Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
The Habs do nothing. Guhle gets moved back to LD, Struble become the 7th D and voilà there is a spot for Reinbacher at RD.
Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Wifi are our LHD ,
So Wifi being the 7th D ? no way.
I think that if Reinbacher makes the team it would look like

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Wifi-Reinbacher
Barron

Mailloux and Struble takes a other year in Laval or wait for a injury.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Why can Reinbacher make the team this year ?
Look at the 2022 draft
Nemec, Pavel, Korchinsky, Jiricek all play 50 games are so last year.
I understand that we have a to many D, but if he looks good at camp what the Habs do ?
Make room ?
Trade ?
If so whom ?

I think they'll make room. I think it's likely there will be a battle between Struble, Mailloux, Barron, Hutson and Reinbacher for the last spot in the top 6. One or two of Struble/Barron will be a spare. It's going to be a very interesting training camp. It definitely looks like Reinbacher prepared well this summer and I'm really intrigued what his height will be. He looks taller than last year and he came in at almost 6'3"

Reactions: Redux91

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Wifi-Reinbacher
Barron

I think Hutson has more chances to start in Laval than Struble. Unpopular opinion I know, but Struble has shown he can play top level, Hutson not yet really. And in that case, you get an easier puzzle to solve at the start of the season.

Reactions: stanley25

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Barron and/or Arber starting the season in the rotating extra dman spot is definitely an option if two of the other young dmen are lights out at the big camp. It's not ideal, but it's just that deep of a position for us right now. It's a nice problem to have, in any case. I can also see a world where even Hutson is starting the season with Laval, Hughes kinda laid that seed already.

Reactions: Rapala and Redux91

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I think Hutson has more chances to start in Laval than Struble. Unpopular opinion I know, but Struble has shown he can play top level, Hutson not yet really. And in that case, you get an easier puzzle to solve at the start of the season.
as much as i agree with you people wants to see Hutson not Struble
$$ talks ;-)

Reactions: Paddyjack

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Barron and/or Arber starting the season in the rotating extra dman spot is definitely an option if two of the other young dmen are lights out at the big camp. It's not ideal, but it's just that deep of a position for us right now. It's a nice problem to have, in any case. I can also see a world where even Hutson is starting the season with Laval, Hughes kinda laid that seed already.
I think that's what's going to happen too. It's not that any of these guys aren't good enough to be there, they just have the misfortune of being on a two-way contract at the moment.

Unless one of them is insane in camp to make Kent Hughes go "we don't need Justin Barron, bye" I can see a lot of them starting in Laval. That's okay. Doesn't mean they're busts and it doesn't mean they won't play up with the big club (especially with our injury history).

Reactions: bsl

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
What does he do really well?

I've watched clips in the past, I've seen most of Montreal's vids on him, and I watched the full game from yesterday and I'm still not sold on where his upside is going to come from.

You can be good without being flashy, but you still have to be good. What's he (really) good at?
He is elite at "being boring". He is just doing so many things right. There are Ds who are "sparks" like Matheson, Hutson and always bring some action at both ends of the ice (positive and negative) and then you have guys like Pietrangelo, Slavin who are "stabilizers". They will not do anything spectacular, but they will just make 99% corect decisions.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hutson has shown he can play at the top level, what he hasn't shown is that he can be consistent because he only has 2 games. But you don't prove consistency in the AHL, so Hutson will be given every chance to show that he belongs at camp. And then they'll make the decision based on what they feel is best for Hutson's long term development.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Wifi-Reinbacher
Barron

Struble is not a good choice to call up for injury if sent to Laval, he has 9-11 games left before losing his waiver exemption. Which is why I think he's going to be kept as the 7th D. He also ran out of juice last year, so playing less games in a row should help him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Struble is not a good choice to call up for injury if sent to Laval, he has 9-11 games left before losing his waiver exemption. Which is why I think he's going to be kept as the 7th D. He also ran out of juice last year, so playing less games in a row should help him.
Of all the young D the Habs have in their system Jayden Struble is one of the most intriguing. Skates well, strong as a country Ox and showed some really good things last year. Patience.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Of all the young D the Habs have in their system Jayden Struble is one of the most intriguing. Skates well, strong as a country Ox and showed some really good things last year. Patience.
He was really solid for like 20 games (or 40ish if we count the AHL ones), then fatigue showed up and he lost in effectiveness. Once he can endure the entire season, he's going to have a long career even if he never wins a Norris.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He was really solid for like 20 games (or 40ish if we count the AHL ones), then fatigue showed up and he lost in effectiveness. Once he can endure the entire season, he's going to have a long career even if he never wins a Norris.
Yeah I think going from a 35 game college schedule to the grind of a professional league schedule took its toll, as it does for most NCAA players.

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I think that's what's going to happen too. It's not that any of these guys aren't good enough to be there, they just have the misfortune of being on a two-way contract at the moment.

Unless one of them is insane in camp to make Kent Hughes go "we don't need Justin Barron, bye" I can see a lot of them starting in Laval. That's okay. Doesn't mean they're busts and it doesn't mean they won't play up with the big club (especially with our injury history).

I wouldn't use misfortune but luxury. For the first time in a while, we can afford to let the prospects pay their dues in the AHL. They enjoy the airplanes more when they have rode the bus for a while. That's why I think Hutson and Reinbacher will propably start in Laval. With injuries, they'll get games in Mtl anyway.

Barron can't really be traded because Mtl still needs a 3rd RD on a long term perspective.

Reactions: ChikN

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think he's going to be the biggest surprise at camp.
100%
Odds are they go Barron/Struble for #6 #7

But mannnnnn, if anyone's forcing Hughes to trade Barron
It's ol Davey boy for sure

There is definitely a universe where Reinbacher makes it over Barron and you just deal with the minimal fallout from it

It's not a potential 'botched trade!' it was a stab at a potential top4 D
The other best way to try to get one is drafting high too, and Hughes took another stab there as well
But this one looks waaaaay more fruitful

Reactions: 417 and jj cale

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah he kind of laid down the gravel for that paved road with his comments on "Not Hiding" Hutson.
Like I said previously this is going to be a doozy of a camp.
It's extremely hard to know what is best for our kids and the team at this point.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall whenever there is internal discussion happening in the development group.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
100%
Odds are they go Barron/Struble for #6 #7

But mannnnnn, if anyone's forcing Hughes to trade Barron
It's ol Davey boy for sure

There is definitely a universe where Reinbacher makes it over Barron and you just deal with the minimal fallout from it

It's not a potential 'botched trade!' it was a stab at a potential top4 D
The other best way to try to get one is drafting high too, and Hughes took another stab there as well
But this one looks waaaaay more fruitful
I don’t see them giving away Barron

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble

Is how I see it starting off

Reactions: billy piton

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
They've made it pretty clear that for Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher they will play them wherever they think it's best for their long term development. And as we saw with Slaf, they clearly believe the NHL can be a good place for development to take place.

Obviously how they look at camp can change things but right now I see Hutson benefiting more in the NHL then the AHL. For Mailloux I think it's the opposite and the AHL is better for him. Reinbacher is a bit of a wildcard in that regards as I can see the case for either, but I'm leaning slightly NHL. In which case the D would look something like
Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Reinbacher
Barron

Jul 6, 2016
They've made it pretty clear that for Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher they will play them wherever they think it's best for their long term development. And as we saw with Slaf, they clearly believe the NHL can be a good place for development to take place.

Obviously how they look at camp can change things but right now I see Hutson benefiting more in the NHL then the AHL. For Mailloux I think it's the opposite and the AHL is better for him. Reinbacher is a bit of a wildcard in that regards as I can see the case for either, but I'm leaning slightly NHL. In which case the D would look something like
Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Reinbacher
Barron
I think Reinbacher will start at AHL level. He has played so few games in Laval, and he needs to keep learning. Habs might start the season with 7 d-men, and Struble will be that #7, unless they sign a vet out of the blue to hold that place.

I don’t see them giving away Barron

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble

Is how I see it starting off
Hutson is almost 100% guaranteed to start the season with the Habs. Not Reinbacher.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Reinbacher
Barron
I'm I the only one who thinks a Hutson Savard pairing might be be a disaster?
If I'm a top line facing that pairing I'm lobbing pucks into Savard's corner while using a heavy forcheck to keep them hemmed in.
Teams will be planning to keep Hutson 200ft away from goal as much as possible.
I'd prefer to see Hutson with an extremely mobile puck moving partner as the best way to exploit his talents.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think Reinbacher will start at AHL level. He has played so few games in Laval, and he needs to keep learning. Habs might start the season with 7 d-men, and Struble will be that #7, unless they sign a vet out of the blue to hold that place.

Hutson is almost 100% guaranteed to start the season with the Habs. Not Reinbacher.
I tend to agree that Hutson has a spot all but locked up and would basically need to have a bad camp to not make the team whereas Reinbacher is far less secure and needs to "steal" a spot. But I wouldn't bet against him doing just that. Yes there are things he could learn at the AHL level he's likely good enough that he can learn at the NHL level as well and if you can learn/develop at the NHL level it's probably better for you then learning at the AHL level.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm I the only one who thinks a Hutson Savard pairing might be be a disaster?
If I'm a top line facing that pairing I'm lobbing pucks into Savard's corner while using a heavy forcheck to keep them hemmed in.
Teams will be planning to keep Hutson 200ft away from goal as much as possible.
I'd prefer to see Hutson with an extremely mobile puck moving partner as the best way to exploit his talents.
Well presumably the Matheson Guhle line would be facing the opposing teams top line most of the time.

And in any case the Hutson - Savard pairing wasn't a disaster against Detroit, so although I'm sure there will be times they get hemmed in, that's true for every pairing and is part of the development experience. Your situation can just as easily end up with an easy breakout with Savard getting the puck in the corner and sending it to Hutson side who picks it up and uses his shiftiness to open up a passing lane and we are counteracting with numbers.

Jul 6, 2016
I tend to agree that Hutson has a spot all but locked up and would basically need to have a bad camp to not make the team whereas Reinbacher is far less secure and needs to "steal" a spot. But I wouldn't bet against him doing just that. Yes there are things he could learn at the AHL level he's likely good enough that he can learn at the NHL level as well and if you can learn/develop at the NHL level it's probably better for you then learning at the AHL level.
20 to 40 more games at AHL level won’t hurt him. I don’t see Habs starting season with two raw rookies like Hutson and Reinbacher in their top-six, taking into account that they have to use some guys with not much experience yet at NHL level like Guhle, Xhekaj, Baron, The last two need to prove they can handle defensive play better. We don’t have Harris and Kovacevic anymore to help a bit on that aspect of the game. Struble is actually better defensively than Xhekaj and Barron.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
20 to 40 more games at AHL level won’t hurt him. I don’t see Habs starting season with two raw rookies like Hutson and Reinbacher in their top-six, taking into account that they have to use some guys with not much experience yet at NHL level like Guhle, Xhekaj, Baron, The last two need to prove they can handle defensive play better. We don’t have Harris and Kovacevic anymore to help a bit on that aspect of the game. Struble is actually better defensively than Xhekaj and Barron.
And 20 to 40 games in the AHL wouldn't hurt Hutson either. It's not a question of whether it would hurts it's a question of what is best, and if a player can handle playing and developing at the NHL level then it's almost always better to do that then to play in the AHL.

Chances are good that out of Xhekaj, Barron, Struble and Reinbacher that the best defensively is Reinbacher. He might be a rookie and will no doubt make some mistakes because of it but he's also very likely the best of that group.

And at the end of the day with Hutson, Mailloux, and Reinbacher all looking to make the team over the next 2 years we will be going with 2 rookies at some point, and to an extent the earlier the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad