Waived: [DET] G Ville Husso waived by the Red Wings

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Weird. Holl played yesterday in DRWs shutout. And Copp was a HUGE contributor to that win.
Sorry, I thought they waived Holl, he wasn't claimed by nobody and then they recalled him because what remains of Jeff Petry (that he could not beat for a roster spot) was injured.

I must have been mistaken.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Husso was a very good trade/signing, and there were many teams, including Edmonton and Toronto, thinking they were gonna get their hands on him, before Detroit sent the pick over.

He was also great for DET until the groin and core injury. Every time he seems ready to go again, it happens again. The man really hasn’t played in almost 2 years. December of 2022 was the last time he was normal. Tried starting last season as well, and he just can’t move like he did prior to the injury. Every time you see that quickness again, he’s hurt within a couple of games.

We’ll see if they try starting from scratch for the 4th time now, or they try waiving him, and possibly LTIR him. It’s really gonna be up to him at this point. If he wants to keep trying, go down to the AHL and try again, but I think Detroit is finally done trying. The man has basically been rehabbing for 2 years.

Rational thinking in this thread. Oh my...

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Husso was a very good trade/signing, and there were many teams, including Edmonton and Toronto, thinking they were gonna get their hands on him, before Detroit sent the pick over.

He was also great for DET until the groin and core injury. Every time he seems ready to go again, it happens again. The man really hasn’t played in almost 2 years. December of 2022 was the last time he was normal. Tried starting last season as well, and he just can’t move like he did prior to the injury. Every time you see that quickness again, he’s hurt within a couple of games.

We’ll see if they try starting from scratch for the 4th time now, or they try waiving him, and possibly LTIR him. It’s really gonna be up to him at this point. If he wants to keep trying, go down to the AHL and try again, but I think Detroit is finally done trying. The man has basically been rehabbing for 2 years.
Thanks for the sensible comment with actual useful content :laugh:

Reactions: Fuhrious

Imgoingtowork

I understood english and hockey
Apr 15, 2024
Sweden
Good with changes in the team.

Husso certainly a good goalkeeper but we have good replacements.

New purchase Campbell gets the chance?

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Good with changes in the team.

Husso certainly a good goalkeeper but we have good replacements.

New purchase Campbell gets the chance?

Campbell's currently in the assistance program. So it's gonna be Talbot/Lyon going forward I imagine.

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good riddance. I had a feeling this was coming after that pathetic goal from Marcus Pettersson the other night.

Maybe the greatest one hit wonder goalie since the Hamburglar.

One good season in the NHL. He wasn't even good in his rookie season in St. Louis. I was lambasting Detroit for even starting him on opening night.

Him getting injured and not playing after December (except for one game in February, where I'm pretty sure he left that game injured) might have been the worst thing that happened to them last season. Because he would have played way more and they would have missed the playoffs by 6-10 points (maybe even more?) instead of only 0 points and missing on a tiebreaker. He has significantly worse numbers than the other two regular goalies who were there last year.

And yet I'm sure teams will still be interested in signing him this coming offseason.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Husso is Manny Legacy. Good in Spurts. A great damn season. But he can't carry the roll. If he plays too much he gets injured or goes thru horrible stretches. If he plays too little he ends up in a slump/not able to get going.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. I give Yzerman a little more leash on this bad contract than the other ones. This one was a swing on a goaltender that was pretty coveted around the league, with multiple high profile suitors...and they won out. He was a legitimately pretty good goaltender at the time. But as a smaller more quickness/reflex dependent goaltender, these injuries seem to have just absolutely nuked his ability to tend the net effectively.

That's always a risk, particularly with those types of goalies, but it can happen to anyone. Guys just fall off a cliff all the time when they start picking up repeated injuries and nagging lower body issues. Hard enough just to get back into some sort of "groove" that they need to be in as a smaller goalie...next to impossible when the injuries just keep on coming. Especially when they start to really sap that athleticism that's even more important to them.

Someone will still give him a shot next year on a cheap deal. Who knows how that will go...if he has a little more time to "get right" and healthy before then.

I do even wonder if at some point this year, there isn't a team that would take a flyer on him to close out the year. Maybe someone who deals one of their own goalies away toward the deadline, or has injuries and doesn't want to throw a young guy to the wolves just yet. The fact it's just this year remaining makes that at least plausible...but i highly doubt anyone bothers with him at full salary at this point. Not sure anyone is in a big enough goaltending panic just yet (save for Colorado maybe - but they can't afford it and have Kahkonen to try first anyway).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Should have bought him out this summer.
Then there is dead cap space next season... This isn't a do or die season for the Wings. Part of why I'm annoyed they gave Kane bonuses rather than just giving him money straight up for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad