Deadline scenario: Alfredsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Murray should leave it alone til 1-2 weeks before the deadline and then have this talk. If Alfie isnt returning then i think he should be traded, if he plays another year then no. So obviously its Alfies choice but...

Do I think it will happen? No. Do I think it should happen? Maybe.

I mean Alfie is a smart guy. I think it would mean a lot to him to be a career senator, but on the other hand he might see it as getting us an asset that would help in the future if we're clearly out of the playoffs.

And its not like either scenario will really have that much effect on his reputation. Hell Borque did it and hes obviously on another tier. Alfie gets a job in the org. the second he feels like it no matter what happens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How about if we ship Gonchar and Alfredsson in a package deal to Pittsburgh?

Well, if he wants to go, he's deserved that much.

I'd only really tolerate it, as a fan, if he won the Cup.

Otherwise, it ends up like a Wayne Gretzky stint in St. Louis, or a Mats Sundin in Vancouver.

John Holmes*

This thread again...

Alfredsson said years ago that if it was best for the team he'd accept a trade.

Every player wants to win the cup. You'll never hear a player say "yeah I want to win the cup, but not on that team"

:laugh:

Get serious. Of course Alfredsson is going to say he wants to win here and finish his career here, but the harsh reality is that only one of those options remains viable.

The fans are irrational when it comes to Alfredsson, but just look at the facts. The team is decimated with injuries. Our two best players are gone for the year. Alfredsson is 40 years old, and clearly right at, or damn close to the end of the line.

For sure some contender would LOVE an Alfredsson / Gonchar addition at the deadline.

They are both UFA's to be anyway.

If Alfie wants to keep playing...sign him in the off season. If not, offer him some token ambassador position in the organization.

To me it's a no brainer. Our season is finished. Let go of the past and look to the future.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I don't see why he wouldn't want to go to a strong team to win. The dude has sacrificed so much to stay in Ottawa, I would hate to see him just fade away without winning one. Plus he could fetch us some assets for the future. But its up to him.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Well, if he wants to go, he's deserved that much.

I'd only really tolerate it, as a fan, if he won the Cup.

Otherwise, it ends up like a Wayne Gretzky stint in St. Louis, or a Mats Sundin in Vancouver.

Not quite. As a matter of proportion, Alfie would play far less games for a foreign team than those two players. As a matter of principle, Alfie would still be just as much an Ottawa Senator when he retires.

This thread again...

Alfredsson said years ago that if it was best for the team he'd accept a trade.

Every player wants to win the cup. You'll never hear a player say "yeah I want to win the cup, but not on that team"

:laugh:

Get serious. Of course Alfredsson is going to say he wants to win here and finish his career here, but the harsh reality is that only one of those options remains viable.

The fans are irrational when it comes to Alfredsson, but just look at the facts. The team is decimated with injuries. Our two best players are gone for the year. Alfredsson is 40 years old, and clearly right at, or damn close to the end of the line.

For sure some contender would LOVE an Alfredsson / Gonchar addition at the deadline.

They are both UFA's to be anyway.

If Alfie wants to keep playing...sign him in the off season. If not, offer him some token ambassador position in the organization.

To me it's a no brainer. Our season is finished. Let go of the past and look to the future.

Agreed with this, except for the last part. It's not about "letting go of the past". I'm willing to bet that 99% of the fans here will be happy with whatever Alfie decides, because they know he'll be bringing the Cup back to Ottawa in the summer if he wins it.

John Holmes*

Not quite. As a matter of proportion, Alfie would play far less games for a foreign team than those two players. As a matter of principle, Alfie would still be just as much an Ottawa Senator when he retires.

Agreed with this, except for the last part. It's not about "letting go of the past". I'm willing to bet that 99% of the fans here will be happy with whatever Alfie decides, because they know he'll be bringing the Cup back to Ottawa in the summer if he wins it.

Huh?

Lots of players from Ottawa have won the cup. There is nothing special about a cup visit to the area when it was won by another team.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Huh?

Lots of players from Ottawa have won the cup. There is nothing special about a cup visit to the area when it was won by another team.

That's not really relevant. Alfredsson is the Ottawa Senators. He will continue to be the face of this franchise following his retirement, for some time.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'd like to see Alfie make a run at a cup, just not with an Eastern team. Vancouver would be ideal.

In a dream world we'd see him come back after that cup run for one last run with the sens next season in a second line role (behind Perry at RW).

No he's not, and no he won't be.

I agree. Don't get me wrong I love Alfie and he'll always have a spot in Ottawa but with Spezza and especially Karlsson, once Alfie retires those guys immediately become the face of the franchise.

It's hard for people to understand because we're such a young franchise and don't have that historic base but if Montreal could move on from Maurice freaking Richard we can move on from Alfie.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
All great captains must go down with their ship.

No way in hell Alfie gets traded.
Ray%252520Bourque.jpg

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Step 1: Trade Alfie to cup winning team
Step 2: Sign Alfie in the off-season
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad