Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree! Although I can't see them moving Polak (important for PK and vet guy and also a RHD. Carrick is someone I think they can move for a pick.)

I do think Dermott if he emerges may make gardiner expendable next year.
I do agree with you. I just used polak as the example because when we did trade him people were shocked at what we got for him.
I think Carrick would be the first choice to move if we are going that route in the D men

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I agree provided there is a roster spot. But there isn't. To keep Dermott going when Zaitsev gets back means we have to move someone via trade or to the minors. If we put any of our defenseman currently with the team I'm 95% confident all will get claimed.

Dermott is waiver ineligible so you put him down till a roster spot frees up.

How good does the player have to be until this doesn't work anymore though? If Dermott is our 3rd or 4th best defenceman, are you still going to prioritize protecting the assets of Polak or Carrick(who don't actually have to be waived, they can be traded)?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I do agree with you. I just used polak as the example because when we did trade him people were shocked at what we got for him.
I think Carrick would be the first choice to move if we are going that route in the D men
I'll drive Carrick to the airport. Anything we get for him is a bonus, he has no future here IMO.

Reactions: saltming

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
And muscle!
The best quote on Dermott was when Lou likened him to Rafalski in terms of strength and board play
Our boy's off to a good start. Hopefully he and Liljegren are not just in our top four (because it's weak right now) in a few years but part of a "legitimate" league recognized top 4.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Kind of surprised people think Dermott is undersized...he's as big as or bigger than Subban, Doughty, Rielly, Keith, Ekman Larson just to name a few...I'm not comparing him to them skill-wise but it is an indicator that he is more than big enough...

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How good does the player have to be until this doesn't work anymore though? If Dermott is our 3rd or 4th best defenceman, are you still going to prioritize protecting the assets of Polak or Carrick(who don't actually have to be waived, they can be traded)?

It takes days for trades to be worked out, if one is worked out by the time that zaitsev is back then fine. But this isn't NHL 18, deals aren't just consummated out of thin air. You have to adhere to the roster limits. Which means Dermott will go down. The issue we have now is good! You can never have too much depth!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Were any of you around HF when Schenn was drafted?

Watching him vs. NHLers you knew he wasn't special.

I think we all have seen enough talent to say that Dermott is a big step forward from the Schenn fan emotion.

Last edited:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Dermott was the best D last night..among reilly (prior to his horrid giveaway) and hainsey.

I draw a comparision to Gauthier. Randomly called up, when Moore was finally coming around. Now we see Gauthier and Dermott both belong. That is crystal clear.

So now a trade(s) needs to occur. We need to cut Carrick, Gardiner has been replaced by Dermott and Moore by Goat. Question is what do we go for?

Ive long thought we are waiting to get (try) for doughty in july. Igor Oz has agreed to contract in principle. But we cannot say he makes the NHL for sure. Jvr is having another career year, Bozak is dragging that line down. So I feel a center is in order. But who, and who do we give

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Our boy's off to a good start. Hopefully he and Liljegren are not just in our top four (because it's weak right now) in a few years but part of a "legitimate" league recognized top 4.
I am leaning towards the ligit side. Lily at 18 is very impressive and I can see him hitting 210lbs pretty easy. Plus the way we are developing these kids gives me hope.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I am leaning towards the ligit side. Lily at 18 is very impressive and I can see him hitting 210lbs pretty easy. Plus the way we are developing these kids gives me hope.

Timmy looked real good beside Dahlin for sure. Wonder the pairs we go with. Saying Dermott and Borgman stay...we have a log jam with the signing of Igor Oz. We still have Polak, Jake and Connor. So to fit Timmy next year Polak is simply not signed but i really think we are going to nab a top 4 D before the deadline and or run a drew doughty. What a nice problem.

Question is when. Odd that the callup Goat when Moore finally started looking decent. Marty showed Babcock he is completely useless. Dermott has shown they goofed by sending him down on his handedness. Thas the first mistake ive seen our management make. We keep hearing "if they make us better they play." Apparently not in this case.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Gardiner go finally. Id say leo too but he is too good on the PK. Bozak is dragging Marners line down. Id love to get patches but numbers wise JVR is better. The only plus on patches is he is under control contract wise.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Timmy looked real good beside Dahlin for sure. Wonder the pairs we go with. Saying Dermott and Borgman stay...we have a log jam with the signing of Igor Oz. We still have Polak, Jake and Connor. So to fit Timmy next year Polak is simply not signed but i really think we are going to nab a top 4 D before the deadline and or run a drew doughty. What a nice problem.

Question is when. Odd that the callup Goat when Moore finally started looking decent. Marty showed Babcock he is completely useless. Dermott has shown they goofed by sending him down on his handedness. Thas the first mistake ive seen our management make. We keep hearing "if they make us better they play." Apparently not in this case.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Gardiner go finally. Id say leo too but he is too good on the PK. Bozak is dragging Marners line down. Id love to get patches but numbers wise JVR is better. The only plus on patches is he is under control contract wise.
I think Tim is another year away. If he keeps up his play with the Marlies this year and gets better next year he will be knocking at the door like Dermott did. Maybe bring him up for a playoff run next year if he's really burning down the ahl? Ozgi, if signed doesn't project as a top 4 but could turn out to be a polak with puck skills and a bazooka.
I agree that Jake is likely out if Dermott shows consistency. Maybe Gardiner is part of a piece to solve the Bozak issue or to get a power forward and we move wee Willy to centre? Lots of options going now. Kind of nice to have them.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
One more rotation I guess, to go with the others we've seen so far this season. The best will emerge, just a matter of patience/time.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Kind of surprised people think Dermott is undersized...he's as big as or bigger than Subban, Doughty, Rielly, Keith, Ekman Larson just to name a few...I'm not comparing him to them skill-wise but it is an indicator that he is more than big enough...
He's not tall so maybe thats what people are looking at. He's always had weight on his side though. 210 lbs isnt small at all. I think we're all used to seeing the hulking 6'4 dman, so when a guy is 6'1 or so they look small. Fact is that's just not the NHL anymore. Forward or defense, you need to have skating ability and the IQ. Dermott is a perfect example of the new era of player. He's a bull too, always has been. We all see Borgman lay people out, Dermott is the same size. Size will not be an issue for Dermott, at all. The difference for him beween being a 2nd pairing D or a first pairing D is the ability to move the puck and playing a sound positional game.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Ideally this season:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Dermott
Borgman Zaitsev
Carrick Polak

Dermott and Borgman need to learn how to PK the rest of the season before the playoffs.

Re-evaluate in the offs-season.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
One more rotation I guess, to go with the others we've seen so far this season. The best will emerge, just a matter of patience/time.

The only qualm I have with that is, the best was always Dermott, Fehr (vs Moore) and likely guys like Kapanen and perhaps Johnsson, Leivo as well. The only person stunting them was Babcock himself...possibly management as well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The only qualm I have with that is, the best was always Dermott, Fehr (vs Moore) and likely guys like Kapanen and perhaps Johnsson, Leivo as well. The only person stunting them was Babcock himself...possibly management as well.

I imagine it's the letting prospects overripen and giving themselves as much time as they can/need when making decisions (and maybe corresponding moves/deals). I'd agree with Dermott - but maybe he needed the time on the right side since there's more of a logjam on the left. Moore/Fehr would just be placeholders for Gauthier (or Aaltonen). Kapanen and Leivo have been in the lineup for spells. Hopeful to see Johnsson.

I just recall Babcock's quote which was roughly that the right players always make it, it just doesn't necessarily happen right away all the time. Think we're starting to see some of them emerge, slowly but surely.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It's just insane the talent in the system+on the team. This team has dynastic potential. Assuming we can find a Hainsey replacement, picture this;

Dermott - Liljegren -> Dermott is steady, lets Liljegren play his offence and teaches him gap control and I think Liljegren has legitimate high end upside (60-70 points, similar to Burns offensive upside but more stylish). Mobile unit.

Rielly - Hainsey/Hainsey replacement -> Primary or secondary minute crunching pairing. Seen how well it works with 23 year old Rielly. Imagine a 25 year old Rielly.

Borgman - Zaitsev -> Zaitsev being more mobile and offensively talented. Good size and grit bottom pairing and allows for the team to roll a decent bottom pairing that isn't dead weight. Add this mobile, offensively talented blue line to Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen and JVR (if he's signed to a decent cap hit)? We're going to be stupid good.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ideally this season:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Dermott
Borgman Zaitsev
Carrick Polak

Dermott and Borgman need to learn how to PK the rest of the season before the playoffs.

Re-evaluate in the offs-season.

sure, it's totally fair to ask two rookies to learn how to play on the PK and be GOOD at it in less than 4 months. Yeah that sounds reasonable....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad