Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's just insane the talent in the system+on the team. This team has dynastic potential. Assuming we can find a Hainsey replacement, picture this;

Dermott - Liljegren -> Dermott is steady, lets Liljegren play his offence and teaches him gap control and I think Liljegren has legitimate high end upside (60-70 points, similar to Burns offensive upside but more stylish). Mobile unit.

Rielly - Hainsey/Hainsey replacement -> Primary or secondary minute crunching pairing. Seen how well it works with 23 year old Rielly. Imagine a 25 year old Rielly.

Borgman - Zaitsev -> Zaitsev being more mobile and offensively talented. Good size and grit bottom pairing and allows for the team to roll a decent bottom pairing that isn't dead weight. Add this mobile, offensively talented blue line to Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen and JVR (if he's signed to a decent cap hit)? We're going to be stupid good.
our talent is only going to go as far as it gets utilized. if we continue to ignore our strengths to play to our weaknesses, it won't matter what our talent level is

Reactions: weems

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
sure, it's totally fair to ask two rookies to learn how to play on the PK and be GOOD at it in less than 4 months. Yeah that sounds reasonable....
The need to learn sometime. I didn't say they needed to be good right away. They need reps.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Dermott already knows how to PK and be good at it. it won't take him long to be better than Polak

Playing the PK at the AHL and Junior level is not the same as the NHL level first of all. Secondly they need to learn how to play solid defense 5 on 5 before you add any special teams to them. It's like you guys honestly want to see these guys fail.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Playing the PK at the AHL and Junior level is not the same as the NHL level first of all. Secondly they need to learn how to play solid defense 5 on 5 before you add any special teams to them. It's like you guys honestly want to see these guys fail.
true, nobody's saying they are already going to be perfect at it. but it is something I want Dermott to learn, and Polak isn't good enough to warrant keeping a spot over him

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
true, nobody's saying they are already going to be perfect at it. but it is something I want Dermott to learn, and Polak isn't good enough to warrant keeping a spot over him

i agree, but we gotta ease him in! He's only played 2 NHL games. He's no where ready to play on the PK. Think about it, can we honestly expect dermott to handle guys like Ovechkin, Kucherov, Stamkos etc at this point? No, we don't want to kill his confidence.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i agree, but we gotta ease him in! He's only played 2 NHL games. He's no where ready to play on the PK. Think about it, can we honestly expect dermott to handle guys like Ovechkin, Kucherov, Stamkos etc at this point? No, we don't want to kill his confidence.
that's fair. he has to get a chance eventually, but not quite yet. I'd give him at least 20 games before trying him on the PK

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I just recall Babcock's quote which was roughly that the right players always make it, it just doesn't necessarily happen right away all the time. Think we're starting to see some of them emerge, slowly but surely.

That's what I was alluding to as well (the quote). I just think Babcock in practice is a hypocrite with that statement, particularly with lineup decisions and game management decisions. It's ok if you hold out on the belief we're over-ripening prospects- certainly could be argued for Dermott. But I don't see the rationale for certain players on the roster, right now.

Of course, I'm projecting what I feel is best versus what Babcock thinks/says- and I'm not here to argue I'm a world class coach or anything.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's what I was alluding to as well (the quote). I just think Babcock in practice is a hypocrite with that statement, particularly with lineup decisions and game management decisions. It's ok if you hold out on the belief we're over-ripening prospects- certainly could be argued for Dermott. But I don't see the rationale for certain players on the roster, right now.

Of course, I'm projecting what I feel is best versus what Babcock thinks/says- and I'm not here to argue I'm a world class coach or anything.
All this is true but the present regime also preaches patience.
Asset management is important too. If a player plays his way onto the team then a space will be made for him.... as soon as feasibly possible.
Why throw assets away?

Reactions: Buds17

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
sure, it's totally fair to ask two rookies to learn how to play on the PK and be GOOD at it in less than 4 months. Yeah that sounds reasonable....
Dermott was brought up on the Marlies who tries to emulate the general idea of Leafs systems for easy transition to the main club, I doubt it would take more than a month for him to get to a good pking ability.

Borgman is from the SHL and I'm not sure if he played PK over there so can't say how long he'd take

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
that's so strange. how does not playing the pk for 20gms help out his pk debut?
It doesn't. But if the idea is to ease him into the league and ensure he's comfortable playing in the nhl before expecting him to kill penalties, 20 games is a good amount of time to get used to the pace of the nhl

Reactions: francis246

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It doesn't. But if the idea is to ease him into the league and ensure he's comfortable playing in the nhl before expecting him to kill penalties, 20 games is a good amount of time to get used to the pace of the nhl

The PK is probably easier than 5on5 to get used to to be honest. It's a controlled environment with no odd-man rushes off quick turnovers. You know exactly where you're supposed to be and what to expect. On top of that you can ice the puck all you want if you're pressured.

The only question is whether he's strong enough to push a guy off a puck to get possession.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Polak is in the top three worst defencemen in the NHL. Period. Play Dermott on the right side, on the left side, on his head FFS he will be better. Bench Polak and play him.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
When Zaitsev comes back, Dermott should have a permanent spot on the second pairing. I think moving Zaitsev to the third pairing will help as he has struggled this year and will not allow both rookies to have a vet next to them and allow us to use all three pairings.

Reactions: weems

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The PK is probably easier than 5on5 to get used to to be honest. It's a controlled environment with no odd-man rushes off quick turnovers. You know exactly where you're supposed to be and what to expect. On top of that you can ice the puck all you want if you're pressured.

The only question is whether he's strong enough to push a guy off a puck to get possession.

the PK is easier? Not a chance... how is playing down a man and having to be defensively responsible for more space easier?

so after two games you think Dermott is ready to block stamkos or ovechkin one timers?

Look I'm not saying don't play him on the PK, but you need to have a specific mentality to play the PK. I think Dermott is gonna be more of an offensive minded guy. If anything I see Borgman getting PK minutes before Dermott.

Playing defense at the NHL level is 1000x harder than forward, chill out a lot of you have un reasonable expectations for him after 2 games.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
When Zaitsev comes back, Dermott should have a permanent spot on the second pairing. I think moving Zaitsev to the third pairing will help as he has struggled this year and will not allow both rookies to have a vet next to them and allow us to use all three pairings.

right and we are just magically going to get rid of Carrick or Polak so we meet the roster limit right? Sorry it doesn't work like that. As long as we have 24 bodies on our roster the person who can by pass waivers will be going down. What don't people understand about this concept?

The only way Dermott stays up is if Gauthier goes down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad