Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 20s
#NYR President and GM Glen Sather announced that Derek Stepan suffered a non-displaced fractured fibula & will be sidelined for 4-to-6 weeks

I'd say that's a major bullet dodged all things considering.

Glad to hear it isnt displaced.

Championship*

Could have been worse. Let's survive October and go from there.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
The other main consideration is keeping your conditioning. Leg injuries really hamper your ability to keep your baseline fitness.

Even with the much better timeline of 4-6 weeks, you most likely won't see a fully in shape and game speed Stepan until December (even though he'll play before then).

Really hope Lindberg gets the nod, but if I were a betting man, they'll go w/ the safety of the veteran in Lombardi.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
almost had a heart attack when i saw sather was commenting on the injury. just figured hed be the one announcing horrible news.

SupersonicMonkey*

4-6 weeks, plus rehab getting his leg strength back. Plus getting his fitness back to a level where he can play. Plus the time it will take for him to get over the timid stage testing the leg out in games. Plus getting the rust off, having not had a real training camp and no preseason.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Ouch. What horrible timing! I hope he makes a full recovery and that another young player can step it up!

SupersonicMonkey*

The other main consideration is keeping your conditioning. Leg injuries really hamper your ability to keep your baseline fitness.

Even with the much better timeline of 4-6 weeks, you most likely won't see a fully in shape and game speed Stepan until December (even though he'll play before then).

Really hope Lindberg gets the nod, but if I were a betting man, they'll go w/ the safety of the veteran in Lombardi.

Agree. Been saying that, too. Its a longer rehab process for an injury where you can't do anything.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
4-6 weeks, plus rehab getting his leg strength back. Plus getting his fitness back to a level where he can play. Plus the time it will take for him to get over the timid stage testing the leg out in games. Plus getting the rust off, having not had a real training camp and no preseason.

We get it. You made the same point a few pages back.

Fortunately not every person handles rehab the same way. For some its easier than others based on the type of mentality they have. Stamkos willed his way back last year. Lets reserve the dark outlook for other subjects

SupersonicMonkey*

We get it. You made the same point a few pages back.

Fortunately not every person handles rehab the same way. For some its easier than others based on the type of mentality they have. Stamkos willed his way back last year. Lets reserve the dark outlook for other subjects

Well, Stepan is a tough SOB. He proved that with the jaw in the playoffs.

My concern is, this isn't a hand or arm, or jaw. Its a leg. So it impacts his movement.

Its not a dark outlook, its being realistic.

Kreider - Hayes - St. Louis
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Malone - Brassard - Zuccarello
Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak

I'd like to try something like that, and just roll 4 lines evenly.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Wouldve been worse in early April.

Sucks, but this is probably the best time imo

True. Hopefully it heals 100% and does not have a chance to re-injure. I know nothing about fractures though, but I assume those areas are weaker after healing.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Heres the depth chart at center imo

Brassard
D. Moore
Miller
Lombardi / Lindberg
Hayes
Bourque / Mueller

It's Lombardi's spot right now to lose (despite not being a fan of his). If the Rangers waived/lost Lombardi when trying to send down and Brassard got hurt, the Rangers would be in a world of hurt w/ no veteran Cs.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Heres the depth chart at center imo

Brassard
D. Moore
Miller
Lombardi / Lindberg
Hayes
Bourque / Mueller

Brassard is absolutely going on the top line

Miller or Moore is a total toss up for the 2nd line It's going to be more about which wingers either one of them gels with. Gut feeling is that Miller sticks here.

Lombardi/Moore is also a total toss up for the 3rd, however I think Lombardi is prime for it. Hagelin-Lombo-Stempniak is a FAST line

Which really leaves Moore, Hayes, or Lombardi for the 4th line. Would rather not waste Hayes on the 4th line, so that puts it at either Moore or Lombo, whichever can't play 3C...

Still OK with this:

Nash-Brassard-Zucc
Kreider-Miller-MSL
Hagelin-Lombardi-Stempniak
Glass-Moore-Malone

It's possible that Lindberg can take 3C, and you can put Lombo on the 4th RW, which makes Malone a 13th forward

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
True. Hopefully it heals 100% and does not have a chance to re-injure. I know nothing about fractures though, but I assume those areas are weaker after healing.

Actually they heal stronger. I broke my hand and i have a bump which the doctor told me is a "calcium deposit". Its extra bone that overheals and strengthens the area

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Actually they heal stronger. I broke my hand and i have a bump which the doctor told me is a "calcium deposit". Its extra bone that overheals and strengthens the area

Sorry, not to nitpick, but that is technically not true, at least in the longrun. Yes, the site is slightly stronger temporarily, but that is mostly because the surrounding bone has de-mineralized and larger calcium deposit at the break location. Over a period of time, the site of the break is no stronger, nor weaker than surrounding bone (BUT, not at higher risk for breakage).

NYT Article w/ greater detail:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/health/19really.html?_r=0

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Nine or 10 games isn't that much, however you have to take in to account conditioning and getting in to a groove. Stepan missed TC last year because of not having a contract, and when he came back didn't play all that well initially. This will be even worse since he won't really be able to do much until it heals enough. By the time he gets his legs going and finds his stride it could be 20 games. Hopefully not, but something to consider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad