Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Could have been much worse indeed.

Hopefully its just 4 weeks. Time for someone to take this opportunity and run with it.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Tough day but we will be fine. Nash will bounce back and Kreids and hags seem set for breakout years

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I could not agree more. Be realistic. It is gonna be Brass as 1c and D.Moore at 2c. Go from there cmon guys!

Miller/Moore are going to be interchangeable on the 2nd and 3rd lines based on chemistry only. Like I said earlier, it will depend on who gels with who, and who benefits the most from who.

AngelicAssassin*

Actually they heal stronger. I broke my hand and i have a bump which the doctor told me is a "calcium deposit". Its extra bone that overheals and strengthens the area

Calcium deposits are not a good thing. If they were there wouldn't be treatments for them. When a bone is broken or damaged the body sends extra calcium through the bloodstream to aid repair of the damaged area. You likely developed a calcium deposit due to a calcium deficiency. Calcium deposits can cause pinching of tendons and nerves, causing pain.

The fact that we are talking about an athlete here means there is less likelihood of calcium deposits as he is active. The problem will arise if this goes on too long as his activity level will be restricted due to the injury.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Well, Stepan is a tough SOB. He proved that with the jaw in the playoffs.

My concern is, this isn't a hand or arm, or jaw. Its a leg. So it impacts his movement.

Its not a dark outlook, its being realistic.

Kreider - Hayes - St. Louis
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Malone - Brassard - Zuccarello
Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak

I'd like to try something like that, and just roll 4 lines evenly.

No, just no. Please stop. Enough with the crap about Hayes being a top-6 player. People think that if his scouting reports say that he's good at this or that, he's a good player right now. He's good for his age, he'll likely be good in the future, but he's not a first liner. And how ridiculous that Brass is on the third line when he's the only decent center we got.

Right now, Brass is our #1, Moore is our #2, Miller is our #3. We'll see if it's Lombardi, Hayes or Lindberg at #4.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
No, just no. Please stop. Enough with the crap about Hayes being a top-6 player. People think that if his scouting reports say that he's good at this or that, he's a good player right now. He's good for his age, he'll likely be good in the future, but he's not a first liner. And how ridiculous that Brass is on the third line when he's the only decent center we got.

Right now, Brass is our #1, Moore is our #2, Miller is our #3. We'll see if it's Lombardi, Hayes or Lindberg at #4.

Not sure why Moore is assuredly ahead of Miller. Miller has played higher in the lineup than more and is definitely a better fit in an offensive role.

SupersonicMonkey*

Don't presume you can tell other what to do, what to think, what to speak of. And don't presume you know how much others know and have seen of these players. Because YOU say something, doesn't make it gospel.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Don't presume you can tell other what to do, what to think, what to speak of. And don't presume you know how much others know and have seen of these players. Because YOU say something, doesn't make it gospel.

praise the loard! I don't think Beacon is presuming anything.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Do people not remember Moore on the third line last year? He's good at many things, but pushing the pace offensively isn't one of them. I'd rather have miller in offensive situations 100/100 times.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Do people not remember Moore on the third line last year? He's good at many things, but pushing the pace offensively isn't one of them. I'd rather have miller in offensive situations 100/100 times.

He's good in spurts but isn't a long term solution (Moore). Hopefully he'll be enough to help fill in for the games Stepan misses

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yakno, this will at least get guys to step up.

Gather around children and let's speak of the tales of Cyborg the First of his kind before he became a cyborg. Aside from Lundqvist, the anchor of this team came about with the injury to Staal's concussion. Both McDonagh and Girardi stepped up. I have no doubt that someone in our center depth will step up considerably more than they would have with a healthy Stepan. Another tough start out the gate but this might be a blessing in disguise later on down the season/road.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not sure why Moore is assuredly ahead of Miller. Miller has played higher in the lineup than more and is definitely a better fit in an offensive role.

Because he will need to start with more sheltered minutes at first, not facing the best opposition, not facing tough situations, mostly offensive zone starts. I would rather lose a couple games than mess around with our top prospect's mind by throwing him to the wolves. Even if he proves to be a top-6 center, the first half a dozen to a dozen games would need to see him eased into the role. Even Lundqvist was eased in when he joined the Rangers. Granted Miller already played a decent amount of NHL hockey, but I wouldn't put him on the top-6 just yet. I would certainly not place Hayes on the first line before he played one second of adult hockey at any level.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yikes. As much as I've wanted more of a prototypical dynamic #1C for a while now (bumping Step down to be a superior 2C or sending him the other way in the trade to acquire said #1), there's no denying that Step was one of the players we could ill afford to lose.

That said, one of the nice things about the depth we have is how many options exist at each position - even if center is perhaps the weakest. I'm very curious to see which of Miller, Hayes and Lindberg can take the opportunity and run. My guess is that we see Miller and Lombardi in the top 9 with Dom Moore getting lots of situational play (defensive zone draws, PK, etc.) If, however, Moore is getting offensive zone starts on the second line or Chris Mueller makes the team over one of the rookies, it will not bode well for the team's performance to start the season, IMO.

I also think that predicting lineups at this point is premature. My guess is that, barring an unlikely winning streak to start the season, AV will be shuffling guys around. In fact, as I think about it, this injury may increase the likelihood that both Miller and Hayes make the team, with one of them playing wing, just so that the team has options at the pivot from game to game, period to period, and even shift to shift.

BarbaraAlphanse

Even with Stepan out... I still think Hayes ends up in the AHL to start the season.

Brassard, Lombardi, Miller, Moore

And then if/when Lombardi gets hurt I figure that Lindberg would get first crack at that roster spot and Hayes would come thereafter.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Well, looks like Hayes and Miller just got much better chances of both making the team out of camp.

Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Kreider Hayes St. Louis
Hagelin Miller Malone
Glass D.Moore Lombardi
Stempniak

Mueller has also looked good so far; he's been a pleasant surprise, to me at least.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Even with Stepan out... I still think Hayes ends up in the AHL to start the season.

Brassard, Lombardi, Miller, Moore

And then if/when Lombardi gets hurt I figure that Lindberg would get first crack at that roster spot and Hayes would come thereafter.

Yep, this would be my assumption. Maybe bump Moore up to the 2nd and have Lombardi on the 4th. If Lombardi isn't handling it, Lindberg is my pick.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Well, looks like Hayes and Miller just got much better chances of both making the team out of camp.

Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Kreider Hayes St. Louis
Hagelin Miller Malone
Glass D.Moore Lombardi
Stempniak

Mueller has also looked good so far; he's been a pleasant surprise, to me at least.

Why? Why is Hayes ahead of Miller? Just curious.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Because he will need to start with more sheltered minutes at first, not facing the best opposition, not facing tough situations, mostly offensive zone starts. I would rather lose a couple games than mess around with our top prospect's mind by throwing him to the wolves. Even if he proves to be a top-6 center, the first half a dozen to a dozen games would need to see him eased into the role. Even Lundqvist was eased in when he joined the Rangers. Granted Miller already played a decent amount of NHL hockey, but I wouldn't put him on the top-6 just yet. I would certainly not place Hayes on the first line before he played one second of adult hockey at any level.

Beacon, you don't think Miller is mentally tough enough to handle the 2C spot for 10-15 games? I think he has what it takes. And especially because of what you said in bold. Miller was getting 3rd line wing duty last year at times. I think he would be ok in the 2C spot for the time being with Brass assuming the 1C spot. What do you think about Lindberg as the 3C beacon? Or am right to think you'd have Moore at 3C and Lindberg with sheltered minutes as 4C?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad