Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BarbaraAlphanse

i dont think the rangers have a top line or a 3rd line...we have essentially 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line.

Last year when Kreider went down, AV went to 2 scoring lines, a useless line, and a shut down line.

I imagine he does something similar until Stepan returns.

I could be wrong. I like how he at least acknowledges that balance is the strength of this team... at least when there are no significant injuries. Wish he wouldn't deviate from that formula but we'll see.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Well, Stepan is a tough SOB. He proved that with the jaw in the playoffs.

My concern is, this isn't a hand or arm, or jaw. Its a leg. So it impacts his movement.

Its not a dark outlook, its being realistic.

Kreider - Hayes - St. Louis
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Malone - Brassard - Zuccarello
Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak

I'd like to try something like that, and just roll 4 lines evenly.

These are pretty much the exact lines I would go with. Three relatively balanced lines and a 4th line that can hold its own. It's basically Hayes replacing Stepan in the short term, and Hayes and Kreider seem to have some chemistry. Miller and Hagelin look good together and Hagelin and Nash were good linemates in the past. Obviously keep Brass and Zucc together on a line, but could maybe replace Malone with Stempniak and have Glass on the 4th line.

BarbaraAlphanse

Nonetheless, AV meticulously manages his matchups and zone starts. The line getting the toughest minutes is the 1st line.

Which is a big reason why it seems like there isn't a true #1 line. He is good at optimizing the talent of his lines to match up well.. therefore a lower line could actually look just as good as a better line if they were put in a beneficial situation.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm afraid that the people here that want Hayes in the starting line up... especially those who have him pencilled in somewhere on the first two lines... will be the first to turn on him when they realize he isn't ready.

Putting him in the starting line up now is not right for the organization nor for him.

For his sake, I hope he gets at least half a season in the AHL to learn the pace of the game and what it takes to succeed in this league. There's also something to be learned that you can't just leave an organization and get things handed on a platter for you.

All of our prospects had their work cut out for them to crack the roster and stick. It could be potentially be hazardous to his ethic moving forward if he comes in and is immediately handed starting 3 line minutes (which he actually deserves to be able to become the effective player we all want him to be).

Lindberg has come in the right way, done his dues, and is playing well this pre-season. If its even anywhere remotely close to being equal... i'd elect Lindberg 10x out of 10.

What about the Vets? Moore, Lombardi?

Hayes has much to learn and it wouldn't be right to hand him the spot.

My $.02.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Which is a big reason why it seems like there isn't a true #1 line. He is good at optimizing the talent of his lines to match up well.. therefore a lower line could actually look just as good as a better line if they were put in a beneficial situation.
This is all true, but I think it just supports what I was saying.

If you have 3 scoring lines, and one of them gets the easiest matchups/zonestarts/TOI of the 3, over the course of the season, that would make it the 3rd line, no? Idk, call it Line C, or whatever, it is what it is.

BarbaraAlphanse

This is all true, but I think it just supports what I was saying.

If you have 3 scoring lines, and one of them gets the easiest matchups/zonestarts/TOI of the 3, over the course of the season, that would make it the 3rd line, no? Idk, call it Line C, or whatever, it is what it is.

I was agreeing with you. But providing an explanation as to why that is how it seems.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I assume because he has looked somewhat decent with Kreider... and also a BC connection of chemistry.

Miller outplayed Hayes the other night by quite a bit. The kid looks better than he ever has. I have never been high on Miller but he looks different this year. I don't think Hayes gets the spot with Kreider simply because of a "BC" connection when Miller is so much more deserving of the spot.

BarbaraAlphanse

Miller outplayed Hayes the other night by quite a bit. The kid looks better than he ever has. I have never been high on Miller but he looks different this year. I don't think Hayes gets the spot with Kreider simply because of a "BC" connection when Miller is so much more deserving of the spot.

I've been one of Miller's biggest supporters. Thought this was gonna be his break out year.

Think he deserved to play between MSL and Hags even before Stepan got hurt.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm afraid that the people here that want Hayes in the starting line up... especially those who have him pencilled in somewhere on the first two lines... will be the first to turn on him when they realize he isn't ready.

Putting him in the starting line up now is not right for the organization nor for him.

For his sake, I hope he gets at least half a season in the AHL to learn the pace of the game and what it takes to succeed in this league. There's also something to be learned that you can't just leave an organization and get things handed on a platter for you.

All of our prospects had their work cut out for them to crack the roster and stick. It could be potentially be hazardous to his ethic moving forward if he comes in and is immediately handed starting 3 line minutes (which he actually deserves to be able to become the effective player we all want him to be).

Lindberg has come in the right way, done his dues, and is playing well this pre-season. If its even anywhere remotely close to being equal... i'd elect Lindberg 10x out of 10.

My $.02.

Rust, I love ya brother, but when it comes to Hayes, you are starting to sound suspiciously like one of those HF posters who's chosen a position and is going to back it to the death no matter what.

We get it - you have seasons at BC and you've seen him a ton in person. But what we've seen and heard since he got here doesn't jibe with the gloom and doom you've been predicting. The kid impressed in TC, in the scrimmage and then again during the preseason game (which we all saw). It sounds like he might also have played well in the rookie game (although reports have been, well, sparse). He made the first cut. He has undeniable talent - and physical gifts that darn near no one else on the roster has. He also plays a position where we now have a desperate need.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to step in and take over as our 1C. I'm not even saying he's a lock to break camp with the team. But he's got an awful good opportunity that is only getting better - and so far, he's been making the most of it.

Can you stop banging the drum - at least until he does something to warrant being sent down...? :)

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

My $.02.

If Hayes plays well enough to straight up beat out/get noticed over his competition and the staff deems him a useful player to the lineup, I don't see the problem with keeping him up. Of course he has mountains to learn, but playing in the NHL from the get-go might (and I stress "might") be a good route for him, especially with the vets on this team.

That said, I don't see Hayes starting the season with the Rangers. McDonagh was ~22 when he was out of college? Granted there wasn't a ton of hype surrounding him and different positions/team needs/situations/whatever else, but McD spent half a season in the AHL before being brought up to the Rangers in January. 38 games in the AHL, 40 in the NHL..McD was playing ~20+ minutes a night about 3 weeks in to his NHL career.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I've been one of Miller's biggest supporters. Thought this was gonna be his break out year.

Think he deserved to play between MSL and Hags even before Stepan got hurt.

I don't he should have had the spot then. I don't think think he should get the spot now. I think Moore is the best person for that 2C spot. I just think if for some reason it comes down to Miller/Hayes that it should be Miller no contest.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'd go

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Miller-St. Louis
Hagelin-Moore-Stempniak
Malone-Lombardi/Lindberg-Fast
Glass

I'd be pretty happy with those lines. If Miller can play respectable hockey then we shouldn't really have to worry about missing Stepan too much.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'd be pretty happy with those lines. If Miller can play respectable hockey then we shouldn't really have to worry about missing Stepan too much.

Yeah hopefully. I guess the one thing with that line that might be a problem is their defense, but if AV gives them alot of O-Zone starts maybe it won't be an issue.

Championship*

There was a time when a young Derek Stepan was going to come in an be a center for the Rangers in 2010. He filled his role more than admirably.

Now it's Miller Time.

BarbaraAlphanse

Rust, I love ya brother, but when it comes to Hayes, you are starting to sound suspiciously like one of those HF posters who's chosen a position and is going to back it to the death no matter what.

We get it - you have seasons at BC and you've seen him a ton in person. But what we've seen and heard since he got here doesn't jibe with the gloom and doom you've been predicting. The kid impressed in TC, in the scrimmage and then again during the preseason game (which we all saw). It sounds like he might also have played well in the rookie game (although reports have been, well, sparse). He made the first cut. He has undeniable talent - and physical gifts that darn near no one else on the roster has. He also plays a position where we now have a desperate need.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to step in and take over as our 1C. I'm not even saying he's a lock to break camp with the team. But he's got an awful good opportunity that is only getting better - and so far, he's been making the most of it.

Can you stop banging the drum - at least until he does something to warrant being sent down...? :)

I'll try :( !! For your sake. Definite undeniable talent. I just don't know why I'm not the highest on him.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Agreed Brooklyn :D

Hayes got better as the game went along--It'll be interested to see how he plays in his second game. Still not completely sold on him at center, but I'll leave that up to the experts in the organization.

And let's not forget that injuries are often why players get a chance and then stick in the lineup--McD and Hagelin spring to mind as two players who made the most of another player's misfortune. Oscar Lundberg has by all accounts done extremely well up to this point--I'm excited about seeing him next game and would love to see him make the roster. He's defensively capable, but from all accounts has some offense there as well. I think he's mature enough to start on the 4th line--the way AV plays this lines, chances are he'd get 10-11 minutes a night and hopefully get some points and a little more responsibility. I'd rather take that chance very honestly than hope Lombardi able to withstand the physical play and stilll good enough to play a role in the NHL. But my motto has always been that salvation lies within.

Now all Oscar has to do is make the most of this chance!

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I have a strong feeling that this injury will have us struggling to make the playoffs this season. Step was far and away our best center. Now we look like ass up the middle.

Matchups are gonna be an issue. And even when Step gets rushed back into the lineup, he's gonna be out of sync and out of game shape. I really don't wanna be a downer, but this hurt us bad.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
We can deal with this.. 4-6 weeks.. the 1st game of the regular season is still 2 weeks away, and we only play 8 times during the whole month of October. I see him missing at most 15 regular season games after having to get back into condtion, etc. and that's if it takes a whole 6 weeks to heal.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We can deal with this.. 4-6 weeks.. the 1st game of the regular season is still 2 weeks away, and we only play 8 times during the whole month of October. I see him missing at most 15 regular season games after having to get back into condtion, etc. and that's if it takes a whole 6 weeks to heal.

I never, ever thought I'd be relieved to hear that they only play 8 games in October.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad