Value of: Despres to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Two years of poor play?

What on earth are you talking about?

Despres played excellent for the Ducks after his acquisition and was great for them in the playoffs that spring.

You do realize it was the Ducks that gave him that five-year deal, right?

Are you actually suggesting that they acquired him, he played "poorly" for them, and then they turned around and offered him a five-year contract extension?

You need to just stop this. It's embarrassing.

Jesus.

I'm not saying he has played two consecutive poor years. I'm saying, he will have if he sucks again next year as much as he did this year. At that point it would be two bad years. He would have 4 years left on his deal. How much at that point is Despres worth? Negative value. Like I've been saying if his play doesn't recover from last season, throughout this upcoming season. His value will veer towards negative given it's size and his production.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Looks like someone didn't get the memo. Although Leivo is probably not enough on his own to land Despres, he most certainly is not some bottom feeding prospect either. The op wants a conversation and garbage like this isn't conducive to that. Anyways, Despres makes sense for the Leafs in that he fills a need. What do the Ducks realistically want?

Nope, he's the common denominator player that every fanbase has that is just useful enough to throw out there but just useless enough for fans to not care if he's gone. It happens every offseason.

The real proposals are the ones that hurt, the ones both fanbases say no to. Then you'll be on to something.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
It would be so wonderful to click on one of these trade threads once in a while and see an actual intelligent conversation. Instead of bashing other peoples proposals why not build off it? Make a counter offer, list some players you would have interest in from the other organization, its not that hard really. Imagine how little we would see real trades if GMs in the league operated in such a manner. I don't imagine many deals are made after on proposal.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

was gonna post this after reading the first 2 pages of the thread.

Congrats to the OP and others for keeping cool and trying to get the discussion going. Too bad.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
pass on depres. carrick has a higher upside and we won't be exposing him in the expansion draft. why waste assets on a guy that is gonna get claimed?

Holland, michalek, corrado etc, guys that won't be protected sure.

Leipsic, Brown, Rychel etc.? no

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
so we give up two good prospects, and then if we protect him we lose carrick in the expansion draft?

Timashov, Lindberg, Carrick out, Despres in...gross

While it doesn't tip the scale in favor of the trade being good, but you have to include the player that would be taken in the expansion draft in a scenario where the Leafs don't have Despres (likely Marincin)

So Timashov, Lindberg, Carrick --> Despres, Marincin

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
While it doesn't tip the scale in favor of the trade being good, but you have to include the player that would be taken in the expansion draft in a scenario where the Leafs don't have Despres (likely Marincin)

So Timashov, Lindberg, Carrick --> Despres, Marincin

i'd still rather the first group haha. those are two very solid prospects and carrick could easily be the best dman of this group. he went off in the ahl after being acquired from the caps.

if the leafs are gonna bring in a guy to take their 3rd d protection slot, it has to be for a legit #2 dman. depres isnt that. Just doesnt make sense at this time for the leafs, I can see why anaheim does it though because they are likely to lose rackell/silverfberg/depres

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I am not opposed to trading Despres. Want to unload Stoner. So would you do Despres and Stoner for something and if so what?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think despres would be a decent fit in Toronto but I feel like his value is kinda weird atm due to his injuries last year .

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I still think Leivo should be apart of the deal. He's young, but I'd call him NHL ready. And Anaheim does need some forward depth. I think it's all a question of what more Toronto should add.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I still think Leivo should be apart of the deal. He's young, but I'd call him NHL ready. And Anaheim does need some forward depth. I think it's all a question of what more Toronto should add.

Yea it kinda depends if despres was made available if any other t3ams were interested, which I assume a few would kick tires on him... before the injury he was playing on top pairing with Fowler and doing pretty well. So the potential is there if he ever recovers

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Yea it kinda depends if despres was made available if any other t3ams were interested, which I assume a few would kick tires on him... before the injury he was playing on top pairing with Fowler and doing pretty well. So the potential is there if he ever recovers

I'd be calling NJ immediately. I'd say they need some defense, and we all know how much Shero loves his former Penguins players.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd be calling NJ immediately. I'd say they need some defense, and we all know how much Shero loves his former Penguins players.

Yea top 4 dmen seem to always be in need in the NHL, it's just hard to say if despres can go back to that form or not. If he can he is worth his contract for sure, and likely what is given up to aquire him.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Leivo is a former late round pick who has developed well on a long path, he's still a prospect for all intents and purposes. Had an excellent AHL year and a good showing in his NHL call up. Still has upside, and has all of a sudden developed a dangerous wrist shot. He just got a new contract from a regime that didn't draft him that's sitting on a top 5 farm system in the NHL that is very deep, so contracts are valuable
3rd round is a late round now?

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Leivo
Holland
Corrado
Leipsic

Are these pieces or any other pieces in our system something that could appeal to Anaheim?

No interest in any of those personally. If you'd be willing to offer Kapanen, then I'd listen.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No interest in any of those personally. If you'd be willing to offer Kapanen, then I'd listen.

yeah that just isnt gonna happen. if we are moving kapanen, it wouldnt be for a guy who has played 40+ games once in his career with a hefty cap hit for another 5 years

I don't see the leafs wanting to help the ducks out of their cap/expansion draft woes. they will probably see what they have with zaitsev,carrick,marincin, corrado etc. they need at least 1 to develop into a top 4 dman and they will probably grab the best dman available with their likely top 10 pick next year

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
and leafs counter with Holland and a 2nd for Fowler in an equally laughable trade

Not quite equally, since Despres > Holland by a fair margin. The guy just cleared waivers. But yeah, that proposal was bad and deserving of a ridiculing counter offer. :)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not quite equally, since Despres > Holland by a fair margin. The guy just cleared waivers. But yeah, that proposal was bad and deserving of a ridiculing counter offer. :)

yeah i wasnt really going in the holland=despres direction just throwing out a counter thats also terrible.

honestly the only thing that makes sense is some kind of JVR for Fowler swap but im not even touching that lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad