Deadline scenario: Alfredsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Holmes*

Granted I don't live in Ottawa, but when I think of the Sens, I think of Alphie.

He is not only the face of the franchise, but a class one at that.

You think of Alphie...

He was the face of the franchise, but those days are gone. It doesn't take anything away from Alfredsson to say that he is no longer the big dog in the yard.

All of this Alfie protectionism is sentimental in nature. The fans don't want to let go.

I understand.

Sports is just a microcosm of life. 20 years ago Alfie was the young kid with the funny helmet that really stood out in training camp, then developed in to a 1000 point guy.

He's not that guy anymore.

Now he's the old guy in the room, and one of the oldest in the league for that matter.

The finish line is in sight.

Karlsson is the present / future.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
It's up to him of course. But I'm not sure these deadline aquistions buy what they used to. We might actually enjoy seeing Alfredsson spend his entire career as a Senator than the 2nd round draft pick he'd likely fetch. Beside he has an olympic gold medal so he's experienced something similar to a Stanley Cup Championship.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
You think of Alphie...

He was the face of the franchise, but those days are gone. It doesn't take anything away from Alfredsson to say that he is no longer the big dog in the yard.

All of this Alfie protectionism is sentimental in nature. The fans don't want to let go.

I understand.

Sports is just a microcosm of life. 20 years ago Alfie was the young kid with the funny helmet that really stood out in training camp, then developed in to a 1000 point guy.

He's not that guy anymore.

Now he's the old guy in the room, and one of the oldest in the league for that matter.

The finish line is in sight.

Karlsson is the present

:shakehead

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Next year we get Karlsson, Cowen back. Potentially a big name free agent like Perry and maybe a top-end prospect like Lindholm.

That is when we make a big push for a deep playoff run.

He'll be back.

StoneColdFlower*

The idea of Alfie not being a Senator makes me sad, and I'm a pittsburgh fan (albeit from ottawa).

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Next year we get Karlsson, Cowen back. Potentially a big name free agent like Perry and maybe a top-end prospect like Lindholm.

That is when we make a big push for a deep playoff run.

He'll be back.

This.

And our youngsters we have Like Silfverberg, Zibanejad and Da Costa now will have a year of experience under their belt and hopefully be better players. I dont think Alfie will want to miss out on that. And I think he loves Ottawa too much to leave.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't think he wants to move and I don't think the team will ask him to, but... I don't think he wants to end up like Sundin who, when asked to waive his NTC, refused and thus suddenly became a polarizing player in Toronto and was not offered to re-sign with the team during the summer despite coming off a really good season. He didn't want to retire but seeing as he could no longer play for his team he took several months before signing with another team. Following this he did retire even though he probably had another couple of good seasons in him. He never openly declared that anything was amiss in Vancouver, but reading between the lines it was quite obvious that he was not comfortable playing in the NHL for another team than Toronto.

Anyway, I still don't think it will come down to him being asked to move so much ado about nothing I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad