than our last 3 GMs

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Kadri got suspended again... he hurt his team in another playoff.

I don't think Toronto wins the cup with Kadri, so his contract is irrelevant.

Okay, well Kadri sucked here, you can argue it all you want, but he was suspended in 2/3 of the playoffs he played in the Matthews era and put up 6 points in 12 games where only 2 were goals.
We can relitigate this whole thing, but the bottom line is this: The leagues disciplinary committee totally ignored what precipitated Kadris retaliation. A slewfoot on Naz by Pastrnak, an attempted fly by elbow to the chops by deBrusk, a cross check high on the shoulder by MacAvoy among the other dirt plays that the on ice officials kept ignoring.

Yes Naz lost his mind, but the totality of events should have pre-empted any suspension, a supension that effectively screwed the Leafs and gave the Bs a hand up. Naz is pretty good but he didn't do all that in a vacuum.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We can relitigate this whole thing, but the bottom line is this: The leagues disciplinary committee totally ignored what precipitated Kadris retaliation. A slewfoot on Naz by Pastrnak, an attempted fly by elbow to the chops by deBrusk, a cross check high on the shoulder by MacAvoy among the other dirt plays that the on ice officials kept ignoring.

Yes Naz lost his mind, but the totality of events should have pre-empted any suspension, which effectively screwed the Leafs. Naz is pretty good but he didn't do it in a vacuum.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but he still hurt the team here and didn't produce much, that is the reality.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't disagree with anything you said, but he still hurt the team here and didn't produce much, that is the reality.
I get that, just saying he didn't own all of it, the league did just as much damage to the Bud's. The BettMans interests stop at the 49th parallel and keeping the cup south of it.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
There are so many important facts missing in the OP.

Toronto decision to trade Kadri was not hasty. Just because it worked out for COL and not for TOR doesn't change anything.

Kadri could not be relied on to stay clear of suspension when he was needed the most. Not just in the playoffs, but he did this in the regular season.

I like Kadri. He's a good guy. I hope for the best for him. I feel for him and the stress he must have went through (wife expecting).

I just don't think there was evil or bad things done.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
i'm wondering who his fan club can blame for all his bad moves with the Pens ?

First off I think Kyle Dubas is a shit GM. So I’m not in his “fan club”. But I do think Shanahan is equally responsible. He hired the rookie GM. So im curious to see what the dynamic between the two on these big decisions were.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The trade at the time targeted Brodie and Barrie whom were both one year out from UFA as well as a secondary 3C piece in Jankowski (who is barely NHL in a good year) and Kerfoot, who was what he was.

So it was engineered as a very superficial 2 for 1 in any permutation with the idea of securing some short term D help with no regard for long term blueline construction, and just a planned C downgrade. Factor in the minimum cost difference in AAV to the contract they signed Kerfoot to ($3.5 million vs $4.5 million), you can easily see the thought process and... there wasn't any genius then and there isn't any in hindsight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad