Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I recall not too long ago Percy was the rage and looked so good in his NHL debut ... and if they own up to it some will likely admit they were in the group that thought he was NHL ready.

Patience Leaf Nation.

That's true, they do play with adrenaline for a little. When they normalize you can tell, but, sometimes you can just tell. I think Dermott is an NHLer. Top what, I have no idea.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's true, they do play with adrenaline for a little. When they normalize you can tell, but, sometimes you can just tell. I think Dermott is an NHLer. Top what, I have no idea.

I agree. I can't explain it or quantify it but ... I can just tell. And it makes me happy. :)

Reactions: New Liskeard

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
right and we are just magically going to get rid of Carrick or Polak so we meet the roster limit right? Sorry it doesn't work like that. As long as we have 24 bodies on our roster the person who can by pass waivers will be going down. What don't people understand about this concept?

The only way Dermott stays up is if Gauthier goes down.

what are you even arguing? why don't you want dermott to play?

Reactions: weems

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Sounds like he will be down when Z is back
“He certainly has played well over the last two games but we’ve got seven defencemen here right now and we’ve got one of (our) mainstay top-four is injured so we’ll take this a game at a time, see how things transpire,” Lamoriello said. (Second-year D-man Nikita Zaitsev has been on injured reserve since mid-December due to broken foot.) “Our coaching staff will make the decision about who plays, but he’s got a bright future.”

“It’s better a player coming up too late than too soon, and getting him as much positive experience he possibly can whenever he does come up,” Lamoriello said. “And I think that certainly over the last two nights, he’s gotten quality ice time and he’s handled it extremely well.”

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Going to be a fun day around here when that happens
It's always fun around these parts!
happy_rainbow_sunshine_time_by_hyperme-d46betk.gif

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I recall not too long ago Percy was the rage and looked so good in his NHL debut ... and if they own up to it some will likely admit they were in the group that thought he was NHL ready.

Patience Leaf Nation.

Speaking of Percy, 12th in AHL scoring for d-men (9 off overall lead).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Patience Leaf Nation.

here is some sound advice

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

it's called playoff depth

folks want nhl capable players ready in the ahl to fill in?

well this is how it works, by sending down guys who don't need waivers.

Reactions: francis246

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Rielly-Liljegren
Dermott-Zaitsev

Looks like a damn good top-4 going forward.

Lily's got great offensive iq aswell as a nice shot, but isn't a top pairing guy for me.
A #3-4 pp guy like Shattenkirk, Faulk or prime Yandle.
If he proves me wrong then that's great for both my expectations, aswell as the teams success.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lily's got great offensive iq aswell as a nice shot, but isn't a top pairing guy for me.
A #3-4 pp guy like Shattenkirk, Faulk or prime Yandle.
If he proves me wrong then that's great for both my expectations, aswell as the teams success.

I'm glad its going to be great for you! He will prove you wrong. He's pretty good right now.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So the conversation with Babs and Dermott goes like this when he gets sent back to the Marlies.

"You aren't a right handed shot". Polly is a gud pro, right shot.

Go back to the Marlies and play right.

"But I'm a left shot coach"!

Oh i know!

Babcock is wearing thin on me!!!

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I really don't see the point of comparing Dermott with the busts of yore. He has been consistently good this year, it hasn't just been these 2 games. From training camp to his time in the AHL and now in the NHL, he hasn't disappointed. He looked downright dominant in the two games prior to the call up. This was the game right before he got called up.

There is a dynamism to his game that Percy never had.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hopefully in the next couple games he forces Babcocks hand and makes him stay in the lineup.

Just hoping he doesn’t become a victim of waiver eligibility and gets sent down as a result

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I do want dermott to play. I think he's amazing

But when Zaitsev gets back we will have 24 players. The roster limit is 23. Someone has to do down. I'm not a fan of burning assets for free, both Carrick and Polak will get claimed on waivers. They are RHD and can play.

The only two players we can send down without waivers is either Dermott or Gauthier. I don't want Dermott up here if he's gonna be the 8th defensemen. Send him down to let him play.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Leafs are really stupid for sitting Dermott tonight. I have been very impressed with his play and he himself hasn't cost the Leafs any game. Funny that they say Borgman, Carrick and Dermott will play on a rotating basis. But where is Polak. What exactly do we need Polak's game tonight for?? Ottawa has no size!!!! Babcock is starting to wear thin on me. Dermott and Kapanen should be in this lineup everyday for Martin and Polak.

Reactions: weems

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The Leafs are really stupid for sitting Dermott tonight. I have been very impressed with his play and he himself hasn't cost the Leafs any game. Funny that they say Borgman, Carrick and Dermott will play on a rotating basis. But where is Polak. What exactly do we need Polak's game tonight for?? Ottawa has no size!!!! Babcock is starting to wear thin on me. Dermott and Kapanen should be in this lineup everyday for Martin and Polak.

Where is Dermott going next year? No Where, we have this kid under control for the next 4 years. Polak is gone after this season and moves will be made to get him a roster spot. Obviously we all want him to play but we have 8 NHL defenseman right now. He's in a shit position, but that's the NHL. Borgman is pretty good too. Once they can move a dman, Dermott will likely draw in consistently

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Reasons Polak plays ...
  • Gardiner is dumpster fire defensively
  • Carrick is bad defensively
  • Borgman is not ready to be defensively responsible at the NHL level
  • Dermott is not ready to be defensively responsible at the NHL level
  • Babcock has lifted some of Riellys very heavy defensive responsibilities this season

Reactions: francis246

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Where is Dermott going next year? No Where, we have this kid under control for the next 4 years. Polak is gone after this season and moves will be made to get him a roster spot. Obviously we all want him to play but we have 8 NHL defenseman right now. He's in a **** position, but that's the NHL. Borgman is pretty good too. Once they can move a dman, Dermott will likely draw in consistently

Oh yes your right my bad....the same way the Leaf dumped players to make spots for Kapanen, Leivo and Soshnikov. Why didn't I think of that, my mistake.

Your right they came through with the forwards which means they will with the D and not waste another year of their maturing experience in the minors even though they are NHL ready.

Kapanen is playing regularly this year on the third line where he belonged last year. Your right we need to be patient. o_O

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Oh yes your right my bad....the same way the Leaf dumped players to make spots for Kapanen, Leivo and Soshnikov. Why didn't I think of that, my mistake.

Your right they came through with the forwards which means they will with the D and not waste another year of their maturing experience in the minors even though they are NHL ready.

Kapanen is playing regularly this year on the third line where he belonged last year. Your right we need to be patient. o_O

which contract were we magically going dump to give Kapanen a spot. The leafs messed up by signing Martin it's no secret. You really don't think they've tried to make room for these guys?

What the hell do you want them to do. We only have 23 spots, the teams in the league don't trade often so we have to wait for spots to open up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad