Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
There have been zero relevant data points so far to indicate whether or not Reinbacher will succeed in the NHL. It’s all trust.

Some people make assessments based on data and inputs and trends and others go by “vibes”. Sometimes the vibes types end up looking like the winners. Many such cases.

Not my place to say what can and can’t be said here. I don’t even know what youre trying to say.

If you don't think Bustbacher is amazing and is going to be amazing, you don't understand hockey, sir.

Signed, Miller Time.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Guhle isn't even seen as a top 4 defender by most of this fanbase and he's clearly a top 30 D in the league, right now. What you say about Reinbacher is a pipe dream.
By the age of 20 Reinbacher will have 3 pro seasons under his belt. Kaiden had no pro experience. Reinbacher stood out at the WJC against the best on a hot garbage team.

It blows my mind how he gets dismissed and devalued. I love Guhles game. Always have. But Reinbacher will be a notch above. He will be top pairing RD playing 25 minutes a night. I don’t understand why people can’t see this. He literally would have just graduated high school and he already plays with the poise he does

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Optimism is nicer and more enjoyable than pessimism. I’ve learned my lesson and believe it now — unless things go bad there’s no point to dwell on how they might or could go bad. One does not need to be delusional though.

Otherwise, of course I agree about the religious zealotry aspect.

Your nickname is going to rankle people but their rankling should be muted if they really believed in Reinbacher like they say they do.

I haven’t watched the preseason so I don’t really care how he has looked (as long as it wasn’t catastrophically bad) because he wasn’t meant to take a NHL spot anyway, so whatever.

I don't even like pessimism, I like realism, and honesty.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Reinbuster already defends better than 80% of our D corps. Which is not a huge achievement, because theyre trash on D. But still, he's only 19-20.

I want him playing in the AHL because he wont get as many offensive opportunities to develop his offensive touches with the big team, but he will be a top pairing D for us for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There have been zero relevant data points so far to indicate whether or not Reinbacher will succeed in the NHL. It’s all trust.

Assessing a player is not either data points or trust.

The best player evaluators any sport use data as a support, not a source of their assessments.

Some people make assessments based on data and inputs and trends and others go by “vibes”. Sometimes the vibes types end up looking like the winners. Many such cases.

Lol. Sure, amongst those without a background in the field of performance development... Which, of course, is the majority of sport fans.

But there are competencies in athlete assessment that are more informative than data sets. Using data without those competencies is precisely where terrible player assessments show up the most.

Not my place to say what can and can’t be said here. I don’t even know what youre trying to say.
?

I thought it obvious.

Last year, many posters couldn't understand or see the very obvious signs of performance progression (and limitations) of one of our top prospects. They relied heavily on the available data about his performance and shallow visual assessments of his play to feed a strong conviction that he was "being rushed", "had no or low hockey IQ", "was a terrible pick", "was/would be a bust".

This despite the experts closest to his progression and performance articulating very clearly what they saw, and some fans around here observing and articulating those same things.

Sadly, we're seeing glimpses of the same thing at play. RB, by his play, is demonstrating quite clearly "what they saw & see in him"... But one has to know what they are looking at and how to assess it, to be able to see those attributes. If not, like with Slaf last year, the superficial assessments backed by small data sets that are ultimately meaningless without the ability to contextualize them appropriately, drive hot takes and, poor assessments.

Vibes & trust have nothing to do with it. Dismissing something one doesn't understand in that manner isn't a good way to expand ones understanding... Imo

Reinbuster already defends better than 80% of our D corps. Which is not a huge achievement, because theyre trash on D. But still. he's only 19-20.

I want him playing in the AHL because he wont get as many offensive opportunities to develop his offensive touches with the big team, but he will be a top pairing D for us for a long time.

I too hope he busts-a-move in the AHL, if only because it'll save us the incessant whining about his play in every Habs game day thread.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If you don't think Bustbacher is amazing and is going to be amazing, you don't understand hockey, sir.

Signed, Miller Time.

Fyi, I ain't paying rent for occupying that tiny space.

Bad takes, trolling, hypocrisy, dishonesty... I clearly bring out the best in your posting lol

What happened to talking about hockey or RB? Wasn't that what you said you wanted?

Care to share some more hot takes and poorly grounded assessments about RB?

Reactions: HabsMD97

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Last year, many posters couldn't understand or see the very obvious signs of performance progression (and limitations) of one of our top prospects. They relied heavily on the available data about his performance and shallow visual assessments of his play to feed a strong conviction that he was "being rushed", "had no or low hockey IQ", "was a terrible pick", "was/would be a bust".

This despite the experts closest to his progression and performance articulating very clearly what they saw, and some fans around here observing and articulating those same things.

Sadly, we're seeing glimpses of the same thing at play. RB, by his play, is demonstrating quite clearly "what they saw & see in him"... But one has to know what they are looking at and how to assess it, to be able to see those attributes. If not, like with Slaf last year, the superficial assessments backed by small data sets that are ultimately meaningless without the ability to contextualize them appropriately, drive hot takes and, poor assessments.
I would argue that Slafkovsky was actually rushed, but that we have no need to rush Reinbacher so it isn't that important.

Slaf's rookie year he was pointless in his last 15 games before getting shut down for injury, getting rocked multiple times in those games. Then to start his sophomore season he had 1 assist in the first 10 games, 3 points in his first 17 games, and for the most part he was playing timid and had noticeably bad timing.

Slaf's bump in production came from an increase in ice time and promotion to the top line around late-November/early-December. Suzuki and Matheson had career years, which helped his production, but he proved he wasn't a passenger. As the season went on we all saw Slafkovsky's confidence increase as he realized he could be a force on that line. He went from being scared to make a mistake to being the one who drove the play.

Could he have figured it out sooner in the AHL? I guess we will never know, but I wouldn't bash anyone for questioning the development strategy early on last season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would argue that Slafkovsky was actually rushed, but that we have no need to rush Reinbacher so it isn't that important.
Disagree on Slaf.
Also dont think this hockey ops department will "rush" any prospect to fill a perceived need.

Slaf's rookie year he was pointless in his last 15 games before getting shut down for injury, getting rocked multiple times in those games. Then to start his sophomore season he had 1 assist in the first 10 games, 3 points in his first 17 games, and for the most part he was playing timid and had noticeably bad timing.
This is an example of confusing data points with making a quality/sound assessment.

Player development and progression is not about points. Slaf could've easily been producing more points if he was not being asked to focus on specific areas of technical and tactical development. What your describing is the outcome of the very predictable "dip" in performance output when a young athlete is being coached to improve areas of their game vs being allowed to go out and do whatever works.

Remember Galch or Yakupov? Two good examples of what happens when a highly skilled youth is allowed to rely on what got them to the show, rather than focus on what will allow them to reach the full height of their potential. (A process that requires both strong support and strong internal commitment... Elements Slaf has in spades, and by all indications this far, RB as well).
Slaf's bump in production came from an increase in ice time and promotion to the top line around late-November/early-December. Suzuki and Matheson had career years, which helped his production, but he proved he wasn't a passenger. As the season went on we all saw Slafkovsky's confidence increase as he realized he could be a force on that line. He went from being scared to make a mistake to being the one who drove the play.
I disagree with the causal links you imply.

His confidence did grow, predictably so for reasons well articulated and outlined both by the organization and some posters on this site. No need to rehash that in a RB thread, but I encourage you to use the search function to go back and see for yourself.

Could he have figured it out sooner in the AHL? I guess we will never know, but I wouldn't bash anyone for questioning the development strategy early on last season.
An opinion or take can be questioned and/or have it's flaws pointed out without it meaning a person is bring "bashed".

A bad take is a bad take, that's all.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You obviously haven't even read my posts.

Also, sorry, but this isn't a 'safe space' for teenagers.

We are free to discuss any player on our team.

I've read your posts and they're not very good. Essentially it's a whole lot of crying that Reinbacher doesn't fit this fictional 5th overall defenseman that you have to pick at 5 otherwise they can't provide value to winning.

Bringing in 'safe space' as part of the discussion is pretty much the dog whistle I need to see that you're just being an edgelord. I'm surprised you haven't used the word 'woke' or somehow brought up Trudeau in the discussion yet.

Which take is terrible?

That Bustbacher hasn't been very impressive thus far in this short career?

I swear some people on here need to toughen up.

Bustbacher - hilarious and original. Not even clever enough to use Reinbuster which makes more sense phonetically.

No one needs to toughen up; there's a world of difference between fair criticism and toxic behaviour that bleeds out of the public space and has an actual impact on a teenager trying to realize their dream.

When you read articles like that and understand that, something Reinbacher had been working toward and thinking about his entire life, was tainted by people like you and your inability to accept a decision was made that you don't agree with - does that make you feel good?

Do you feel good that you and people like you took a special moment and ruined it? A moment he will never get back. Then tell me what did David Reinbacher ever do to warrant that? What did the kid playing hockey do that justifies that type of behaviour from fans that act and think the way you do?

If you trusted the Reinbacher pick

And trust Reinbacher as a prospect

You shouldn’t be so fussed and confused whenever someone expresses any doubt or criticism of Reinbacher.

Re-lax.

And if you dislike the Reinbacher pick, you shouldn't claim foul when people tell you the value he brings. But since it isn't flashy and it doesn't translate to big numbers on a hockeydb page; they pretend it doesn't warrant the selection or that it doesn't actually matter.

It matters. It matters to management who build teams. It matters to coaches who deploy their rosters in ways to win hockey games. It matters to the 4 other players on the ice. It matters to the skilled players who spend more time with the puck and less time defending. It matters to the goalie in net who can trust the big threats will be nullified and the right transition and zone exit decisions will happen.

you were the most miserable person here for a decade bro, something pot something kettle

Well I happily passed that honor on to you and you've managed to lap me in short order. Congratulations.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
River Meadow had the absolute worst takes of them all in the Slaf thread a year ago. Even more than you know who.

His opinion right now is a clear indicator of what is about to happen with Reinbacher, especially with the name bustbacher being given... full overdrive parabolic and exponential growth right around the corner for this 19YO still growing and toolsy defenseman who, according to his NHL coach, is already well ahead of player his age when it comes to play reading and positioning.

Last edited:

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
River Meadow had the absolute worst takes of them all in the Slaf thread a year ago. Even more than you know who.

His opinion right now is a clear indicator of what is about to happen with Reinbacher, especially with the name bustbacher being given... full overdrive parabolic and exponential growth right around the corner for this 19YO still growing and toolsy defenseman who, according to his NHL coach, is already well ahead of player his age when it comes to play reading positioning.

B u s t b a c h e r

Congrats on not reading my posts and instead just fixating on the Bustbacher bit, which is obviously a joke.

10/10 reading comprehension

• Haha
Reactions: Jaynki

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I can actually see why some would be skeptical about Reinbacher. He doesn't possess many elite traits that are apparent on the eye test. He has a number of good tools. He doesn't have much, if any, deception on offense, which you generally expect from a top 5 pick, nor does he have the power game of someone like Seider. He's advertised as a defensive defenseman, but the truth is he's made a lot of mistakes. The upside isn't clear yet, because he hasn't really adapted or grown into his game yet. I think people would have been disappointed with picking Heiskanen over Michkov, but would have immediately fell in love with his game right from his D+2 training camp. I mentioned I like Reinbacher's game, the way he snuffs out players along the boards, how rangy he is, the first pass option, but he's still raw and the truth is he's not what you typically see from a top 5 pick in that kind of draft.

Now that being said, Reinbacher was really, really for Laval last year down the stretch. I fully expect even better this year. I think he'll quickly overtake both Mailloux and Barron.

Reactions: River Meadow

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Its always funny how the fanbase is skeptical of players like Slafkovsky(wright bias), Reinbacher(michkov bias) or Hutson(size bias.)

But will masturbate on fringe player like Kapanen (D+4) or Mailloux way closer to their way lower ceiling.

By wanting to be the most intelligent person, folks will make terrible take when there is an obvious easy take on the table.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I can actually see why some would be skeptical about Reinbacher. He doesn't possess many elite traits that are apparent on the eye test. He has a number of good tools. He doesn't have much, if any, deception on offense, which you generally expect from a top 5 pick, nor does he have the power game of someone like Seider. He's advertised as a defensive defenseman, but the truth is he's made a lot of mistakes. The upside isn't clear yet, because he hasn't really adapted or grown into his game yet. I think people would have been disappointed with picking Heiskanen over Michkov, but would have immediately fell in love with his game right from his D+2 training camp. I mentioned I like Reinbacher's game, the way he snuffs out players along the boards, how rangy he is, the first pass option, but he's still raw and the truth is he's not what you typically see from a top 5 pick in that kind of draft.

Now that being said, Reinbacher was really, really for Laval last year down the stretch. I fully expect even better this year. I think he'll quickly overtake both Mailloux and Barron.

The elite skills and the upside is absolutely f***ing obvious.

Its just not "flashy skills" related so its ignored.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Its always funny how the fanbase is skeptical of players like Slafkovsky(wright bias), Reinbacher(michkov bias) or Hutson(size bias.)

But will masturbate on fringe player like Kapanen (D+4) or Mailloux way closer their way lower ceiling.

By wanting to be the most intelligent person, folks will make terrible take when there is an obvious easy take on the table.

I didn't want Wright. Go look back on my posts. I was super concerned about his no compete in the PO.

Also, when I criticized Habs management saying they should send Slaf down to AHL, Slaf looked like dogsh*t. When he started to turn it around I was very happy. If you think that means we can't comment on any prospect because Slaf did something incredible, I don't know what to tell you.....

I am not even criticizing Bustbacher here, go read my posts. I am saying he looks ORDINARY and pedestrian right now for a 5th OA. He likely won't make the team out of camp, which is all totally fine, he is very young.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Exactly.

I see people have learned zero lessons from the Slaf thread…

Should we lie and say he's looked INCREDIBLE this preseason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad