Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Transit in Vancouver is not good. The bar needs to be raised.

Also the seating on the skytrain is not the best use of space. What's with the odd T layouts for seats. Just be conventional and have the seats have their backs to the windows and face in.

And the last time I was back the skytrain sounded way lounder. Not sure if it is my memory or wear-and-tear.

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
And the last time I was back the skytrain sounded way lounder. Not sure if it is my memory or wear-and-tear.
Yeah, that tunnel to Burquitlam from the Newport station was legit painful. I’ve got a sensitivity to sound and I was really glad to have noise canceling headphone for that.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This is the reason Tanner Glass' NHL career ended. His last NHL stop was Calgary. No Skytrain in Calgary.

Couldn't make it to the games.

He signed in France because he was pretty sure he legally wasn’t allowed to live in Calgary due to his not being a cow. He couldn’t handle another season of the stress of staying under the radar.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He signed in France because he was pretty sure he legally wasn’t allowed to live in Calgary due to his not being a cow. He couldn’t handle another season of the stress of staying under the radar.
It was actually because of the phenomenal Metro system in Paris. Glass could finally realize his dream of going car-free.

Reactions: Peen and Vector

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is a weird flex but i may never get another chance to use it. i briefly worked at the london underground a very long time ago as a student and actually reviewed this as part of an evaluation on whether to refurbish or replace old rail cars. they did a bunch of testing of old and new rail cars including a 1960s vip train that barely got used.

short answer is you probably are not imagining it. they may be delaying maintenance on rail wheels and tracks, which is the main cause of external noise and a lot of internal noise, but general rail car wear and flex is also likely contributing to internal noise. the flex problem is likely worse on corners. you cannot fix it with refurbishment and you might make it worse if you try.

also, it turned out the low mileage 1960s rail car was much quieter than their brand new 1980s trains. so they solved that by taking the vip train out of the graph in the study.

their overall solution was to replace track and rail wheels more frequently and run the old trains into the ground. a sidebar to this was that it being the 1980s in the uk the london underground hired tons of unemployed people at minimum wage to do the rail work (overnight). anyone refusing the job was cut off benefits. i worked at their training centre briefly. the state of the people shuffling into the introductory training sessions on a monday morning was something to behold.

finally, there were also people who clean subway tunnels at night. they were called fluffers and were all women and among other things they literally dusted the tracks between stations to reduce wear. some years later i learned this term is also used in a different industry.

the more you know.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

utah-hockey-club-uniforms-sportslogosnet.jpg

utah-hockey-club-full-new-uniform-2024-2025-sportslogosnet.jpg

utah-hockey-club-centre-ice-design-2024-25-sportslogosnet.jpg

utah-hockey-club-jersey-patch-2024-2025-sportslogosnet.jpg

utah-hockey-club-helmet.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At least it's temporary and are expected to change everything for next season. I'm convinced they will keep the same colour palette, though.
We're on the threshold of NHL training camps, and the Utah Hockey Club, still doesn't have a name. Is it just me, or does that strike you as a little weird?

Unless the promotions and marketing people have some sort of 'sneak preview' on what the name might be.....you have to feel a little sorry for them.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i mean the rangers and the entirety of the nba does the same thing

i want that exact uni to remain the alt even when they have an actual name.
I don't like when the Rags do it either and the NBA has a very different look to the NHL, so it's slightly more appealing when they do it.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
This is pretty wrong. Compared to pretty much any other city in North America (other than New York), Vancouver has great public transit. Skytrain is 10x better than rapid transit in any other non-NY North American city. People who've come to the Lower Mainland from elsewhere have told me the same thing.

Plus with bike infrastructure + ride share stuff, it is becoming relatively feasible to not have a car. I've been in Calgary, Edmonton, and lived in Ottawa and it's simply impossible to say the same for those places.

Yep. 100%.

Vancouver doesn't hold a candle to the transportation in East Asia or Europe. but nowhere really does. By NA standards, it's about as good as it gets.
Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are all similarly adequate and are typically ranked close to one another in consulting reports. NY (by a wide margin), Chicago, and SF are all better. Washington DC and Boston are probably comparable from a US perspective.

The big thing that bugs me about Vancouver isn’t the transit, it’s the lack of a highway or 3+ lane road through the city. Makes driving a slog.

Reactions: credulous

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Not sure if this was posted, but Kyle Bukauskas replaces Jeff Marek on 32 thoughts pod.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad