Defensemen who I thought would be very good/great

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Tommy Vannelli was embarrassing
Why? He was an excellent offensive defensemen who was on track u til his first head injury, then started getting back on track after a couple of years out before getting another one and retiring.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What was the hype around Shawn Belle when he was drafted? I was too young to really be following the draft/prospects at that time, but obviously in hindsight that pick hurts knowing who all went in the picks not long after him.
He was a super fast skater, and was also pretty big. THAT combination is great, unless you have little if any hockey skills and no hockey instincts, and aren't driven to try to be the best player you can be. Wanting to be good at a sport is more than half the battle. He was a little bit like the defenceman version of Chris Stewart.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Jonas Junland
Cade Fairchild
Brett Ponich
Petteri Lindbohm

Those are the first 4 that come to mind from recent drafts

Have to do some more digging on names on old names, but lot of them have been mentioned.

Christian Backman is one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Good call on Backman, I'd forgotten about him.

I remember listening to a game on the radio and Kelly Chase was our color broadcaster. After a whistle, he said of Backman "when is this guy going to compete like an NHL player?"

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder how a guy like Blackman would fair in a game today. He was still playing in the mucking and grinding years. Today is a bit more free flowing. Although the speed of the game may be too much.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I wonder how a guy like Blackman would fair in a game today. He was still playing in the mucking and grinding years. Today is a bit more free flowing. Although the speed of the game may be too much.

I think Backman would be probably good #4 dman in the league today. I see him as somewhat a poor man Torey Krug. Not quite as good as him, but can put up 30-40 pts.

It would be interesting to see how other players who struggled in the old NHL would look today like Backman and others.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think Backman would be probably good #4 dman in the league today. I see him as somewhat a poor man Torey Krug. Not quite as good as him, but can put up 30-40 pts.

It would be interesting to see how other players who struggled in the old NHL would look today like Backman and others.
I don’t know. He had physical tools, but I think there was a basic lack of competitiveness that would translate to any era of physicality in the NHL. I think Krug is a perfect example here of a guy that has a competitive fire in him that Backman just lacked. See Logan Brown. If Brown had more fire, I think he has the tools to be on the NHL roster.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t know. He had physical tools, but I think there was a basic lack of competitiveness that would translate to any era of physicality in the NHL. I think Krug is a perfect example here of a guy that has a competitive fire in him that Backman just lacked. See Logan Brown. If Brown had more fire, I think he has the tools to be on the NHL roster.
Drive certainly matters.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Imagine Walman's drive in Logan Brown's body. Maybe one day we'll be able to share and recombine DNA on the fly.
Who gets the double entendre??

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Imagine Walman's drive in Logan Brown's body. Maybe one day we'll be able to share and recombine DNA on the fly.
Who gets the double entendre??
upload_2021-11-19_7-36-47.gif

Reactions: Ranksu

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Belle was a reach and always low probability. Thankfully we were able to deal him for.. uh, nevermind. Cash was worse.
Cash had some nice reflexes but couldn't control a rebound to save his life.. he WAS pretty good about directing them right into the slot tho.. so there's that

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
This is a very weird gif. What is the provenance?
Need to correct myself. It's in reference to my comment, but the gif appears to be a scene of something with Jimmy Fallon. Maybe SNL or a skit during his late-night show. not sure

Reactions: Drubilly

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Need to correct myself. It's in reference to my comment, but the gif appears to be a scene of something with Jimmy Fallon. Maybe SNL or a skit during his late-night show. not sure

Yes, that gif is Jimmy Fallon’s portrayal of a social media obsessed teen girl that says “ewww” a lot. I thought it was relevant because I assumed CB was being all grody n stuff. I then thought I was being clever by dropping the Goldblum gif only to learn that’s what CB was referencing. People really do win on HFB!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad