Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Couldn't he also end up as an Alzner type, or worse?

It's anecdotal, but it feels like the qualities that Reinbacher gets praise for is eerily similar to guys like Alzner (5th overall), Juolevi (5th overall), Broberg (8th overall) etc.

I've thought before that the guys who get labelled "safe" are actually often more risky than the players with some elite attribute.

I'm not trying to hate on Reinbacher, just explaining why I, and likely many others still have our doubts.
I don’t think ‘safe’ is a great descriptor of RB. It’s not WHOLLY incorrect but he’s not the safe type. He’s not a riverboat gambler but he will take the puck himself and rush it.

And again he’s not devoid of skill. He’s terrific in transition. Great passer. He was like .06 points away from Josi’s PPG at the same age. And it’s not like he was on an offensive powerhouse.

Look at the points he scored in the AHL during the toughest time of year as a 19 year old. He’s not Karlsson but he sure as hell isn’t Alzner. His offensive game is more effective than flashy but it’s there

Besides defending off the rush (needs work) he’s a defensive wiz.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You should watch all of these players and you'll understand why this was an unnecessary post. These players are all nothing alike.
Yeah wasn’t Broberg an athletic offensive player who had IQ concerns? High bust high ceiling? Seems to be trending to the former. I could be wrong about that.

Can’t remember Juolevi’s game when drafted so I can’t remember. But yeah these player comps don’t seem right to me.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
He will. Against his peers he stands out. He’s already had successful seasons playing top minutes in the pros as a teen. I feel he is seriously underrated by even the MTL fanbase
I watched some games of Laval with Reinbacher and he was the best Dman, even at 19 years old. And this is not because AHL is an easy league. He was supporting the offense. Made nice pass and his strong on the puck. To be that much important in the AHL is already showing that he is going to have a bright NHL career

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I watched some games of Laval with Reinbacher and he was the best Dman, even at 19 years old. And this is not because AHL is an easy league. He was supporting the offense. Made nice pass and his strong on the puck. To be that much important in the AHL is already showing that he is going to have a bright NHL career

I'll always be bitter towards the kid because we could have had Michkov/Leonard and Demidov in the pipeline. I hope he makes me regret doubting him, I just don't get the hype at all compared to what Kent passed on

Reactions: mdk

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Right on @Hins77 he’s a great skater, covers. Lot of ice fast. Kind of like Guhle. I find he’s very physical without looking for big if that makes sense. He also likes to jump in as the fourth attacker. I’m excited to see him settle in with a stable environment And flourish.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I'll always be bitter towards the kid because we could have had Michkov/Leonard and Demidov in the pipeline. I hope he makes me regret doubting him, I just don't get the hype at all compared to what Kent passed on
It's simple. It is far easier to get a Leonard or Michkov than a #1 or #2 defenseman.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
It's simple. It is far easier to get a Leonard or Michkov than a #1 or #2 defenseman.
Could have got it this year though, much more trade value with Michkov as well if there was an issue. I don't see Reinbacher going before any of the top 3-4 this year, do you? You think he would be a top 3 dman? Michkov's don't come along very often

Reactions: Michelangelo

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Could have got it this year though, much more trade value with Michkov as well if there was an issue. I don't see Reinbacher going before any of the top 3-4 this year, do you? You think he would be a top 3 dman? Michkov's don't come along very often
Who knows with Rein, how he pans out. It would be interesting to have both mich and Demi.

Reactions: Habs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
They literally came along the next year with more size and better skating and less character question marks…and we got him.

No idea why you’re pining for Michkov and hypothetical top D man when Demidov and Rein is just as good.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
They literally came along the next year with more size and better skating and less character question marks…and we got him.

No idea why you’re pining for Michkov and hypothetical top D man when Demidov and Rein is just as good.

I was rooting for Leonard or Michkov, grab a D this year who I think will be much better than Reinbacher. Not saying I'm right, I just like the D prospects this year 100x more than The Bach. If the kid turns out to be more than a 3-4 Dman and Michkov blows, guess I'll look stupid, it happens.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Couldn't he also end up as an Alzner type, or worse?

It's anecdotal, but it feels like the qualities that Reinbacher gets praise for is eerily similar to guys like Alzner (5th overall), Juolevi (5th overall), Broberg (8th overall) etc.

I've thought before that the guys who get labelled "safe" are actually often more risky than the players with some elite attribute.

I'm not trying to hate on Reinbacher, just explaining why I, and likely many others still have our doubts.

Confirmation bias.

He is closer to an Heiskanen/Dobson type than the Juolevi or Alzner.

Reinbacher plays an elite transition game my friend.

Dont know where the notion that he is a safe pick come from? Maybe because he is perceived as having a high floor.

But still, its an absolute upside pick and we aim for a top pair RHD here and its extremely hard to find, similar to a 1C.

**RH defenseman.

Top pair LHD are easier to find. We are a good example of that.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I agree, no reason to rush either guy.
Dominating in the AHL would be good for development. This team as it is today is a lottery team, it might be better off for those two to be in the A
Subban started 09-10 in the AHL too and only played a few regular season games due to injuries. Im concinved that AHL time was crucial for him as when he was called upon in the middle of a playoff run he did better than anyone could have reasonably expected out of a rookie gping against Ovie and Sid. There is never a drawback to playing in the AHL, especially for defenseman.

I rather have someone spend too long in the AHL than get rushed, get burned and then have fans start calling the player out.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I was rooting for Leonard or Michkov, grab a D this year who I think will be much better than Reinbacher. Not saying I'm right, I just like the D prospects this year 100x more than The Bach. If the kid turns out to be more than a 3-4 Dman and Michkov blows, guess I'll look stupid, it happens.
Was there a better RD than Reinbacher though? I don't think there was anyone rated as high except maybe Levshunov and he went 2nd overall.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Subban started 09-10 in the AHL too and only played a few regular season games due to injuries. Im concinved that AHL time was crucial for him as when he was called upon in the middle of a playoff run he did better than anyone could have reasonably expected out of a rookie gping against Ovie and Sid. There is never a drawback to playing in the AHL, especially for defenseman.

I rather have someone spend too long in the AHL than get rushed, get burned and then have fans start calling the player out.
I generally like the AHL stints too. And I advocated for it with Hutson.

But he looked so incredible at the end of the year when we called him up. It's hard to say that he's not ready now. I think he's going to be with us from game one onward. Mailloux and RB I think will wind up in the AHL. We'll see though. Hutson starting is obviously not a certainty.

Reactions: jaffy27

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
I also wanted Michkov/Leonard/Benson last year, but since we got Demidov I'm pretty happy looking back that we got Reinbacher.

I wonder who we could've gotten this year that would have the same profile as Reinbacher?

The only Ds I would've wanted at 5 were Parekh or Buium who profile both as more offensive defensemen.

Idk if I'd want a D core of:
Guhle - Parekh
Hutson - Mailloux

Although I wouldn't have minded both Michkov and Demidov back-to-back, but we'd then be missing that big RD prospect.

Reactions: Habs

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Confirmation bias.

He is closer to an Heiskanen/Dobson type than the Juolevi or Alzner.

Reinbacher plays an elite transition game my friend.

Dont know where the notion that he is a safe pick come from? Maybe because he is perceived as having a high floor.

But still, its an absolute upside pick and we aim for a top pair RHD here and its extremely hard to find, similar to a 1C.

**RH defenseman.

Top pair LHD are easier to find. We are a good example of that.
I completely agree with your view of Reinbacher. The kid will be better than most D this year if not all. Including Lev. He’s bigger, skates VERY well, great in transition actually knows what he’s doing in his own end( unlike Parekh/Yakemchuk) . I feel people judge talent on flash. This kid will be a stud. There’s a reason why teams wanted to trade up for him and not Michkov. Michkov was a walking red flag with question marks. We made the right pick. I personally liked Leonard a lot. But having watched Reinbacher at the WJC, he could have easily made team Canada with his size and skill set. For whatever reason, I find it crazy how few people are excited that we scored a serious pillar for the next decade.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I hope Reinbacher ends Mitchkov career with the biggest bodycheck the NHL as never seen.
Someone would have an aneurysm for sure.
Muhaha Emoticon

• Love
Reactions: Benstheman

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That D corps has so much balance and offensive upside. The future looks bright for us there. Engstrom is a total sleeper and I can’t wait for more Habs fans to come around and see why RB was drafted 5th overall. I’m really high on him ever since he got my attention at the WJC two years ago on a shit Austria team.
This was one of Hughes' key phrases when talking about team building. We can see it on the back end for sure.
It's also possibly going to play out in the crease with a Montembeault Primeau duo.
He's also looked to do that at center with Dach Newhook Beck Flojack Demidov and Hage all potential candidates.
Our wings are still weak but depending on who graduates as a center there is also great potential there on the wing.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad