Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
“The things I do on the ice, I can’t influence stuff out of the ice, you know what I mean? I just try to go on the ice, do my best. The things I can influence are on the ice, with and without the puck, and that’s what I try to do. The rest, I just leave it,” he said. “If the stuff from outside influences you, you’ll probably have a hard time. So just stick to yourself, believe in yourself and do the stuff you can do.”

Except that quote, even if he didn’t mean it this way, also applies to his game on the ice. Reinbacher’s strength as a player is his efficiency. When he’s at his best, he kills plays and makes sure the puck moves in the right direction without being flashy. It is a game rooted in simplicity, which the Canadiens had to remind him of last season when director of player development Rob Ramage made a visit to Kloten and showed Reinbacher video of Shea Weber to prove that simple can be highly effective.

“Simple plays, moving the puck fast, denying all the plays from the opponent, do the box outs, do the defensive part that is asked from the coaches and the staff,” Reinbacher said. “I’m just trying to do that.”

You might have felt Reinbacher looked disappointing over the weekend because he didn’t pop with any highlight-reel stuff. But if you’re expecting to see Reinbacher pop in a prospect game, you’re expecting him to do something he was not drafted to do and something he’s been specifically told not to do.

His strength to the Canadiens, the reason they drafted him so high, is his ability to make plays that specifically don’t pop but that lead to his team playing on offence more and on defence less. It’s the accumulation of good decisions and good actions over time that make him pop. None of the individual decisions necessarily do, but collectively they help a team win.

By understanding and accepting that at such a young age, Reinbacher is showing tremendous growth.

- Arpon Basu
gotta love it.

I think Reinbacher starts in the NHL.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
gotta love it.

I think Reinbacher starts in the NHL.
Not sure if he will or not, but I’m expecting a handful of training camp surprises forcing HuGo’s hands into making unexpected moves / trades …

I expect Barron is gonzo, and potentially two from bottom-6 (Dvorak + Pezzetta? / Primeau?)

I’m expecting Struble & Hutson will claim stake to a starting D position, Beck will steal the 3C / 4C job and potentially another surprise (Tuch?, Dobes?)

Reactions: Jaynki and Habs

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Not sure if he will or not, but I’m expecting a handful of training camp surprises forcing HuGo’s hands into making unexpected moves / trades …

I expect Barron is gonzo, and potentially two from bottom-6 (Dvorak + Pezzetta? / Primeau?)

I’m expecting Struble will claim stake to a starting D position, Beck will steal the 3C / 4C job and potentially another surprise (Tuch?, Dobes?)
Well, I know we are all enthusiastic about these players especially with those who played well this weekend, but let's see what happens against the big verteran guys. The level of play will be up another level from this weekend.

But it will be fun the next two weeks for sure

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think we got a really good one in Reinbacher. Moves very well, carries the puck with some poise, and has enough offensive vision to make some creative plays on, although just on occasion. Heads up player, scanning regularly.

I feel pretty confident he's going to be a steady minute-eater for years with the Habs.
I liked him very much in Laval. He's hard to play around. The only real issue was reading the play coming back at him.
He had the same issue in Switzerland with guys getting behind him on occasion but I don't see it becoming a major problem.
Much of it has to do with how aggressive he likes to be with his gap control.
I think it's something he can tweak on and is certainly not something we'd want to change in his game.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Well, I know we are all enthusiastic about these players especially with those who played well this weekend, but let's see what happens against the big verteran guys. The level of play will be up another level from this weekend.

But it will be fun the next two weeks for sure
Hutson is guaranteed in, which will force Barron to be traded IMO

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If everyone is healthy I think starting in the AHL is much more likely, but once he gets called up he won't be going back down.
I am stating this but it is knowing it would be a surprise.

I think he may outplay both Mailloux and Barron as he brings something neither of thems bring.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Reinbacher is already among the 6 best D in the org, but I want him to start in the A. The only thing he really needs to improve right now is his confidence. The rest of of his game will jump has his confidence grows. For that to happen he needs to go and try new things in the A, play in all situations, etc. He'll be up with the team half way through the season like Struble last year.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

I expect Barron is gonzo, and potentially two from bottom-6 (Dvorak + Pezzetta?)
I'm expecting nothing to happen, vets always gets a pass in training camp and then MSL gives them two-three months to show something before downgrading them.

The only reasons Habs had so many rookies on the line-up the last few years is season start injuries and trading UFAs at the TDL.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I'm expecting nothing to happen, vets always gets a pass in training camp and then MSL gives them two-three months to show something before downgrading them.

The only reasons Habs had so many rookies on the line-up the last few years is season start injuries and trading UFAs at the TDL.
We waived Armia and Lindstrom after last year TC to make room for younger guys.

But agree in a general sense with what you say.

Reinbacher is already among the 6 best D in the org, but I want him to start in the A.
I also believe it.

I think he could gain a lot of confidence by playing steadily in the NHL too. He will also enjoy his experience a lot more.

IMO, if he is truly one of our 6 best D, he should play NHL.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
We waived Armia and Lindstrom after last year TC to make room for younger guys.

But agree in a general sense with what you say.

I also believe it.

I think he could gain a lot of confidence by playing steadily in the NHL too. He will also enjoy his experience a lot more.

IMO, if he is truly one of our 6 best D, he should play NHL.
A Rocket team loaded with talent might win a lot more games than one of the worst teams in the nhl though. That’ll play with a kid’s confidence too probably. Unless I’m wrong the Bulldogs benefited back in the day.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Hutson is guaranteed in, which will force Barron to be traded IMO

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
nope....Barron is RD. Struble is more likely gone. We are flush with left D. Mailloux may still make this team as a RD as well.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Barron

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

I’m expecting Struble & Hutson will claim stake to a starting D position, Beck will steal the 3C / 4C job and potentially another surprise (Tuch?, Dobes?)
Still contracts to move. I don’t think anyone is stealing a spot. I honestly think the biggest surprise will be that guys everyone thinks will make it end up in Laval. There’s zero need to rush anyone. As for Dobes, I like him, but they haven’t truly seen Primeau in a backup role for a season yet. Dobes will get at least another year in the ahl.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Reinbacher doesnt need to score 15 goals or 55 points to be a top 1 or 3 D, Maybe score about 7-8, rack up 45 points , be able to transition effectively and get the puck out with a pass or skate it up, play a solid solid D game and eat up 25 minutes a game, and he is a number 1D for us. Weber had a cannon shot and Reinbacher doesnt, but our new boy can skate it out and create better I bet.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
We needed to draft a Reinbacher type D-man. Almost every cup winner has a stud D-man or 2, they usually take longer to develop so generally you need to draft them 1st. Look at recent cup winners

2024 Fla Ekblad/montour Forsling
2023 Vegas Pietrangelo
2022 Avs Makar Toews
2021 Hedman McDonough
2020 Hedman McDonough
2019 Blues Pietrangelo
2018 Caps Carlson
2017 Pens Letang (injured)
2016 Letang
2015 Hawks Keith Seabrook
2014 Kings Doughty
2013 Hawks Keith Seabrook
2012 Kings Doughty
2011 Bruins Chara
2010 Hawks Keith Seabrook
2009 Pens Letang
2008 wings Lidstrom
2007 Ducks Pronger Neidermayer
2006 Canes Ward

Really only the 2017 Pens (letang was injured) and 2006 Canes since the lockout did it without a stud D. The bolded guys were drafted top 5. Canes were by committe but had 2 top 5 picks on D in Ward and teverdovsky.

Teams that win the cup have elite talent up front and on D. You need to find those D men as much as you need the forwards.

will reinbacher be that d-man? we don't know just like we don't know if any of the F will be but you need options to find him. Could argue that the stud who plays big minutes is more impt.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Hutson still needs upper body strength imo. He needs a little more seasoning. I just don’t see him starting in the nhl yet. He needs big minutes in Laval. Sure he looks great against rookies. I just don’t see him playing 82 games in the nhl yet.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hutson still needs upper body strength imo. He needs a little more seasoning. I just don’t see him starting in the nhl yet. He needs big minutes in Laval. Sure he looks great against rookies. I just don’t see him playing 82 games in the nhl yet.

The NHLers who are training with him all disagree.

He's making the team.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
nope....Barron is RD. Struble is more likely gone. We are flush with left D. Mailloux may still make this team as a RD as well.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Barron
One spent the entire summer in Mtl working with Adam Nicholas (Struble), the other disappeared to parts unknown…

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Barron

I'd be very wary of giving up on Struble too soon. He was a revelation when he was recalled last year and even though he slowed down somewhat as the season wore on, he's got the tools and physicality teams need from their bottom pairing and is better suited to that role stylistically than Barron.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Reinbacher is already among the 6 best D in the org, but I want him to start in the A. The only thing he really needs to improve right now is his confidence. The rest of of his game will jump has his confidence grows. For that to happen he needs to go and try new things in the A, play in all situations, etc. He'll be up with the team half way through the season like Struble last year.

After reading the article posted here I think this is the last thing he'll be doing in the A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad