Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Joe Veleno re-signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
yzerman is building a culture based in work ethic and 100% commitment to the game . he will take guys of lesser talent if they fit his culture over more talented players . players like copp , rasmussen and veleno got the right stuff to go out there and be one of yzermans sled dogs for 98 games a year . jv dont have alot of offensive talent , but has wheels , is strong , and hustles , and is a center
Veleno has been and will always be a 4th liner in this league…That $$$ might’ve been better spent on Sprong.

Players like Copp, Ras, Veleno don't do the right stuff out there. You probably confuse them with players like Filppula and Cleary or going even further Draper and Maltby. Those were really character guys that tilted the ice in a right way.
Indeed…Want to be more than a run of the mill 3rd or 4th line forward? Then watch old footage of the ‘Grind Line’…Get your nose dirty - bleed on them - let’’em know you’re there!

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Meh player, meh deal.

Still don't get how Yzerman had to pay a 2nd to get out of Walman's deal.

Kane, Tarasenko... I really don't like the Wings offseason, now for a second year in a row.
i cant get over the thought that we should have gotten back a 2nd for walman plus kept the 2nd we shipped . but i guess yzerman figured it was a weak draft plus knew , like were seeinhg now , he was going to need the cap space
I believe sending Walman and the 2nd rounder was a necessary move to clear cap and a roster spot for Trouba…

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
Europe
The talented center Nate Danielson we needed now for the next regular season.

Yzerman hurry up.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
For really not a lot of money in 2024 that still seems like too much.

Wasn't he an exceptional status at one point? What happened? Either he learns to muck proper and produce when needed or he won't last in this league.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Players like Copp, Ras, Veleno don't do the right stuff out there. You probably confuse them with players like Filppula and Cleary or going even further Draper and Maltby. Those were really character guys that tilted the ice in a right way.

I don't think Ras belongs in the same group as Veleno and Copp. He does compete. He might not be in the latter group either but he's closer to them than Veleno.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Meh player, meh deal.

Still don't get how Yzerman had to pay a 2nd to get out of Walman's deal.

Kane, Tarasenko... I really don't like the Wings offseason, now for a second year in a row.
Given that you were wrong last year wouldn’t that make you give them the benefit of the doubt this year?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I believe sending Walman and the 2nd rounder was a necessary move to clear cap and a roster spot for Trouba…
i can see needing cap space so moving walman . but if that was the case you'd think we would have gotten a draft pick back for walman whom is a solid power skater with ruggedness and a wicked shot . but instead we added a draft pick ?????????????? thats the mind boggling mystery of 2024 . and like some have speculated maybe he didnt fit yzermans sort of rigid team culture , ok fine but having to pay a 2nd to move him instead of getting a say 2nd for him is the mystery

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
yzerman is building a culture based in work ethic and 100% commitment to the game . he will take guys of lesser talent if they fit his culture over more talented players . players like copp , rasmussen and veleno got the right stuff to go out there and be one of yzermans sled dogs for 98 games a year . jv dont have alot of offensive talent , but has wheels , is strong , and hustles , and is a center
He needs to get a lot more physical if he isn't going to bring more offense. I agree that he works hard, but unless he is going to score 30 points his game needs to closer resemble Fischer in terms of planting guys in the corner and being harder to play against.

I will say our PK should be excellent with Copp/Compher, Rasmussen/Fischer, Veleno/Motte firing over the boards for the three shifts. It also get Larkin off the PK to drive more five on five minutes. Larks is a really good PK guy, but I think this is a part of the focus, for the first time in a while your offensive guys are all off the PK.

Both Kasper and Danielson would likely replace one of the last three if they are drawing in the lineup, even as young players they are both excellent PK guys. I still am hopeful one of them is up really early in the year.

Reactions: Ulysses31

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Started the 2023 season looking like he was going to have a breakout season.

I don’t remember the exact date, but when Kane arrived his level of play on the ice declined quite a bit.

Hopefully with another strong off season training he can take another step forward this year. Traditionally he’s always been a slow developer in every league he’s played in. I think this is a fair contract and will be a great contract by next year the latest.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Given that you were wrong last year wouldn’t that make you give them the benefit of the doubt this year?
Was I wrong?

Holl, Chiarot, Petry... Missing the playoffs, yet again, choking big time in the last months of the season.

Now losing Walman and having to pay a 2nd (!) to do so and sign old geezers on the back 9 like Talbot, Tarasenko and Kane. I think Kane's game goes off a cliff this year. Watching him against Montreal when the season was on the line being slow as hell was painful. Raymond, Larkin and Perron were the only good offensive drivers on that team, and Perron is gone. Raymond was THE driver of play. DeBrincat underwhelming after a hot start didn't help.

Tarasenko is at best a depth middle-6 player at this point, but at least he's not over 35.

What is the most concerning with those offseason moves is that now the team is full of players over 25, but they can't even make the playoffs... How better these guys can get?

Only key players (top 6, top 4) on that roster under 25 are Seider and Raymond. All the others are either at best depth (Veleno) or question marks (Edvinsson).

But yeah, 2 awesome offseasons, I guess.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
i can see needing cap space so moving walman . but if that was the case you'd think we would have gotten a draft pick back for walman whom is a solid power skater with ruggedness and a wicked shot . but instead we added a draft pick ?????????????? thats the mind boggling mystery of 2024 . and like some have speculated maybe he didnt fit yzermans sort of rigid team culture , ok fine but having to pay a 2nd to move him instead of getting a say 2nd for him is the mystery
1721477742964.jpeg

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
He needs to get a lot more physical if he isn't going to bring more offense. I agree that he works hard, but unless he is going to score 30 points his game needs to closer resemble Fischer in terms of planting guys in the corner and being harder to play against.

I will say our PK should be excellent with Copp/Compher, Rasmussen/Fischer, Veleno/Motte firing over the boards for the three shifts. It also get Larkin off the PK to drive more five on five minutes. Larks is a really good PK guy, but I think this is a part of the focus, for the first time in a while your offensive guys are all off the PK.

Both Kasper and Danielson would likely replace one of the last three if they are drawing in the lineup, even as young players they are both excellent PK guys. I still am hopeful one of them is up really early in the year.
yes i really hope that larkins no longer having to be used on the pk , ide never use my top gun center and mail carrier on the pk as its putting hard minutes on him plus increasing the risk hes injured by graphite propelled missiles

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems a little bit too much, but it's short term...no biggie. I mean, he's ok, but no Filip Johansson.:rolleyes:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
do you know how to read ? the compensation is them getting a 2nd and walman for nothing . so they now owe detroit future considerations , as in taking on holls cap hit . as in detroit paid a 2nd and walman for sjs to eventually take holl
Lol of course I can read. I just thought the suggestion that SJ would take Holl as part of the Walman deal was too stupid to be serious.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
About 500k too much but it won’t make any real difference to the team. Which is coincidentally exactly how I would describe Veleno as a player. He’s just kind of “there”.

Hope he’s gone after those two years

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Another one of Kenny's blunders survives.
Eh, getting a 4th line player, although one of the most vanilla and boring 4th line players alone, for a 30th overall pick isn’t really a blunder.

You’re lucky to get an NHL player at that point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad