Value of: Despres to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know Anaheim is up tight against the cap and there were concerns about Despres recovering from his concussion.

The Leafs could provide some bodies up front to help fill out the roster IF that was something the Ducks have a desire to do.

The Leafs could offer

Leivo (I know most fan bases aren't aware of him but think he can do well for you guys)

Holland (help the centre situation with Thompson out)

Corrado (if you need a 6-7 with Despres leaving)

Leipsic (can likely be a cheap young depth option for Anaheim for the future, has had success in the AHL a few years now)

Are these pieces or any other pieces in our system something that could appeal to Anaheim? Just thought of this as I know you're tight on the cap with some forwards to add, Rackell and Lindholm to re-sign etc.

IF not, then that is cool. Just thought this could be a classic buy-low scenario due to cap situation and Despres's concussion.

My personal 2 cents is that Leivo is the prize here, I think he'd fit in really well with Anaheim. He is great along the boards, has a good stick, doesn't lose board battles that often and has a great shot.

He was one of our top forwards in the AHL playoffs. Babcock had wanted him to work hard this summer on his fitness and the team ultimately signed him to a 1-way contract which was 2 years in length, I think it's a sign he's doing some great work.

Obviously you'd require 2-3 pieces or maybe a pick coming back the other way.

Thanks

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
There'd have to be another forward coming back w/ Leivo. Likely not Holland or Leipsic.

And no. Don't need Corrado. Lol

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
nothing really that great there. ducks probably pass if those are the only pieces on te table

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There'd have to be another forward coming back w/ Leivo. Likely not Holland or Leipsic.

And no. Don't need Corrado. Lol

I think Despres to the Leafs, Makes more sense then Fowler. He would fill more of a need for them.

nothing really that great there. ducks probably pass if those are the only pieces on te table

I put a few on the table to get the discussion going but I'm open to adding others. Any suggestions?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
My personal 2 cents is that Leivo is the prize here, I think he'd fit in really well with Anaheim. He is great along the boards, has a good stick, doesn't lose board battles that often and has a great shot.

Leivo is 23 and he's failed to crack the Leafs roster when they are the worst team in the NHL.

Seems odd to then dangle him as the centre piece of a trade for an NHL talent and characterize him as a "prize."

How would he crack the Ducks when he couldn't even crack the Leafs?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Here's a bunch of stuff we don't want. Please?

Untrue, the OP didn't mention a single piece that doesn't have a chance to be a long time NHL'er or that isn't ready, we just have a logjam of the same kind of player. He also said that there would like be adds from the leafs side. Not sure why people feel the need to come into these threads to throw stones for no reason, unless someone is tampering with their corn flakes

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Untrue, the OP didn't mention a single piece that doesn't have a chance to be a long time NHL'er or that isn't ready, we just have a logjam of the same kind of player. He also said that there would like be adds from the leafs side. Not sure why people feel the need to come into these threads to throw stones for no reason, unless someone is tampering with their corn flakes

As already stated, Leivo is 23 and has failed to crack the roster of the worst team in the NHL.

Corrado has already been waived by one NHL team and, again, couldn't crack the roster of the worst team in the NHL.

So while you might characterize these as players on the verge of "long time" NHL careers, you need to forgive the skepticism of posters that are a little bit more realistic about the realities of these players.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Leivo is 23 and he's failed to crack the Leafs roster when they are the worst team in the NHL.

Seems odd to then dangle him as the centre piece of a trade for an NHL talent and characterize him as a "prize."

Leivo is a former late round pick who has developed well on a long path, he's still a prospect for all intents and purposes. Had an excellent AHL year and a good showing in his NHL call up. Still has upside, and has all of a sudden developed a dangerous wrist shot. He just got a new contract from a regime that didn't draft him that's sitting on a top 5 farm system in the NHL that is very deep, so contracts are valuable

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Leivo is a former late round pick who has developed well on a long path, he's still a prospect for all intents and purposes. Had an excellent AHL year and a good showing in his NHL call up. Still has upside, and has all of a sudden developed a dangerous wrist shot. He just got a new contract from a regime that didn't draft him that's sitting on a top 5 farm system in the NHL

Cool, if that's your take on him, you should hang on to him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

As already stated, Leivo is 23 and has failed to crack the roster of the worst team in the NHL.

Corrado has already been waived by one NHL team and, again, couldn't crack the roster of the worst team in the NHL.

So while you might characterize these as players on the verge of "long time" NHL careers, you need to forgive the skepticism of posters that are a little bit more realistic about the realities of these players.

Should have been on the roster last year in all honesty, and then they had to send him down because he kept scoring goals and was screwing the tank up.

However I DID say that I am open to adding other names to the discussion and that I put out a few to get the discussion going, but of course that gets overlooked because people don't like to read on HF.

It's the dog days of summer...Despres makes a lot more sense as a trade discussion then Fowler/Lindholm etc.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Cool, if that's your take on him, you should hang on to him.

Also, considering he was taken 86th overall, I guess that would be a very very very late first round pick.

I think we should hang on to him, but again we have lots of depth for bottom nine wing prospects.

If you want to re-read my post, you'll notice that the word "first" is not between the words "late" and "round"

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
All of these competent, valuable, yummy players that keep showing up in proposal after proposal. It's almost like Toronto fans are trying to do us a favor, how nice.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah, I just noticed that. He was a third rounder.

ya, he was a project when we drafted him and it took a while, he wouldn't have gotten that contract if it were time to cut bait on him. Not saying he's a guarantee but a big body who passes well, cycles well and has an NHL release is intriguing. His conditioning wasn't great last year but he seems to have convinced our brass that its improving

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
All of these competent, valuable, yummy players that keep showing up in proposal after proposal. It's almost like Toronto fans are trying to do us a favor, how nice.

Soshnikov? I'm throwing out names to actually have a conversation about this.

ya, he was a project when we drafted him and it took a while, he wouldn't have gotten that contract if it were time to cut bait on him. Not saying he's a guarantee but a big body who passes well, cycles well and has an NHL release is intriguing. His conditioning wasn't great last year but he seems to have convinced our brass that its improving

I like him a lot since the time we drafted him. Great AHL playoffs. He's ready and he has all the tools you'd want.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Despres is coming off a season of injuries and poor play. If that continues into next season he quickly becomes a negative value contract and he's signed for 5 seasons.

The pieces in the OP aren't very valuable. That's kind of the point, neither is Despres.

For the Ducks the goal of this move would be to ship him out for as much as they can squeeze before his value turns anymore to the south and they can't move him. They have lots of young defenders and a few proven defenders better then Despres already.

All the players in the OP still have NHL upside. But, are of the bubble player variety currently.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

It's August and for people that want to talk hockey its time to make convo, basically the point of any thread on this board with the prefix "proposal" or "value of"

Leafs have tremendous prospect depth of the same type, and the OP believed that Depres is a bigger need than one of our 5-6 wing prospects who are fighting for a couple of spots. In reality, Anaheim and Toronto are favourite trade partners of eachother. Anaheim has defense depth and Toronto has young forward depth....why shouldn't he propose a swap?

Anyway, I hope they leave your corn flakes alone tomorrow man

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Soshnikov? I'm throwing out names to actually have a conversation about this.

I like him a lot since the time we drafted him. Great AHL playoffs. He's ready and he has all the tools you'd want.

Totally agree, I would really like to see what Leivo can do this year on the leafs, he didn't look out of place in the NHL last year. If there was a knock, it was that he's a little slow, but being in better shape should help that

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Despres has five more years on his contract at $3,700,000/year missed half the year with a concussion and didn't look like himself once he returned.
There is too much uncertainty to offer even one of the prospects that were suggested.
Pass.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Despres to Toronto sounds interesting. If I were the Ducks, I'd ask for young players who can fill their NHL forward depth.

Leivo + Lindberg?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Totally agree, I would really like to see what Leivo can do this year on the leafs, he didn't look out of place in the NHL last year. If there was a knock, it was that he's a little slow, but being in better shape should help that

He's average speed, he has good agility though, can make tight turns and such, good in tight spaces.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's average speed, he has good agility though, can make tight turns and such, good in tight spaces.

Those last couple of goals he scored in the NHL last year were tantalizing off the rush, I like that he can play both sides and is a bigger body too. I think the leafs could cause themselves some headaches if all of Nylander, Marner, Brown, Johnson, Timashov, Bracco, Leipsic etc make it, not that everyone has to be a giant but its good to have a few

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad