Value of: Despres to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I'd really love the Ducks to get Komarov. I don't expect Leafs trade him, but what medium add could Ducks include with Despres?

I imagine Leo can play LW since he shoots left - NHL lists him as a C. RC would prob love this guy also.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd really love the Ducks to get Komarov. I don't expect Leafs trade him, but what medium add could Ducks include with Despres?

I imagine Leo can play LW since he shoots left - NHL lists him as a C. RC would prob love this guy also.

He's played all 3 forward positions. Had a lot of success last year playing RW for Kadri, but wouldn't really be up for grabs as he's considered a core player by the organization, so don't think this is the type of trade he'd be moved in

This Ducks fan would say yes to that, happen to be a big fan of Lindberg.

I'd do it, sucks to lose our bigger wingers but I'd do it.

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

Leivo is 23 and he's failed to crack the Leafs roster when they are the worst team in the NHL.

Seems odd to then dangle him as the centre piece of a trade for an NHL talent and characterize him as a "prize."

How would he crack the Ducks when he couldn't even crack the Leafs?

Just like Richard Panik couldn't crack Chic-----

Oops.

He's a good 3rd liner for them.

That's not a good argument. See Schultz, Justin.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Despres is coming off a season of injuries and poor play. If that continues into next season he quickly becomes a negative value contract and he's signed for 5 seasons.

The pieces in the OP aren't very valuable. That's kind of the point, neither is Despres.

For the Ducks the goal of this move would be to ship him out for as much as they can squeeze before his value turns anymore to the south and they can't move him. They have lots of young defenders and a few proven defenders better then Despres already.

All the players in the OP still have NHL upside. But, are of the bubble player variety currently.

Hah this is the typical hfboards trade offer. "id like to trade for this player on his team. He's horrible and will probably soon have negative value. Not sure why you'd want to hold on to him really. Might as well get something for him. Here! Take this player. He's on the cusp of greatness. I mean we would love to keep him but we have too many great players."

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
All of these competent, valuable, yummy players that keep showing up in proposal after proposal. It's almost like Toronto fans are trying to do us a favor, how nice.

Because you have Dmen and limited forwards and we have a pile of forwards and limited Dmen
You guys are struggling to put together a competent forward group now never mind injury's at some point in the season
This type of deal makes sense and you can get rid of some salary which you need to do having an internal cap and all
We can offer players like
Shoshnikov Hyman Greening Lievo Lepsig Holland Rychel Froese and picks if need be
Not to be picky about this but some of these cheap guys would walk onto your 3rd line next season no trouble
Despres is not exactly a massive slam dunk for us either if he continues to play like he did after his concussions this type of deal looks really bad

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Hah this is the typical hfboards trade offer. "id like to trade for this player on his team. He's horrible and will probably soon have negative value. Not sure why you'd want to hold on to him really. Might as well get something for him. Here! Take this player. He's on the cusp of greatness. I mean we would love to keep him but we have too many great players."

There comes great risk with this trade given the size of the player's contract and the way his most recent season went. His skill set is interesting, so much so that even after his most recent season there are a number of us that would take on his entire cap commitment without giving any back and would trade prospects for the right to do so.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Here's a bunch of stuff we don't want. Please?

These responses keep getting sadder and tiresome. Could you at least act like you know what you're talking about instead of making sweeping generalizations about prospects you know nothing about?

All of these competent, valuable, yummy players that keep showing up in proposal after proposal. It's almost like Toronto fans are trying to do us a favor, how nice.

Looks like someone didn't get the memo. Although Leivo is probably not enough on his own to land Despres, he most certainly is not some bottom feeding prospect either. The op wants a conversation and garbage like this isn't conducive to that. Anyways, Despres makes sense for the Leafs in that he fills a need. What do the Ducks realistically want?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Looks like someone didn't get the memo. Although Leivo is probably not enough on his own to land Despres, he most certainly is not some bottom feeding prospect either. The op wants a conversation and garbage like this isn't conducive to that. Anyways, Despres makes sense for the Leafs in that he fills a need. What do the Ducks realistically want?
Lindberg+picks. Leivo is not needed.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
That's not a good argument. See Schultz, Justin.

Are you labouring under the delusion that Justin Schultz spent last year in the minors before his trade?

Or that he became a regular in Pittsburgh after the trade?

He played for the Oilers, got traded, wasn't good enough to crack Pittsburgh so he was in an out of their lineup, than got into the lineup after a season-ending injury to Trevor Daley.

And you're telling *me* I'm not making a good argument?

:laugh:

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Not a Despres fan really.
The Ducks understandably don't want to give him up for some B prospects and I wouldn't want to pay more than a couple B prospects.
Basically unlikely there is a deal in there

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Despres is coming off a season of injuries and poor play. If that continues into next season he quickly becomes a negative value contract and he's signed for 5 seasons.

For the Ducks the goal of this move would be to ship him out for as much as they can squeeze before his value turns anymore to the south and they can't move him.

So now Despres is on the verge of having "negative value" and if he's not traded soon the Ducks will be unable to move him at all.

I can't decide if this post is funny or sad.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So now Despres is on the verge of having "negative value" and if he's not traded soon the Ducks will be unable to move him at all.

I can't decide if this post is funny or sad.

Maybe, value fluctuates.

What's a player under contract for another 4 years at big money after 2 years of injury troubles and poor on ice play worth? Obviously, if he continues to fail to live up to his contract he becomes harder and harder to move. He could come into next season and be great and that's a very real possibility. Which is why I would take his contract on in the first place and trade positive value for it. But, if you can't see the risk here, I don't know what to tell you.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Maybe, value fluctuates.

What's a player under contract for another 4 years at big money after 2 years of injury troubles and poor on ice play worth? Obviously, if he continues to fail to live up to his contract he becomes harder and harder to move. He could come into next season and be great and that's a very real possibility. Which is why I would take his contract on in the first place and trade positive value for it. But, if you can't see the risk here, I don't know what to tell you.

Wha?? Yes he was iffy after the concussion, but prior to that? He looked fantastic with the Ducks. Even with the Pens he managed to look decent while babysitting that boat anchor Scuderi. There is literally zero reason to believe that he won't be able to return to pre-concussion form after the offseason rest. He's hardly the first player whose play has looked a bit shaky for a few months after a serious concussion.

Also... wasn't that entire Fowler for JVR thread filled with Leafs fans saying they didn't want or need another LHD? Cause you do realize Despres is an LD who plays right yes?

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Wha?? Yes he was iffy after the concussion, but prior to that? He looked fantastic with the Ducks. Even with the Pens he managed to look decent while babysitting that boat anchor Scuderi. There is literally zero reason to believe that he won't be able to return to pre-concussion form after the offseason rest. He's hardly the first player whose play has looked a bit shaky for a few months after a serious concussion.

I wasn't saying that he has had two consecutive years of poor play and injury issues. I'm saying if he comes in next year and continues to under perform like he did last season then his contract becomes a serious issue. It may not and he may slide in seamlessly and have a great year. I think it's possible that's why I would be interested in him. But, if the Ducks were to wait until next summer to move on Despres and he has more injuries and/or poor play then he is in cap dump territory and a fairly sizeable one. He's a risky player to trade for.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What's a player under contract for another 4 years at big money after 2 years of injury troubles and poor on ice play worth?

Two years of poor play?

What on earth are you talking about?

Despres played excellent for the Ducks after his acquisition and was great for them in the playoffs that spring.

You do realize it was the Ducks that gave him that five-year deal, right?

Are you actually suggesting that they acquired him, he played "poorly" for them, and then they turned around and offered him a five-year contract extension?

You need to just stop this. It's embarrassing.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I know Anaheim is up tight against the cap and there were concerns about Despres recovering from his concussion.

The Leafs could provide some bodies up front to help fill out the roster IF that was something the Ducks have a desire to do.

The Leafs could offer

Leivo (I know most fan bases aren't aware of him but think he can do well for you guys)

Holland (help the centre situation with Thompson out)

Corrado (if you need a 6-7 with Despres leaving)

Leipsic (can likely be a cheap young depth option for Anaheim for the future, has had success in the AHL a few years now)

Are these pieces or any other pieces in our system something that could appeal to Anaheim? Just thought of this as I know you're tight on the cap with some forwards to add, Rackell and Lindholm to re-sign etc.

IF not, then that is cool. Just thought this could be a classic buy-low scenario due to cap situation and Despres's concussion.

My personal 2 cents is that Leivo is the prize here, I think he'd fit in really well with Anaheim. He is great along the boards, has a good stick, doesn't lose board battles that often and has a great shot.

He was one of our top forwards in the AHL playoffs. Babcock had wanted him to work hard this summer on his fitness and the team ultimately signed him to a 1-way contract which was 2 years in length, I think it's a sign he's doing some great work.

Obviously you'd require 2-3 pieces or maybe a pick coming back the other way.

Thanks

Leivo, corrado and Holland dont have much value.

I also don't see Despres having much of a spot in the Leafs lineup, so I wouldn't move leipsic for him.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Scratch Holland altogether.

The Ducks already gave up on him a few years ago and he's done nothing since for them to change their minds.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
It would be so wonderful to click on one of these trade threads once in a while and see an actual intelligent conversation. Instead of bashing other peoples proposals why not build off it? Make a counter offer, list some players you would have interest in from the other organization, its not that hard really. Imagine how little we would see real trades if GMs in the league operated in such a manner. I don't imagine many deals are made after on proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad